Botcon 2011 Exclusive Drag Strip

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Drag Strip is the fourth Stunticon included in the; Botcon 2011 Stunticon Box Set. She uses the same mold as Arcee, and isn't the six-wheeled speedster that we're all used to. Here is the review for Transformers Animated Drag Strip, as envisioned by FunPub.

Drag Strip

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: In alt mode, Drag Strip looks out of place. It's the only Cybertronian race car among the Stunticons, though some could argue that it's just a stylized one instead. Point is, it just doesn't really fit in very well with the entire gang. Besides that, the toy sure doesn't look cheap. I also have a difficult time with this mold in general. Whenever I transform Drag Strip/Arcee into alt mode, the parts don't always line up perfectly. There are just way too many rotating parts to align it all correctly. Unlike with Arcee, I prefer keeping the wings attached to Drag Strip.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: Drag Strip really benefits from all the paint apps on the figure. Since there isn't a new head for this toy, they went all out to bling this toy out with color. Nothing else has been changed. There isn't a single loose joint, or ugly paint app on my figure at all. Drag Strip still has the dumpy level of articulation as Arcee, which doesn't mean much.

[​IMG]

Overall: I thought Arcee was alright, and was seriously underwhelmed with the toy since it was so hard to get one. Drag Strip uses the same mold, but it works. If Arcee had gotten as many paint apps as Drag Strip did, I'd probably think otherwise. Even though Drag Strip doesn't get a new head, FunPub did come up with a fantastic deco for her. Sure she feels a little out of place, but maybe that's the point. It's a girl in a man's world.

(For more pics and Reviews: The Rabbit Haul)

2. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DAT LAST PIC. Damn, you take good pics man. I love this whole set. I think your right though that her vehicle mode doesn't fit as well. Shes still great. They nailed the paint on her. Looks awesome with the team.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like how they at least painted her lips.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do the swords fit in the hands on yours? Mine doesn't. Or at least if it does, I fear that it will stress the thumbs much like it did on Arcee.

I'm thinking about shaving some plastic off the sword handles like I did with Arcee's.

5. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spanks! I actually rushed all of these Botcon reviews so that I'd get them all done. Maybe with a little more TLC I can get better pictures up.

They fit, but I didn't notice any problems. If anything I think you should shave the inside of the hands. If you shave the sword, the clear plastic would look kinda ugly. I'll take a look at the figure again in a bit to make sure. Otherwise, I do find it pretty hard to stick the swords into the car for both toys... I forgot to mention that.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    There's the two edges along the wide, flat side on each side of the handles that makes the handles too wide for the hands.

I shaved one side's edge down a little for Arcee's swords and it worked well. It's practically unnoticeable cosmetically.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Was surprised that it definitely feels like a character of its own, not just a simple Arcee repaint. The colors and amount of paintapps do wonders!

8. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I looked at it and you're right. Does Arcee's swords feel a little loose once you shave them down? I practically jammed the swords in for Drag Strip and didn't notice and stress marks, but I know what you're talking about. Maybe shaving the nubs down a little bit might be good.

Thanks for the heads up

9. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Shaving the edges was what I did for TFA Arcee's swords. Did it on both sides, so that they remain symmetrical. I did test them out, putting the swords in the hands regularly so that they'll just fit and not shave too much to cause any loose-ness.

Oh yeah, thanks for all the Botcon reviews, CookSux. :thumbs2: 

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Nope.

But I was rather careful about not shaving too much plastic off. I just shaved a little off at a time until it fit perfectly.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    LOVE the cocked shoulder pic. :lol 

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    It's a good thing I already own this sexy figure, otherwise I would've now had to run to eBay and get it thanks to those great pictures. THANKS ALOT

14. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Dragstrip is a straight-up repaint (no new head mold) of Animated Arcee, so this review here will focus mainly on the differences between the two figures.

Robot Mode: Unlike some of the other Botcon 2011 figures Dragstrip did not get a new head mold, so the robot mode is unchanged except for the color scheme. G1 Dragstrip served as template here, of course, so the basic color is yellow. Now G1 Dragstrip was pretty much all-yellow except for his wheels (black) and his engine/chest (silver), but Botcon Dragstrip was allowed a bit more diversity, breaking up the yellow with black and adding lots of purple highlights.

The Arcee head mold makes for a surprisingly good Dragstrip, though, once the colors of the G1 figure (blue face, purple helmet) are applied. And while there have been no changes to the facial features, either, the new colors somehow manage to turn Arcee’s rather neutral expression into one that looks sufficiently pissed. Add the blood-red swords and you’ve got one dangerous-looking dame. So the bottom line here: great new paint job for a great robot mode. I like it.

Alternate Mode: The challenge here is, of course, that G1 Dragstrip transformed into a Formula 1 racer, while Animated Arcee transforms into some kind of futuristic / alien car thing. Still, both cars have a black cockpit, a big spoiler, and are mostly yellow, so there is a good deal of similarity. Not a whole lot more I can say here. The vehicle mode looks good, no complaints.

Remarks: When the Botcon Stunticons were announced my money was on Animated Blurr being repainted into Dragstrip, but instead they made Dragstrip a girl and used Arcee. I don’t have a problem with that, though. Dragstrip’s appearance in the Botcon 2011 comic book was rather short. She was your basic sarcastic, angry female warrior, capable of kicking ass with the best of them, but had no personality beyond that (and no resemblance to the character profile of G1 Dragstrip beyond the signature phrase, either). Oh, and she played the role of the damsel in distress in the Stunt Convoy Show (not very convincingly at that).

I’m a big fan of the Animated Arcee figure, so I have absolutely no problems with getting a repaint of it. A new head mold would have been nice here, too, but the existing one does a bang-up job as well. So really, no complaints. Just a slight downgrade from the straight A rating I gave Arcee for the simple fact that Dragstrip is “just” a repaint. Still, a very nice figure.

Rating: A-

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Such a great figure, she is the sleeper hit of the box set.