Botcon 2011 Exclusive Dead End

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 8, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Dead End, the third Stunticon included in the Botcon 2011 Stunticon Box Set, uses the same mold as Jazz. Here is the review for Fubpubs take on Transformers Animated Dead End.

Dead End

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Transformers Animated Jazz has a pretty slick alt mode, with an ingenious weapon storage method. Dead End using this mold is a strange choice, but I can accept it. Of all the molds that were used for the Stunticons, Dead End looks the most like an Autobot. That may be why his character is so depressed. The arm panels, on mine, don't sit perfectly flush in this mode, and*it has a few sloppy paint apps. Dead End reminds me of a bumblebee in this mode, but all things considered... this toy isn't too bad as a Jazz repaint.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: I never understood how Takara or Hasbro would be able to repaint Jazz into another character. The sculpt has such a distinct enough look, that it'd be pretty impossible. Fanspub threw on some facial hair, ala Shattered Glass Hot Rod, and now it's a new figure. I still get the Jazz vibe from it, but it's lessened with the drastic redeco. Dead End is a really good attempt, and it reminds me of Batroc the Leaper. That must have been intentional. The shoulder joints on my figure are a little too stiff for my tastes, and I can't remember if the chest locks down in this mode. If not, seems like United/Reveal the Shield Jazz is a second strike on the character.

[​IMG]

Overall: Besides the few flaws in the paint apps, Dead End is otherwise a pretty solid figure. If I had to rank the Stunticons, I'd say that he's on the lower end of the list. Don't get me wrong, the Stunticons are all good... it's just that Dead End seems the least impressive to me.

(For more pics and reviews: The Rabbit Haul)

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    He's definitely not as cool as Motormaster, Drag Strip, and especially Breakdown, but his paintjob is really slick. Definitely love this guy.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just liked him in the script reading with the incredibly deadpan robotic-like voice.

4. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that was awesome.

5. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pictures, click on the image above

Prelude: Dead End is a straight-up repaint of the Animated figure Jazz, so this review will focus mainly on the differences between the two figures.

Robot Mode: First off, Dead End is one of the figures who did not get a new head mold for their Botcon release, so he's got the same noggin' as Jazz. That works out well, though. In order to emphasize Dead End's rather bleak, goth-style outlook in life, he's gotten a black goatee, which makes his expression look sufficiently depressed. The rest of his body is mostly a dark burgundy, which is both relatively close to the paint-job of his G1 predecessor (though he was more brown than purple) and also dark enough for a self-styled goth (though there could have been more black, I guess). Very nicely done.

Apart from the color, nothing else has changed about the robot mode. He carries the same weapons as Jazz, of course, though the profile text calls them mini bazookas instead. Works for me, too. Posability is still awesome and everything fits together very nicely, so absolutely no reason to complain about anything here. Two thumbs up.

Alternate Mode: Dead End's vehicle mode is, of course, identical to that of Jazz except for the color. Here the similarity to G1 Dead End is even more pronounced than in robot mode, mostly because of the rather distinctive racing stripe that runs across the entire length of the car. Sure, the car is a completely different model than it was in G1, but apart from that, a very good match. Nothing new to write here apart from that, though. A top notch vehicle mode.

Remarks: Just like all the other Animated Stunticons, Dead End's sole appearance to date was in the Botcon 2011 comic book "The Stunti-Con Job", where he and the other Stunticons posed as Autobot actors in order to break Megatron out of prison. I think Dead End was actually the one with the least lines, which somewhat fits his image, of course. He didn't do anything of consequence in the comic book, so not a whole lot I can write here. The figure itself, though, is very nicely done and, in this case, actually trumps the original it was repainted from, at least in my mind. He just looks better to me than Animated Jazz. Can't give you a concrete reason for that, just a subjective feeling. Anyway, I wouldn't call Dead End the best of the set, but he's near the top and definitely worth getting for all Animated, Stunticon, or goth fans.

Rating: B+

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I originally figured Dead End would be one of my least-favorites out of the Stunticon set, but it turned out closer to the top (with Breakdown at the very top). Most TFA toys are distinctive enough it's tough not to see them as Yellow Arcee, Black Optimus, crazy-face Lockdown. I guess the Jazz mold (and the Rodimus mold) has enough of a "generic car-former" vibe going it's less difficult to pass it off as a different character.