Botcon '06 in Lexington, KY discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by undertaker, Feb 28, 2006.

1. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

Botcon '06 in Lexington, KY

They just sent out an e-mail to all Club members; just read the e-mail a matter of minutes ago.

Sept. 28 - Oct. 1 at at the Hyatt Regency Lexington and the adjoining Lexington Center. The convention will be in their system by the end of the week (so the e-mail says).

Figured I'd start a new thread just to make the announcement more visible.

And, now, apparently, someone else also posted it as I was scurrying to get this post ready ...

2. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    I guess that would be me.... This thread is probably the more appropriate place for it, though. I didn't think beyond "News"

3. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

Yes, it was. :) 

I was sooo close, almost the first to post it...

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Lexington, KY area info for BotCon '06

I figured since the news thread has died now, I'd start this thread for anybody who has further questions or late comers that may find this information useful. It can also help save a bit of net research. :D  If a mod/admin wants to sticky this, please do.

Cut and paste from the BotCon news thread:

1. Airport info--Lexington does indeed have an airport and it is rather easy to get straight to the Hyatt from the airport itself. Come out of the airport on Man O'War Boulevard and turn left until it dead ends at Versailles Rd. Turn right on Versailles Rd. until it turns into High St., which so happens to run right next to the main parking lot of the Lexington Center (which is Rupp Arena & Heritage Hall--the Hyatt is adjacent to this building). International Airports are Louisville and probably the closer Greater Cincinnati Airport, which as has previously been stated as right around an hour's drive from Lexington. From the Cincinnati Airport (CVG), take I-75 south to the Paris Pike exit in Lexington (I forget the exit number, but I can look it up) and turn right on it. The exit should be either the first or second Lexington exit as you are coming south on I-75. Paris Pike runs right downtown and right by the Hyatt and convention center. I'm pretty sure connector flights are rather easy to get from any Int'l airport to the Lexington airport.

If you are flying into Louisville International Airport (SDF), simply leave the airport and merge onto I-264 East (Watterson Expressway). Take this freeway to I-64 East to Lexington. I-64 merges with I-75 for a short while, and I believe it is above the Paris Pike exit as you head south on I-75.

2. Sightseeing/Extracurricular activities--well, admittedly it's pretty slim unless you're into beautiful horse parks and/or strip clubs and bars.

3. the convention Hall itself--Heritage Hall (I assume the exact location of the con itself) is actually located beneath Rupp Arena, the home of the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team and site of this year's WWE No Mercy PPV. I was there at the Ink & Blood exhibit not too long ago and Heritage Hall consists of 2 or 3 Hall rooms roughly the size of OTFCC 2004's dealer room each--plenty of room for dealer rooms, tables, etc. Also, the hallway outside each room is quite large, large enough for dealer tables and whatnot as well. Connecting the Lexington Center and the Hyatt is a multi-level area that has shops and restaurants.

4. Restaurants--downtown has its share of "swank" type restaurants and such, but Subways, McDonald's, and such are not too far away either, all within a 5 mile radius of the town.

5. What to watch out for--downtown Lexington is notorious for its one-way streets and streets that change names by simply crossing an intersection. For example, South Limestone turns into Nicholasville Rd. This can become somewhat confusing for out of town visitors who are driving their own vehicles.

6. Transit--Lextran provides shuttle services to and from the Lexington airport, and there are cab services as well in Lexington. So Getting to and from the airport shouldn't really be a problem.

7. Shopping-- As for Malls, there is the Fayette Mall on Nicholasville Rd., approximately 5-6 , miles from the Hyatt. Unfortunately, there's no real "toy stores" like KB or anything in it. Has a great food court, though.

There's 2 Meijer's in Lexington (Hamburg Pavilion [8-9 miles] and Reynolds Rd [6 miles].) 3 Walmarts (Russell Cave Rd/New Circle [5 miles], Nicholasville Rd/Man O'War [8 miles], Richmond Rd (not a Supercenter) [6 miles]), 2 Targets (Hamburg Pavilion [8-9 miles], Reynolds Rd/Nicholasville Rd [6 miles].), and 1 Toys 'R' Us (Nicholasville Rd [5-6 miles]) in Lexington. All mileage is approximate from the Hyatt to the best of my knowledge.

Insane Galvatron [has] planned to post a map with suggested highlighted routes in and around town. He works for FedEx Express out of Lexington, so he should know the area even better than me as far as routes to take.

Any further questions along these lines, feel free to ask! Hope this helps! :) 

Special thanks to Sidecutter and Insane Galvatron for additional info.

5. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Well, Lexington is (according to Mapquest) about a six hour drive for me. I think we'll try to go this year. It'll be a fun weekend away. We don't get one very often these days. :) 

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FYI the airport code for the Blue Grass Airport in Lexington is LEX.

At least I won't have to worry about using super shuttle this year :rock 

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

OK, I've got a question for the Botcon vets. If it's 28SEP to 01OCT, is that actually the evening of the 28th, or will there be events during that day?
    I'm in grad school by then, and really can't take of any more time than absolutely necessary (well, as absolutely necessary as Transformers get). If it's actually only three days (29SEP-01OCT), does the past suggest that day 1 and 2 are better or worse than day 2 and 3?
    Any guidance is appreciated as always.

9. Weirdwolf

From what I remember about OTFCC 2004, the first day was primarily hotel check-in and prereg packet pickup. May be different since a different guy is running the show now, though.

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Last year the only Thursday activity was check in/exclusive pick up :)  and the local city tour IIRC.

"within 5 a mile radius of the town" for McDonalds and such scares me (as a guy who doesn't want to rent a car that will remain parked except for food runs) I'm starting to hope the tour IS a KFC so I can hoard leftovers for the weekend :peoples: 

11. Weirdwolf

Maybe I mis-stated that. It should read "within a 5 mile radius IN town" not "of the" town. My bad.

12. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    LOL! :lol 

Well, being the show in Kentucky I guess we can't rule out a tour to KFC, right? :D 

-airfox

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Very cool...I think I may drive through there on my way. I may have to make the stop. Thanks!

14. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I went to Botcon 05 and the first day was just registration pickup. Although, after the tour a lot of people had trading rooms going on. Master Collector had a billboard that you could post when and where the trading areas were. I had a great time going from room to room tradingon that day. I know that Battlestar and myself will be having trading going on in at least one of our rooms. This also goes on throughout the convention until Sunday. Trust me, it's worth going to a few of these, even if you have nothing to trade, the occasional sale was made as well. Finally, there are other things to do in Lexington and the surrounding areas but a rental car would certainly help.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Ok guys, I'm making up some really nice maps of Lexington. I wanna know what you want marked on it. So far, I've marked the airport, the convention center, local retail stores ( walmart, target, etc ). I'll probably do restaurants within a mile and comic shops.
    There were some people asking about things to do. Well, for stuff close for after convention activities, there isn't much. But for those wanting to come in for the whole week, there are some things in driving distance that would be good for a days trip. I'll also make a list of those.
    Can you guys think of anything else you want me to mark before I post the maps?

16. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Where's the closest hooters? We will need to go there on the Sunday after the Con like last year.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Ok, I'll mark the Hooters resteraunts as well as the close to con ones... Though I think they are a bit further away.

18. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

A quick Google search reveals that there are 2 Hooters restaurants in Lexington,KY

However how close/far they are from the hotel itself I couldn't tell you

IG on behalf of the board,thanks for what you're doing :thumbs2: 

Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to shake your hand :) 

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    According to Mapquest both Hooters are 11 minutes away from the hotel (4.93 miles and 5.07miles).

3101 Richmond Rd

1017 Majestic Dr

For those who are tempted to go home on Sunday, DON'T. Last years excursion to Hooters was a complete and total blast and a great capper to Botcon.

20. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

And I wasn't invited to Hooters WHY? :peoples:  :cry 

Oh I know,you guys didn't want the cute, buxsom waitresses giving me all the attention :D 

If I make it this year I'd be glad to join in on a Hooters trip