Botcon 1997 'Til All Are One CD - Price Check

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tirade, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

As the thread title suggests, I'm curious as to the value of my 'Til All Are One Botcon 1997 CDs. Both CDs are like new. The CDs cover practically the entire score for the '86 movie. There are only a few notable tracks missing: Death of Optimus Prime, Autobot/Decepticon Battle and Escape. Probably the most complete CD score for the '86 movie.

2. Tirade

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I don't have a price for you, the 'missing' tracks are the ones on the original soundtrack. Liscencing probably kept them off the CD.

4. Tirade

Yeah, that is probably the case. I wonder if Scotti Bros Records still had the rights to those tracks back in 1997. They obviously do not have the rights now. I believe Volanco Entertainment was responsible for the re-release of the original soundtrack. That 2007 release actually had several tracks from the 'Til All Are One release. Tracks like "Unicron Medley" actually combine a few different pieces from the 'Til All Are One CDs.

I appreciate your response too, btw. Hopefully I can get some more comments. Otherwise I will probably just list the CDs on eBay.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It's hard to put a price on it because it was produced in limited quantities. (I bet Nevermore could tell you how many.)

To give you a rough idea of the value, I found a TF fanpage selling the '98 Botcon concert CD for $50, but that was back in 2001.

Another fan listed the album here in June 2008, wanting to trade if for an MISB Alt Rodimus.

I haven't been ebay-savvy in years, so I don't know how to check prior history of the album selling there. And Amazon isn't showing any record of it, except for a Stan Bush MP3 download of the song "'Til All Are One." (If it had an ISBN, I might be able to track it but I doubt 3H Enterprises bothered to register one.)

As I've said many times, you can't really put a price tag on nostalgia -- a collectible item is worth only as much as a collector is willing to pay. One fan might pay $50, while another might be willing to pay upwards of $100. Just depends on how important it is to them.

While I'd like to own it, I couldn't justify paying more than $20 because I'm cheap. I thought the original $40 price tag was outrageous -- even for a 2-disc exclusive album that's almost a 100% complete TFTM sountrack. I've paid far less than that to own complete CD box sets of some of my favorite artists, which is the primary reason I didn't buy the "Til All Are One" album no matter how badly I wanted to own it -- I felt the high price tag was exploitative.

6. Tirade

I will admit that the $40 original price tag was hefty, but it still came out to about $1 per track. So not terrible. Especially when you consider most songs on iTunes will run you 99 cents.

But yeah, I kind of figured I would have a difficult time trying to gauge interest. I was hoping someone that recently sold one might offer his or her insight.

Thank you for the comment.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Hm. That is a good point. Guess my opinion was a little harsh then. However, this was also released in '97 -- at the time, that price seemed excessive, and not just because I'm cheap.

Most of my CD collection (which is upwards of 4-500 albums, easily) I've bought second-hand, and I don't like paying more than $5 for most titles. I'll go marginally higher for pre-owned box sets and out-of-print titles.

If I saw "Til All Are One" offered by a convention dealer, my top price would be $30 for a used one.

If I were going to "appraise" it for you (which apparently I've earned a reputation for here because members keep sending me PM requests) -- if there are no scratches on the discs and the cover art is close to its original condition, I'd value it at $50 considering that it is so rare and is rarely sold/traded.

If it were factory-sealed, $60...although honestly I don't think that matters much because it's too easy to "fake" if you have a heat gun and shrink wrap bags (which a lot of dealers do, BTW). It also, technically, was not factory-produced.

I'd say the value hasn't really increased much due to digital downloads and file-sharing sites. It ends up being an overpriced piece of artwork at best.

Are there even any liner notes? I've only seen the front/back gatefold cover. I've never seen what the discs look like -- anything interesting about them?

8. Tirade

One moment. I will upload some photos for you.

And yes, I would agree that filesharing has probably limited the value of things like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically just gives credit to everyone involved. So I guess in the strictest sense, yes, there are liner notes.

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Right, but we already know some of the behind-the-scenes info anyway due to various interviews.

Thanks for the pics -- you should share those with TFWiki.net for archive's sake. I'm glad to see 3H made the effort of giving the whole project proper treatment. They could have just thrown together a generic-looking cover and had plain-looking discs duplicated to save money. But there was some expense involved in getting an actual design printed on the discs, and having a 2-sided gatefold cover. Nice to see that it was a quality production.

On a related note, the 2001 Botcon "Protoform Sessions" CD is the one I'm most interested in owning, because DiCola did song intros for each track and it includes the original orchestration demos. I'd love to have the "Til All Are One" set, but have just never found one in my price range.

10. Tirade

The TFWiki doesn't have pictures of the inside notes? Hmm, never realized that. But yes, I think quite a bit of effort went into this release (and the accompanying and subsequent releases).

Funny you mention the Protoform Sessions CD. I remember having the chance to buy that too. I was never much of a music buff, so I had no interest in the demo stuff. As time as gone by, I have learned to appreciate it more. Not sure if I have seen that many Protoform CDs for sale.

11. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

im surprised someone has not burned coppies of the cd's and inserts

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you do go ahead and sell the set, hit me up. I've been after one for my TF CD collection. I'll happily pay $$ for it :) 

Not sure on the valuing, but it is a rare piece that I've not seen very often (granted, I've not spent excessive time seeking it out)

13. Tirade

Give me a PM with an offer and we will go from there. This thread was the beginning of my selling "process." Also, I have no issues shipping things to the UK. If you need more info regarding the set, let me know.