botcon 2010 breakdown...how much?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SwindlesShop, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Okay so I REALLY want him.
    But I cant attend botcon :/ How much do you think he's gonna be??
    I really wanna just see if any of you guys will pick one up for me and I'll pay the cost.

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Iacon non-attending boxset will probably cost around $300 if you are a club member (add $75 for non). If there's five figures in there then that works out to $60/figure plus or minus the value of the box and plus for the popular ones, minus for the less popular. If you only want breakdown your options are:

1) Buy him off ebay.
    Pros: Don't have to worry about the hassle of the other figures.
    Cons: No guarantee of figure. May end up paying crazy prices. May get a defective figure.

2) Find someone on the boards who is breaking up their sets, even better if it's a looseset.
    Pros: you can agree on a price before he goes to ebay.
    Cons: not many people can even begin to price and break up sets until we find out who else is in the box. Not always easy to find people breaking up sets.

3) Buy yourself a boxset and resell the other figures.
    Pros: if it's a popular set you may get breakdown on the cheap. Guarantees you the figure and if the club sends you a defective figure they'll replace it.
    Cons: if it's not a popular set or the club produces too many you may not make up the cost on the other figures. You have to front the ~$300 cost for the boxset. The club doesn't ship out non-attending boxsets until they return from the convention. You have to go to the trouble of ebaying/reselling the extra figures.

EDIT: Updated non-member prices. DO NOT pay non-member prices. Sign up as a member for $40 then buy the boxset. This will save you $35.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I don't plan on picking him up (not going to Botcon anyways), but because Breakdown is both part of the featured 5-main bot set (since a mini-con might be included ala SG's box set) AND he's the upgraded version of the very first BotCon exclusive, he's going to be very sought after and probably command high prices even in loose condition.

Now, unless you care about the whole "Exclusivity" of BC Breakdown 2.0, you could probbably commission a similar product from the Radicons section. It won't be the same, since the head won't be a perfect replica for starters, but in the long run it might actually be a cheaper alternative than trying to afford the real deal.

4. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also think Breakdown will be very popular so I'd go with option 3. Based on the figures/rumors we've heard if Pyro gets a new head he'll shoot up in popularity and he's a voyager so you can get a nice price. If Rapido is made and a part of the boxset he may not command as high a price as the Prowl mold is less popular and Rapido doesn't have the history Breakdown does.

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    He's going to be a lot guess a lot of people want him badly since to many things (great figure and paint job). Might be any where between $90-$200. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly this year. :lol 

6. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you talking about the paint-job or the scalping???? :D 

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha!

8. SwindlesShop

News Credits:
    aww damn :( 

9. SwindlesShop

News Credits:
    sooo i take it everybody wants their breakdown :p ? :( 

10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

:lol 
    :crazy: 
    Some people pay crazy prices for toys. I just can't imagine paying that much for that figure. But to each his own.

11. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    *Reminded of Botcon Scourge & his Sweeps from '09...*

:cry :cry :cry 

12. SwindlesShop

News Credits:
    yep yep :p  i blame ebay with its crazy prices forcing others to. the most ive ever spent was 150 on a MP grimlock :O but well worth it :) 

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Oh, I've spent amounts in that neighborhood, but for what I consider big, expensive stuff, such as Masterpieces. I just can't get into paying crazy money for something merely because it's an exclusive. Not my cup of tea.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Most likely. Besides his appeal on his own, he's part of a set people may not want to break up.

So option 3, like videriant said.

15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes because we all know that ebay forces people at gun point to post auctions for insanely high prices and to bid lots of money for something :rolleyes:  That's like blaming the road because someone drives fast.

Seriously though this subject comes up just about every year. As someone else pointed out, there's many options each with it's own pros and cons. In the end you'll most likely spending $150 or more to get one. You're best bet is to get one from Ebay. Trying to flip a non-attending set is very risky. By the time it shows up, the thrill of Botcon is a distant memory and the pool of people willing to pay high prices for individual figures from the boxset has shrunk incredibly if not evaporated entirely.

16. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's about the scalping and ebay. There are scaplers trying to make as much money for profit. While there are people that go to Botcon selling them just to recoup from the expenses of travel and hotels. Not saying either is right or wrong, but how it is for some people.

17. Hotspot17

News Credits:
    I'm talking about the scalping. :lol 

18. Flint

Flint Master of Useless Info

Wait a bit after the con to get a better judgement on price, sometimes patience pays off. But Breakdown does look pretty awesome, even I want him.

19. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Roads ARE responsbile for people driving fast. That's why the government is soooo slow to fix them. . . :D  And ebay doesn't put a gun to people's heads. It outsources. True story, had a guy show up at my house a couple months ago.

They announced the boxset yesterday. Here's my thoughts.
    Breakdown - with the new head, G2 update, and Botcon 94 homage this'll be very popular.
    Pyro - great mold, one of the big figures of the group. If he gets a new head he'll be pretty popular.
    Crosswise - If it's the Alert mold it'll be an instant hit. If it's the Prowl mold then you chances of making you $$$ back on him will depend on how many sets the club makes and how fast they sell out pre-registration.
    Clench - ???
    Sky-byte - some people seem to have a lot of love for the sharkticon mold but we don't know if this is the mold that will be used or the deco. Plus we don't know if there are a lot of people who like this mold or it they're just really loud.
    I believe that if you go with option three you'll be able to sell off the extra figures and get Breakdown for a reasonable price (<$100) but my risk level is different from yours.

20. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the number of people who use extras to make back their travel expenses I believe the term "price-gouging" covers both them and the scalpers.