Botcon 2010 Sky-Byte Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Primeconvoy1, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't see any reviews for the new Botcon 2010 Sky-Byte figure from the G2 Redux boxset, so I wanted share my thoughts.

Vehicle Mode

Sky-byte is a repainted and slightly retooled Energon Sharkticon. His vehicle mode is a spaceship/boat with some shark elements incorporated into the design. To me, the ship mode resembles something either out of Space Battleship Yamato or Captain Harlock more than a shark.

The paint apps are probably the highlights for this figure. He has a Predacon symbol and two shark eyes tampographed to the front of the vehicle mode. He also has paint apps of red, green, yellow, gold, pink, and silver adorning his body. I was impressed with all the paint apps that brought out the details of this figure.

A blue metallic flake paint appears to have been used for the front of the main body. It really makes the figure pop!

The vehicle mode has four turret guns, two on the front deck and one on each side. The turrets rotate 360 degrees and the guns move up and down. The vehicle mode also hides two spring powered launchers when you pull the front sides out. These also rotate for maximum range.

Transformation

The transformation is pretty simplistic. The lower half folds down to become the waist and legs. The tail-fins in the back unfold to become the arms, and the upper front half folds down to the back while revealing the head. Some might complain about the back kibble, but it's only a minor gripe.

Robot Mode

Sky-Byte's robot mode is a nice homage to his RID design. The Sharkticon head has been replaced with a new design resembling Sky-Byte's almost constipated expression. Again the paint apps real stand out. The designers did a nice job mimicking the paint scheme from the RID figure. Using the Sharkticon mold was a good choice for Sky-byte.

The figure has decent articulation with rotating shoulders, elbow joints, thigh cuts, and knees joints. The head can turn 360 degrees and also pivots slightly up and down. Sky-Byte can also use the hidden launchers in robot mode.

Overall, I was expecting to like Sky-byte the least out of this set, but that's reserved for Streetstar. Like I said, the paints are some of the best I've seen on a Transformer. If you have an opportunity to obtain Sky-byte, get him! He's a great figure, and a welcome addition to the collection.

I would end this with a haiku, but I'm not that clever. :p 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More thoughts...

[​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Sky-Byte here is a repaint (complete with new head) of the Energon figure Sharkticon. But it’s been over five years since I reviewed Sharkticon, so Sky-Byte gets the full treatment.

Robot Mode: The choice of Energon Sharkticon as basis for this figure was a good choice, as it’s both a good mold in general and also has a certain amount of similarity to the original Sky-Byte from RID, especially with the appropriate paint job applied. The torso is a near 1:1 match to that of the RID figure and the rest of the paint job is also very close. The only thing that was changed about the mold itself is the head, which now sports Sky-Byte’s trademark shark grin.

The Energon figures were already quite posable, so Sky-Byte isn’t far behind the modern-day standard in terms of posability. He can adopt quite a few menacing poses, especially given the fins/blades on his arms. In terms of weapons he can unfold two missile launchers from the large backpack he carries (which doesn’t unbalance him in any way, though) and deploy them under his arms.

Not much more I can write here. A very good homage to a classic character, both in choice of mold and color. Thumbs up.

Alternate Mode: The original Sky-Byte became a techno-organic shark, so having this figure here transform into a Science Fiction style submarine (occasionally doubling as an air or space ship, apparently) is keeping with the general theme. There really aren’t enough naval alternate modes in Transformer history, so I’m happy for every single one. And Sky-Byte becomes a pretty cool-looking submarine with the Predacon logo up front and the various weapon turrets spread over the length of his body. The missile launchers can deploy in this mode as well. So no complaints about the vehicle mode, it is both a good choice for the character and a good mode on its own.

Remarks: This version of Sky-Byte here was part of the 2010 Botcon set and played a part in the accompanying comic book. There is little to connect him story-wise to the original Sky-Byte, instead he appeared as an agent of the Quintessons (despite being called a Predacon like the original and having the appropriate allegiance symbol, too) and served as leader of a trio of Sharkticons (all three of them also repaints of Energon Sharkticon). Exposure to the mysterious energy called forestonite gave him RID Sky-Byte’s signature weapon, the Tsunami Blaster, an energy beam coming out of his chest.

Now I’m not going to start on how the G2-themed Botcon set contains almost no figures that actually debuted in G2, because I’d much rather enjoy the fact that we finally have a new Sky-Byte figure, nearly a decade after the original one came out. And considering that the original Sky-Byte was a repaint, too, (who remembers TM2 Cybershark?) it’s somewhat fitting that he is one yet again. Energon Sharkticon was a perfect choice for this and while this is certainly not the most spectacular figure ever, it’s pretty much a must for every fan of the greatest shark in town.

Rating: B+

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    * The Sharkticon mold was already a very nice, if kinda simple, design.
    * Paint job is very colorful and strong (not the G2 theme strong, but good). The deep indigo blue is especially nice.

Cons:
    * Head sculpt Looks like Sky-Byte, but doesn't quite match up style-wise with the mold it's attached to. The toothy grimace could use a little more 'oomph' to impart some personality. The paint was scraped off the nose on mine, but that's (probably) not the toy's fault.
    * The soft plastic/vinyl used on the fins is easily bent in an unattractive way, and stays there.

Overall: The best use of the Energon Sharkticon mold so far. I'd be curious to see the original headmold on it in matching colors.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Strong desire for this
    Cannot afford shark on shelf
    Megs will never love him.

(Cheated on the last line, but if you swallow the second syllable of "never" it works when you recite it. Also, couldn't come up with anything funnier.)

5. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    funny one this, because the original doesn't really need an update at all, especially using a mold which is retro in terms of todays standards anyway.... he is really nice tho, and I'm sure he'd look great in anyone's collection!

Sharkticon mold is superb and very G1 in it's detail, so he should fit with anyone's collection