Botcon 2008 Exclusives and Souvenirs

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Vangelus, May 6, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't see a thread in here for these yet, so...here's a thread for these yet!

Shattered Glass Autobots

While none of the evil Autobots really excite me on their own, as a group I find them incredibly cool.

Except Grimlock, but I'll get to him.

I love how they've been semi-unified as two trios. First, Optimus Prime and his bodyguards, Jazz and Ricochet. Second, the Seekers.

Prime himself really works because of one key thing- Classics Prime's headsculpt looks ANGRY. This really assists in making this redeco look fairly menacing.

Jazz and Ricochet are the runaway hits of the set for me. Alone, I don't care much for either of them, but as a duo I think they look awesome. Especially since, thanks to the Cyb Crosswise mold they're based on, you can transform the brothers slightly differently to differentiate them.

The Autobot Seekers are another unexpected hit for me. Rodimus was the one I was anticipating, and found the least interesting in person. Goldbug was one who I suspected I'd love in person over his lackluster photos, and that proved true. Blurr was definitely a wasted exclusive headsculpt (though I hear that Brian Savage semi-apologized for that at the organizer's panel?), but his vehicle mode's lightning deco is incredible. It's as a trio, though, that I find they look their best. Granted a lot of this is due to the convention comic, but I do think their vehicle modes make for a nice looking unit. The robot modes are pretty cool together too, though Goldbug's height and Rodimus's shortness make for an odd silhouette. :lol 

Oh yeah, Grimlock! Yeah. He's...Trypticon? I dunno, his redeco isn't drab or anything, but it feels completely out of place and a little uninspired. Being the only non-car evil Autobot in the set makes him even more forgettable to me.

Altogether, I love the Shattered Glass Autobots as a unit. I would, however, be hard-pressed to really champion a single one of them. A huge amount of their cool factor for me comes from how they look in tandem.

Behold my video-ized thoughts on them here, with Hitchcock swipe-cuts!:

Will be posting my thoughts on the other half of the Botcon 2008 toys (The Heroic Decepticons) later on. :D 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can dig you on that. I traded away my Jazz and never got Ricochet, but I agree the Autobots look great as a group. Granted, I think the three Classics molds look great in the new decos. Goldbug looks WAY better in person, and while the blue/black scheme on Blurr is kinda dull on it's own, it looks great in a seeker group shot.

3. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Jazz and Ricochet are my least favorites out of the boxed set, so I keep my Prime paired with Grimlock. They were both near the bottom of my list when I saw the first pics, but now that I have them in hand, I think they're my favorites. The purple highlights on Grimlock match Prime's purple exactly, and I think they work really well together.

[​IMG]

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, Prime and Grimlock were the two from the set I DEFINITELY wanted from the get-go. I figured my figures would be Optimus, Rodimus, and Grimlock from the Bots, vs. Megatron, Starscream, and the Predacons from the Cons, and I ended up with everything but Jazz and Ricochet.

5. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Say wot? You don't like Grimlock? I, Obvious Prime, am scandalized!

But seriously, out of all my exclsives (Grimmy, Ricochet, Prime, and Blurr/Sideswipe two pack) Grimlock is the best, IMO. Can I get a wot wot?

6. Icespark

Icespark A Spark in the Darkness

News Credits:
    It took me a long time to like the idea of a mirror universe set, but I wound up really liking the figures! :D  They all turned out very nice. I took a bunch of photos of them, and I uploaded them to my blog. They are located here: http://zanzav2.blogspot.com/ along with my thoughts on them if anyone is interested.

My favorites are amongst the larger ones, in no particular order, are Prime, Goldbug, Megatron, Starscream, and Sideswipe. I like all four of the Mini-Cons, and Razorclaw and Divebomb came out especially nice!

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

How are Blurr and Sideswipe? I´m getting those from BBTS.

8. General Magnus

WOT! WOT!

(Never got Grimlock, but I like the classics ,mold)

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And now my thoughts on the second half of the exclusives...

Shattered Glass Decepticons

While the evil Autobots were a group-deal for me to enjoy, the heroic Decepticons are almost entirely the opposite. Single pieces stand out a lot more than the 7 of them as a whole.

7? That's right, 3 large bots and 4 mini-cons means there are 7 Decepticons to face down the 7 Autobots. Something that I feel gets across the idea of the Decepticons being a smaller band of freedom fighters WHILE being very cost-effective! ;) 

Starting off with the minis, the Predacon trio are quite definitely needed as a set. In fact, I think it's a little cruel to spread them across all 3 exclusive toy packages. As a group they look -far- better than standing solitary. That said, the paint apps could have been laid out a bit better. High expectations, yes, but I was hoping for something that looked a little more...over-budget. I dunno.

Sideswipe/Drench is the personal hit for me, mostly because I've been a big proponent of the Drench redeco ever since it showed up on ebay years ago. Personal attachment aside, I think it really works on the Armada Wheeljack mold, and makes his mini-con fairly striking as well.

I'm not as enthusiastic about Starscream, however. Why? Because, like evil Grimlock, his deco doesn't feel thematic to me. I was hoping for something that was Starscream-y with a heroic slant, not...Jetfire. I mean, it IS a really nice Jetfire deco! The black spots and silver face really help it out. But to me, in the context of this set of exclusives, it's a little boring.

Finally, Megatron. I adore this redeco. I really love it. It's a mold I love, the deco is laid out magnificently, and the con-exclusive head is REALLY REALLY NICE. From every angle. For brevity's sake I'll not go into all the direct specifics, but everything about the colour placement just works for me. And unlike some of FP's previous attempts at new heads, this one feels so natural I'd easily be convinced it was a retail piece.

Overall, a neat set of redecos, though rather outshined altogether by Megatron.

My video-ized thoughts are here:

With...wistful??...The Subtitles. Creepy...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  10. General Magnus

Great review.

I loled at "decepticon sword of justice".

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I love your video reviews One True Fan. Keep them up!

12. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Awesome review, Vangelus. "I, Grimlock, am lonely, wot?" :lol 

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

I think my only minor gripe with Megatron is that I wish some of the red plastic (the bits on the wings, the tank trigger and missile) were the same clear blue as the other wing bits. More like the comic coloration, in other words. Other than that, I agree, Megatron (and his awesome head sculpt) is easily the crowning piece in the Decepticon SG force.