BotCon 2009 5 page Comic Preview: Wings of Honor

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pete Sync, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

1. Well it suggests that if the Elite Guard still exists he left it at some point.
    2. It's not the classicverse from 2007 so no classic Grimlock thank god.
    3. Well it makes sense for Scourge to look like the toy thats in the boxset and for the Sweeps to look like Scourge. If they are going to use the lastest version for them may as well for Cyclonus too. Why Hotrod is in a new form I dont get. I thought it was the alternator version at first, and the classic mould has been used twice in the last two years so I dont really get that.
    4. Because Hasbro hasn't and again if they came out like Classic Grimlock I grateful for small mercies.

2. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    What's more of a waste: using two slots in the convention to create two toys shown in the comic -or- casting a new head mold for Scourge and not using it to also make a Sweep?

The present day story can certainly be more of the comic than what's just in this preview.

Sure, anything's possible. I didn't set out to make a list of every possibility, just saying what I was guessing. Either Skyquake or Leozak just seem really unlikely to be the attendee figure. We haven't seen that pattern before, though that certainly doesn't mean it can't be done. However it'd seem to me they'd be of more interest as a 2-pack purchase. But if I do need to enumerate then:

1. My most likely guess: Attendee bonus=Sweep, 2 pack #1=Skyquake & Leozak, 2 pack #2=Razorclaw & Unknown figure (perhaps Rampage from Energon Battle Ravage)

2. My second most likely guess: Attendee bonus=an unknown figure, 2 pack #1=Skyquake & Leozak, 2 pack #2=Razorclaw & an nknown figure, and a third 2(or 3) pack of Sweeps

3. My least likely guess: Attendee bonus=Skyquake or Leozak, 2 pack #1=2 Sweeps, 2 pack #2=Razorclaw and Leozak or Skyquake

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hrm. Scourge not being in the main part of the story makes me want him even less. Makes his presence in the box set pretty much pointless IMO.

4. Bogatan

News Credits:
    Well I did say if. I can certainly imagine the present day events interwaeving with the past story.

If you like Sweeps and this version of scourge Im sure it doesnt matter if theres a reason for them to be in this set, but upto three identical toys with very similar colours in a set doesnt really excite me a much as what could be done with two other radically different deluxes which would have actual personalities and have a role in the comic.

I dont have an issue with them I think they will look fine but it would still be two or three toys in the set that have nothing to do with the story of the creation of the elite guard feels a bit wasteful.

Similar to my view that Alpha Trion should have been released as a club exclusive to make room for one of the characters that played a part in that years comic to be made into a toy. It's a cool toy that I like a lot still didnt make sense being released as it was.

5. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I don't particularly care for these Sweeps and Scourge one way or the other... just talking about what I'm guessing is likely to happen.

1. I'm talking two toys, not three.

2. Scourge and the sweeps do have roles in the comic, Scourge has a distinct personality, and a Sweeps toy represents the drone personality.

3. I don't particularly care about what excites you, not saying I, myself, like it one way or another either, I'm just saying what I think is likely to be the case.

4. It might not be a fair comparison to say two other radically different deluxes... you seem to be implying two different molds which might have more complications than using 1 mold twice.

Again... I'm talking only two toys that do have something to do with whole of the story of the comic. You know, Razorclaw didn't have much to do with the story in the 2006 comic but he was quite desired.

And yes, you've already said you think it's wasteful. If you're going to post again, including my quote, perhaps address the question raised in the quote instead of just repeating your opinion:

I believe Alpha Trion was originally planned as a club exclusive, and Springer was originally going to be Sentinel Prime and something else was planned as the larger souvenir figure for Botcon 2007. However real-life problems and constraints arose and so Alpha Trion had to be used at Botcon. So yes, fiction-wise, it would have made more sense to release as a club exclusive and create another Botcon comic toy, but logistics prevented that. Very similar to the issue of what's more of a waste. Perhaps it is a waste to have drone characters as toys, fiction-wise. But it's a real-world waste to use the Scourge head only once and not create a Sweep. You're talking perfect world preferences, and I'm talking my best guess at real world realizations.

6. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Really interesting story. And a few nods to animated in those last pages with ultra magnus supreme commander of the past + a shipping container vital to the war effort.

The artwork for the sweeps battle was a good panel. Though grimlock chargeing up his fire breath in lack of a good story was simultaneously:

1.good comedic writing that complements the tone of the book.
    2. a stab at g1 season 3 for forgetting how powerful Grimlock is.
    3. Awesome art for the power up/ power down sequence.

I'd rather we not see sweeps as the next figure. Most collectors who get scourge will already have the mold as sideways and ratbat. There are clearly going to be cons on the planet the eight track is going to so let's hope for some less used con molds. (skyquake and leozak in the comic though?)

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    omg young Kup is so cute! hehe

8. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

I like what i see so far and another sweep would def be nice to have.

9. Bogatan

News Credits:
    Dude I wasn't disagreeing with your post I happen to agree with it being likely just happened to make me think what I wrote, I wont say it again as apparently that makes you unhappy. Thats just how I feel about it.

And I wasn't referring to you when I said "If you like the sweeps", I should have written "If a person"

To your points

1. Yes I know you wrote 1 add on sweep others including Beastbox X who I also quoted have been suggesting a pair of sweeps. You'll notice I wrote up to. I was referring to two or three at all times.

2. Fair point but if its like any of the previous comics there will beother characters in it that dont get toys that will have at least equal involvement in the comic.

3. I know what you were saying and I wasn't trying to prove your wrong as Ive said it probably a good guess. At this point it seems like it's best just to apologise for ever having quoted you.

4. Again you may be right, but last year FP were able to create a set with only one mould being used twice. 2007 also managed it though they did get three uses out of it some maybe that doesn't count. Circumstances obviously change and this year sweeps might be a way of keeping costs down.

Yes you've already pointed out that you only meant two. At the risk of suffering your wrath I repeat myself by again apologising for quoting you.:) 

Razorclaw was popular so are most designs that we don't end up getting. It would have been a damn sight less popular if it had been included in place of Megatron. Well thats my opinion I imagine comparing ebay prices of the two in a few months may suggest if Im correct or not. Likewise this year if Elita 1 made another convention appearance without getting a toy there will be people asking why a drone who may or may not be heavily invovled in the story got a toy and a classic cartoon character making a second major appearance in a botcon comic didn't. As you said the reason may be financial it wont stop peope going on about it though.

On a related but different train of thought.
    The head, one real world problem could be deteriation of the new head. We keep being told that they can only make so many of the heads with the cast they use. I see 2000 or so being mentioned as the number no idea if theres any basis for that, but if it is and if the boxset has been increased significantly then it is possible that the numbers might not fit.