Bot Shots: Is there a problem with them or are they that damn popular?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ruination04, May 10, 2012.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been a couple of months and my local Wal-mart is always cleaned out of single card Bot Shots. It's just a big hole right in the middle of the display. Is there some kind of distribution problem or are they that popular that they don't stay on the shelves? Anyone else notice this?

2. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Mine are always pretty well stocked but they're fun little toys, so I bet they're just being bought up. I still want to pick up some more, come to think about it...

3. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I noticed that around here and now they are back if full stock. I wasn't sure if they got recalled or what, but whatever drought that his them seems to be over. At least around here.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd say in my area they're pretty popular. They've always been well stocked the first couple of weeks of first sighting, but then they're gone. Bot Shots are fun man and it's exciting to collect them.

5. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm....my son has the Optimus with trailer. I used to see them but now, there is a hole for them, but they're never there! LOL

6. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yup, and they hit that sweet spot of a price point for parents. "can I have a toy dad?" "sure, grab that $5 transformer over there"

7. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think stores ordered low to begin with too. There's always a chance that a new product will flop. Fortunately the price point of these, combined with their awesomeness has generated popularity with collectors and kids alike. They were cleaned out a bit here too, but I've seen massive quantities of things like the launchers and 3 packs start to trickle in, so stores are definitely on-board now.

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Popularity, plain and simple. Honestly, the only reason we started collecting them was because of the price. Impulse buy on a shopping trip. Now, we've already got a collection of nine, and looking forward to the next wave.

They're simple and cheap, which appeals to kids and parents. They've got the 'collectible game' aspect, which is another draw. They're hybrid-style, featuring aspects of numerous versions of given characters, which draws collectors of multiple lines. In other words, they hit a lot of the right buttons to get them sold.

Hell, even the Bumblebees don't linger around here for too long. But because of their popularity, the pegs have been getting restocked more often, which also makes them less of a hunt to find, and keeps their retail value strong compared to the aftermarket value - less people to buy up an item and resell it if it's gonna be put back on the shelf during the next restock, right?

9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

This.

They're popular for sure, but part of it is they were ordered in relatively low numbers.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The ones near me sold out pretty quick

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They get restocked around here pretty often and I'm talking wave two

12. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    The problem with Bot Shots is that they're dangerously addictive. I grabbed an Optimus just because he was Optimus, and within a week I had purchased every single one. I hope the line retains enough longevity to bring us lots of minor characters. I want my Bot Shots Cosmos!

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They seem to be stocked, and sell, fairly well at all the stores I frequent. Don't really get it myself, but they seem to have caught on for some reason.

Cyberverse Legion figures, on the other hand, the stores around me seem to have given up on carrying.

14. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Has there been any news of new 3-Packs?

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I'm prone to question whether this is a situation where stores aren't ordering much, so they seem to be popular because they don't have a huge amount on hand (like GI Joe this past year, seemed to sell pretty well, but stores also only got a case or two in at a time).

I also question how much of this perception is "collector extremes". The collector tendency to lump a product as "hottest thing out right now" or "pegwarmer of the year" extremes without considering a middle ground.

But my perception (granted I'm not following the line that closely): they sell, there isn't a enormous pile of them, but I usually only see about half a dozen on shelves at any given time.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Distribution problem. No enough Bees in each wave.. . :p 

17. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Popular. Everytime my local stores stock, they are bought up instantly.

18. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

Wait 'til they see the SuperBot Bee in wave 2. Him and Mirage were must buys when I saw them. My kids love them, even my 18 month old totes them around.

19. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know your joking but seriously there are 3 bee variants already and we're only on wave 2.

botshots has it's fair share of bees already -_-

and I own them all :cry 

20. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

they are somewhat stocked around the targets in my area. when i went hunting there was a small amount, mostly the three packs. i bought one pack at first after a friend told me about them and they're actually pretty cool. i think what gives the kids a kick is that, one its a car and they roll it wherever they please, and two they can smash it against anything to form a robot. parents are okay with it, as it's cheap and won't destroy the house as it only takes a slight nudge for them to transform. although rolling them around everywhere might be another story :lol 

Last edited: May 10, 2012