Botcon 09 opinion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thielmj, Apr 20, 2010.

1. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found a botcon 09 box set online for about 205 after shipping and was wondering if from those who have it the set was worth it. I haven't owned any other botcon set before this and am getting the non attendee pack this year(hopefully if registration ever starts).
    But was interested from those who have it if you would buy it again at that price.

2. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    seems like a good deal to me

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would buy it. Scourge and Kup are worth that price by themselves.

4. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Yea that seems like an awesome deal for sure

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The toys are very nice. All five of them from the box set are very nice. Kup is extremely underrated.

The only reason prices are so low for the sets is due to the volume produced, not due to the low quality of the product (Though Landshark is remarkably unpopular).

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Now see, I'm a crazy person; I bought the boxset mostly for Thunderclash and Landshark, and consider Kup and Scourge the weak links (though Kup is better than I thought he'd be).

I'm one of the few who really sits in the 09 set's corner. I like the whole "G1 Elite Guard idea" and hope that the club gives us the rest of Dion's team in the comic at some point, and I'm glad that I had the first 2 team so I got a head start on completing the concept.

Granted, I think best parts of the 09 set are outside of the box itself (Banzai-tron and the Skyraiders), but I still like the box. $205 is about $10 less than I got it for, I say go for it.

8. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Flak is frickin' gorgeous. I love that mold .. it's so powerful looking! With those big rocket launchers and guns! It's like kapow! Blammo!
    The only thing I don't like about the earlier uses of that mold is the head, but Botcon Flak had a new head, and it looks great. Great colors too.
    I like Scourge quite a bit too.
    I don't have the others, but for that price I would have bought them even though I'm not a big fan of the other molds.

9. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is a good price. I just sold my Kup and Thunderclash for $115 shipped without the box. I kept Flak and Landshark with the box and comic. The box art is nice. I bought the set for Flak and Landshark.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Flak is actually my favorite of the set, but Scourge and Kup are the most valuable. Out of all the year's toys, Flak falls to third after Leozack and Banzai-Tron.

11. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I don't have any of them, but I think it's good. Flak isn't in his original toy's colours, but that's the fault of the deco artist for the repaint of Scattorshot as Armada Overload's Universe toy. The mold itself is awesome, perhaps the best mobile launcher mold yet. (The turret splits, yet has 360 degree rotation. Plus, it splits into arm-mounted weapons instead of becoming useless kibble.) Razorclaw is nice. That one was a good choice. (The people who say that mold is only worth it for the combination mode have it backwards. As a lion or a robot it's fun to play with. It's the combination that's not up to scratch because they had to drop the most of the joints for it at the last minute. People bitch about the arms, but they're fairly well articulated in actuality and I find them quite usable) Leobreaker's mold has the same distinctive lion's head as robot chest, so... Elita, I have mixed feeling about. Certainly Thunderblast looks especially feminine and has a head based on Elita's, so that works. But I would prefer Thunderblast's head put on Override's body. Override is not the most feminine looking (but certainly more feminine than, say, Strika), but the legs are curvy, there's heel-struts, and the cockpit-chest forms sort of a monobreast. Plus, Override's car mode takes cues from Elita's (or the little that was seen of it), even though the mold was designed as a guy. But that's why the head sticks out the way it does. Yes, Thunderblast's head is a tad small, but that would help it fit. And... okay, I'll shut up now. Kup's alright. It's not Fun Publications' fault there weren't any pickup trucks in the Unicron Trilogy. Armorhide would have been a closer match in shape, but he's a Scout class and Kup's original toy was about Deluxe size. Thunderclash... Well, some people were hoping for him to be a Cybertron Optimus Prime redeco, but that was unlikely because A. A leader-class convention exclusive? Slim chance if that, and B. It'd be hard to pass that off as anything other than Optimus. Still, as it is, he's alright. Scourge... I think ultimately he'd have been closer to G1 if he'd been that year's kitbash, putting a Scourge head on a body from a suitable Scout-class figure, and then attaching Thunderblast's boat shell to it. Nonetheless, he's still good. And so, by extension, are the Sweeps. Landshark... I don't care one way or the other about him.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Kup, Scourge and Flak (whom I still need to get) are the best out of that box set. Sounds like a steal... GRAB IT

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Heck, $205 shipped is a great deal for any BotCon boxed set. Except for 2005's...

14. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Yeah, Flak is a solid entry in the set. He's a better toy than Thunderclash, and a better color scheme than Landshark (as well as the best color scheme that's been applied to his mold). But compared with everything else, he's sort of destined for middle place in my book.

As for Kup and Scourge being the most valuable, I guess people put too much value on big names. I mean, Scourge's mold is cool, but I already have it twice, in more interesting colors. Kup was my first experience with the Red Alert mold, and though it was better than I expected, it's still fat and stumpy.

15. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the opinions folks, i'm just going to go through and order it and if for somereason i don't like it when i get it, i can always put it up on the sale/trade thread here.

16. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

The 09 set is the first Botcon set I've gotten. I was mostly interested in Scourge, Landshark, and Flak, but was quite surprised at how much I ended up liking Kup. Thunderclash is definitely the weakest figure in the set, but that's because it uses the energon Rodimus mold. But I was surprised at how much I actually liked the colors and deco of Thunderclash. Overall I personally would say it's worth it.

17. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    USD $205??!

IMHO: That's extremely :crazy:  & you would be a fool to pass it up. :lol 

18. Abrogate

News Credits:
    What about Cybertron Dirt Boss?

19. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

True, but he's a monster truck. That goes with Kup HOW? Red's mold at least has some Kup feel. Plus the key gives it guns in both modes.

20. Abrogate

News Credits:
    A monster truck is just a pick up truck with huge wheels. Since this is the younger Kup, that makes sense to me. And how does Red have "a Kup feel?" He's a damn station wagon!