BotCon 2010 - Gen2 themed or really Euro themed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by griffin-of-oz, Jun 9, 2010.

1. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    It was brought up a while back when the boxset figures were revealed, that it wasn't very Gen2. Now that more figures have shown up that could also be BotCon toys, I had a look at the ratio of actual Gen2 characters in a set that is labelled as Gen2.

The result is thinking that this set is wrongly labelled as Gen2, as the majority of figures are European, not Gen2.

This follows the recent speculation of a Scorponok redeco and a Hound/Ravage redeco as BotCon toys, throwing out the balance even further away from Gen2.

So far known - Spark, Clench, Breakdown, Streetstar/Streetwise, Skybyte.
    Likely - Gnaw, Rapido, Scorch, Ravage.
    Possible - Doublepunch, Slicer.

When Sorted into their eras:

Gen2 original characters/toys:
    (none)

Gen2 redeco of a Gen1 toy/character
    - Breakdown
    - Streetwise (called Streetstar for legal reasons)

Hasbro Euro Gen1 (later repacked into Gen2)
    - Spark
    - Clench
    - Rapido

---------------------------------------

Hasbro Euro Gen1
    - Scorch
    - Slicer
    - Doublepunch

Hasbro Gen1
    - Gnaw

Robots in Disguise
    - Skybyte

FunPub's Shattered Glass/Mirror-verse
    - Ravage

(IF they decide to rework the character of Streetwise into Streetstar after having to rename it, then that's a JP Gen1 toy, throwing the balance even further away from Gen2 content.)

Last year was great to have homages to several Euro characters, as does this year with Pyro/Spark, Clench, Slicer, Doublepunch, Scorch and Rapido. But why not call it a Euro theme, and do a proper committed Gen2 theme later with actual Gen2 Characters?
    I doubt we'll see another BotCon that homages Gen2, as it's one of the least popular eras by fans.

If the 11 figures above are all correct and no others show up, we have:

5 Gen2 toys (Breakdown, Spark, Clench, Streetwise, Rapido)
    Vs
    6 Euro toys (Spark, Clench, Rapido, Scorch, Slicer, Doublepunch)

Less than half are Gen2 related.

So how many Original toys and characters were actually produced for Gen2 you ask?

36 -
    Dreadwing, Smokescreen
    Jolt, Sizzle, Volt, Electro
    Roadrocket, Roadpig
    Manta Ray, Leadfoot, Ransack, Powerdive
    Roadblock, Dirtbag
    Air Raid, Strafe, Jetfire, Skyjack, Spacecase, Hooligan
    Highbeam, Firecracker, Doubleclutch, Motormouth, Gearhead, Blowout
    Ironhide, Meanstreak, Bulletbike, Staxx
    Jetstorm, Deluge, Gobots, Drench
    Archforce, Sureshot

I wonder if they tried to do redeco homages to some of those 36 Toys/Characters that originated in Gen2, so that this year's set of toys would be considered without a doubt, Generation 2?
    I know that the BotCon people can't reveal the at-Con toys, but I'd be interested in seeing if anyone can at least say if we will be getting any toys from that list of 36? Or if they were just really unlucky and had every submitted Gen2 homage idea rejected by Hasbro.

As it stands, all we have (so far known) is 5 Gen2 characters that originated in Gen1, and the rest from other eras.

I'm a huge fan of BotCon (travelled over 300,000kms to 10 BotCons so far), and am keen to get the toys - I'm just puzzled as to the Gen2 theme this year, if it doesn't look like we are getting toys or guests that are Gen2 themed.

2. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I actually embrace Rapido as a G2 character. He may have started as a laaaaate G1 figure, but he is best known for his G2 stint.

I don't actually count Breakdown or Streetwise (I refuse to use that silly Streetstar name) in the G2 numbers. One was a BotCon exclusive and the other was seen as a prototype. They certainly weren't mass produced in any way, shape or form. Based on the info I have seen, there were only 300 G2 Breakdowns produced (204 for BotCon). I would imagine there are far less G2 Streetwise Prototypes floating around.

So yes, I agree the set name is a misnomer. Rather disappointing to me. I grew up in the G2 era. This set is very far from G2. It's more like G1.5 with some RiD, Shattered Glass and G1 sprinkled in.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This is where the Redux part is important... I more or less see this as an obscure character series which is what I like for Botcon, but it has the feel of G2 with the outrageous color schemes. So to think it was supposed to be G2 isn't fair to the set, it's not G2-based, it's G2 in spirit. Now there are a ton of Euro-G1s but with Sky-byte, Gnaw, Streetstar, and Breakdown I think it balances out pretty well, and I expect the rest of the souvenirs to do so as well.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    bingo, was about to post this

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This. It's G2-themed because that's what Fun Pub branded it as, so asking what it "really is" is mostly irrelevant. And it can't be considered completely European; if that was the case, Rapido's windows would be pink (then again, I wish they were). And as the OP points out himself, Breakdown, Streetwise, Gnaw, and especially Sky-byte have nothing to do with Euro-guys.

Frankly, I couldn't care less -what- it's called, I just enjoy what we're getting. If I had to choose between a "G2-originated only" set and a "pseudo-G2" set, I would definitely be happier to get Spark and Clench than Bulletbike and Gobots.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with this, and I'm fine with it. I mostly want more obscure characters for my CHUG shelves...

Let's see an Action Master themed Botcon next year to get more characters!

Chris (was already married when G2 started....)

7. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel that if they were going to call the set G2 redux they should have at least threw in a few G2 characters. Give me Jhiaxus or hooligan! But I do like a lot of what Ive seen so it aint all bad.(ill still complain though : P)

8. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How about Classics characters that had G2 counterparts in those color schemes? I'd have dug that. Black classics Sideswipe. Blue classics Grimlock. That sort of thing.

9. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Totally agree. It would not have been that hard to do. On a related note, why not a purple Ramjet too? And to be honest, I would have rather seen Hound's mold used for Swindle. A new head would have been nice, but not entirely necessary.

I suppose the redux part is simply introducing the US to previously obscure European characters around the G2 era.

10. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I'm glad that we didn't get that. Not that I wouldn't appreciate the homages, but for me, new characters to put on my shelves is better than alternate colors of the guys I already have

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I agree with this. I am so glad that we got new characters instead of funky colored characters that already is lined up with the other CHUG-figs.

Krok would be wonderful to have in CHUG version.

12. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's mainly all BotCon toys are. Just current toys repainted to have older dudes names as homages with the occasional new head here or there.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's Tofu G2.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter how's it's G2 as long as they make Space case.

15. Abrogate

News Credits:
    That's how it is for any recolored toy, regardless of whether it was made for Botcon. But, the character it represent counts to us OCD folks :p 

16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Someone mentioned on another site (I think it was CJ on the club boards now that I think about it...) but the whole announcement that it was "G2 Redux" in many ways set themselves up for dissapointment...if we hadn't seen these in advance I'd be feeling REALLY let down by the set come Botcon afternoon...NOT because it's a bad set...I really do like the set, but because for me G2 is where I officially grew from "guy who occasionally buys toys" to "Full blown completist!" and there are some pretty iconic looks in G2 that could have EASILY been the choices instead of what we are (alledgedly) getting....

Spark & Clench...Spark may not be my first choice...but I like Clench a lot...

BREAKDOWN...PERFECT! With his Botcon history and colors this on screams Botcon exclusive....

SLIPSTREAM....We have a name for the purple Ramjet deco thanks to Animated...so the classic G2 deco as a new character. As much as I like Slicer I'd say swap out Slicer for Slipstream

RAPIDO....Again PERFECT!!!

TURBOFIRE....IMHO the deco fits the mold better than the Scorch deco AND fits the G2 theme MUCH better :) 

SKRAM...Maybe it's just me, but Speedstar really doesn't feel that special...a Skram deco on the mold would fit just as well...or take the Slicer mold and give us Windbreaker :) 

As for the possibility of Double Punch...I'm really not feeling that one quite yet either...I'd prefer either a Jhiaxus or have a couple more deluxes instead of one larger 'bot and throw Hooligan from E Starscream and Space Case in the mix...IMHO it would certainly feel a lot more like a G@ redux...still give us some good obscurity

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^Well said, man! :D 

^Ditto! ;) 

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pete@Botcon stated over at the TFClub that the true theme of the Botcon 2010 set set won't be really known until the Botcon. This set should have been called "G2 Lite" IMHO.:sly: 

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Euro-G1? None of them were packaged in G1, they were all Generation 2. Generation 2 started with redecoed cheaper Generation 1 toys.

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Nope...I was still collecting thanks to a buddy with connections in Europe so I got plenty of Euro G1 toys before G2 ever started...Spark, Clench, Rapido, Scorch, and if the rumors are true Double Punch and Slicer were ALL G1...Scorch, Slicer and Double Punch were NEVER in G2 packaging.