Botcon 2010 - should it only use Universe molds?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Or should they continue to use molds from Energon and Cybertron as well?

Although I can't afford to buy any Botcon toys, I do like to take an interest in what toys do get produced regardless of that fact.

I'm tired of seeing molds from Armada, Energon and Cybertron being used. 2009 was almost unavoidable since they had used most of Classics for Shattered Glass.

Although newer toys don't guarantee quality, and certainly some people may be put off buying a Botcon toy that they only recently paid a regular retail price for the standard Universe toy, I will say that I find modern toys to be more interesting than ones released some years ago.

The only mold I would like from Energon or Cybertron is another Voyager since Inferno is the only new Voyager mold. Classics Voyager Megatron would be more preferable but he's off-limits because he becomes a gun.

Although reusing a mold they've used for a previous Botcon is certainly an option, its one I'd like to stay away from when imagining what toys could be used.

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    No. I think you need to use other molds too. Eg: say that want to do G2 Megs. No decent tank molds in Classics / Universe - so you've got to go further afield.

3. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

I really want to see a G2 repaint of Energon Bruticus and Superion in this set

4. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

sorry. Double post.

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I could see them using some if it fit the character right. Like Energon Starscream again for Hooligan.

6. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I hope to see a g2 repaint of the skyfire mold

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd love it if the set is Classics/Universe molds only. I personally am sick of A/E/C repaints.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  8. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

Yeah, well maybe some cybertron molds though.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they've tapped most of the really good Eneron and Cybertron molds already, although I'd say any Energon/Cybertron molds that were in production during the last few waves of Universe are fair and likely game for this year's exclusives. The cement truck guy from Cybertron, for example.

10. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

Mixmaster? Maybe?

11. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In G2 yellow or orange? :eek: 

I'll take it!

12. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can't be objective about this because I have no interest in E/C/A molds and am a classics whore. On a selfish note, I only want the Universe/Classics molds if I am able to scratch up enough money to buy the set myself this year.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Restricting 2010 to be only U2 molds is shortsighted because then what happens for 2011?

The club toys have already used 3 of the U2 molds. The Dinobot/Cheetor U2 molds probably won't get used. Thus it's already slim pickings for U2 molds: Prowl, Tankor, Galvatron, Ironhide, Hound/Ravage, Inferno & the 3 Ultras. That leaves 9 molds for presuambly at least 10 toys(granted probably a couple re-uses...).

For 2011 Movie molds likely can't be used, Animated molds are possibly questionable, Generations/PCC molds would quite possibly be too new to use then, so then 2011 would be in the same boat as 2009 and be 'stuck' with using AEC molds again.

Use some of the U2 molds, but pull out a couple AEC molds too. Heck, the U2 Ultras are near over-used territory with all of Hasbro's repaints. A repaint of E.Bulkhead would probably be 'fresher' than a repaint of U2 Silverbolt or Powerglide.

(I'm guessing Onslaught, painted as Clench/Colossus, will be the 2nd 'biggie' in the boxed set, but then there's gotta be at least 1 more 'biggie' for the bagged sets, please not Silverbolt or Powerglide)

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hightail would make a mighty fine Road Pig.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think the best way forward is to just use the best fit for the molds available.

I also think Rotorstorm as an Evac repaint would work. And I could see Octane / Tankor as Clench. The truck mode is a closer fit to the original vehicle than Ultra Onslaught. True the robot mode would be a bit off, but not all that much once you get past the wings.

Also I believe there is nothing to stop a mold being used for both the Club already and for Botcon, and I'm personally rooting for a black Sideswipe repaint done up like the G2 version.

16. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since FunPub took over, hasn't it generally been the case that all Botcon exclusives are molds that were either currently in use or recently in use in a mainline? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. That being the case, I think we'll see a combination of the Energon/Cybertron molds that have recently been used in Universe, as well as the new Universe molds Edgewise mentioned above.

Also, I've not entirely abandoned the potential of offscreen movie molds... the licensed stuff I can understand, but I've never heard/seen conclusive proof that ALL movie toys are permanently verboten from future use.

I'm guessing Animated molds for next year, considering they'll be in use for the Takara Animated line throughout 2010, and at that point, there really isn't much left to choose from.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Go look at any of the movie toy's packaging, even the offscreen characters. See where is says Paramount on the bottom? Instant no go.

Animated is probably in the same boat due to being related to Cartoon Network.

As far as I'm concerned, it's better to use whatever mold best fits the character then to try and keep it limited to molds from a single toyline.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Energon molds were used last year that hadn't seen retail release in nearly five years. YMMV as far as what constitutes "recent use."

And I don't believe this to be reneging on their stated strategy. I think they've just been restricted based on the unavailability of other lines and have to reach further back.

19. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder if the whole "movie molds are permanently off limits" started because we knew about GM licensing royalties + Bay getting a piece of movie toy royalties... limitations that obviously make it next to impossible for those to be used in the future. How far that limitation extends, I don't know, nor do I think any of us really do.
    Right, but I'd attribute that limitation to the toy being packaged/branded as a Paramaount productions "Revenge of the Fallen" toy. If Hasbro decides to take ROTF Dirge or Brawn (characters NOT designed by Bay and crew), repaint them and repackage them in the Generations line, what say does Paramount have over that? Seriously, if my lawyers had let me sign away the right to EVERY product I developed, even those that were designed and engineered entirely by my own internal team, I'd have to fire them. :lol 

Again, I've never seen a straightforward, complete answer to the question, so I'm not sure.

Yep, you're absolutely right.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Might be a good one for the next Hasbro Q&A session, that one. Or a Botcon panel.