botcon 2008 and 2009 box set price check

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blitzwing256, May 7, 2010.

1. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

I forgot I had these kicking around:

both sets are complete and never played with (just opened up to check contents) the 09 actually has an extra bio card for thunderclash but is untouched.

i also have the two freebie figures sealed blah blah

a friend was interested in them but I'm kinda at a loss for thier value, i've checked egay and I see lots of them unsold BIN for 240 for the 09 set

I know 09 was a total dud and 08 not much better, but what would be a reasonable amount to suggest for em (don't want to rip him off but don't want to go too low either)

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2008 is one of the priciest ones now. The optimus prime is worth mad money.

EDIT: On ebay a 2008 boxset sold for $710 while a bagged set sold for $780. The 2009 set you can buy from BBTS for $225 but if you break it up you can get about $300. The freebie figure can range anywhere from $50-$100. If I was selling it to someone I considered a friend then $950-$1050 is about right. You make more then you would not paying ebay & paypal fees and your friend pays less then he would buying it and getting it shipped.

EDIT TO EDIT: Since you probably paid $600-$700 for the sets anything above that is fair game. Depends on how good of friends you are.

3. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

thank you, I had no idea the shattered glass set had any real value to it (i had bought 2 sets of 07-09 and just kinda tossed them in the corner)

I think I can work out a good value with that in mind,

4. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

Arnt e-bay prices a little full of crap though? I mean it is an AUCTION site right? Isnt a piece only worth whatever demand there is for it, or whatever a fan is willing to pay? I guess I just dont feel ebay is an adequate measure of that.

I would sooner checkout any past "Junkion Exchange" sales first , just to get an idea of what fans have paid for a particuliar figure.

5. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Your post makes no sense at all.

Junkion exchange is horrible for price gauging prices unless you pm each seller and see what their stuff sold for- ask how many low balling bullshit offers he got also, you'd be amazed.

Go to completed listings on ebay to get an average price. I think there are more fans on ebay buying tfs than there are members on all tf sites combined, so it only makes sense to go where you can actuall see what fans pay for a particular toy. And believe me, your toys will be worth more on ebay than they will ever be here.

I would say 850-900 for your friend, and he knows its worth this much too.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ebay is a little bit easier to check, junkion isn't the easiest to search and even if you find a couple the listed price might not be what it sold for. In this case ebay tells you a couple of things. Blitzwing was worried that his set was worth less than he paid for it but now he knows that the 09 set is worth less but the 08 set is worth more. If he was only selling the 09 set he would have to take a loss, so he would want to minimize that. In the 08 case he could make a profit but he wouldn't want to be unreasonable. It depends on how good a friend he has.

The only problem with using ebay as a guide is that people forget about the ebay fees. The set that sold for $710 was worth $715 to the buyer ($710 + $5 shipping) but after ebay fees only $645 to the seller and after paypal fees $610. If you're selling to a complete stranger and can manage to cut out ebay, paypal, AND shipping fees then there's $100 dollars that can be split between the two sides and make both happy. Once again it depends on what he means by friend. If it's a good friend then he could sell it at cost. If it's a really good friend, then he could give the set away for free. That's what I did with my complete 08 set.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    ^agree for the most part, but ebay prices can also be a bit higher because it reaches a much broader market than the junkion, local trades, etc even if you only deal within North America. I don't know that it is significantly different since there are a lot of people frequently looking at the Junkion, but I would still guess that there is a significantly higher number of buyers willing to pay a bit more on ebay. At the same time, I think it is a decent guage to start from (and easy).