Boss fires staff for NOT smoking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViperDragon, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080110/od_nm/smoking_dc_1

Thu Jan 10, 11:04 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.

The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.

"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying. "We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This just steams of lawsuit (though I am not sure how much lawsuits are a part of life in Germany like they are in the US). I applaud the non-smoking laws they have established here and across the ponds.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Revenge of the smokers lol

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's absolutely messed up.

And what the fuck is this?
    Um... only if you're already a hopeless nicotine addict? Having something in your mouth doesn't exactly help you talk on the phone. I suppose I shouldn't expect this guy to make sense, since choosing to smoke is a totally irrational decision in the first place.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Good for him, frankly. Given the choice between disrupting the entire office and getting rid of 3 troublemakers, I'd have done the same thing.

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The difference is that you'd be sued out of business because Britain has SENSIBLE LAWS.

6. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

That'd be a huge lawsuit waiting to happen in the US too.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    He's got a serious ID-10T error there.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I guess I would have been fired if I worked there.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a life long non-smoker, and I also say good for him. These non smoking zealots need a taste of their own medicine. Again I am a life long non smoker and will never smoke.

10. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in canada (well ontario for sure)you cant smoke ANYWHERE inside a building that is not residential. YOu cant even smoke in the hallfway of some apartment buildings (where i live).

If i remember correclty there were thinking of making that you could ONLY smoke inside a house/apartment.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hear hear.

12. flamepanther

Zealots or no, people should have a right to do their jobs without being subjected to smoke. That's why the U.S., Canada, and various places in Europe have all been enacting laws to that effect. Remember, the smokers are the ones who made a decision to be smokers. If someone makes a deliberate decision to do something, and they're not allowed to do it absolutely everywhere, that's not persecution. Some of them think its okay to force the results of their decision to be addicts on everyone around them, and that's the only reason smokers have such a bad name.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    And yet everyone ignore the rights of smokers rather conveniently, don't they.
    Or maybe we don't deserve any, since we're "addicts". :rolleyes2 
    Seriously. I've had assholes actually cross the street just to walk up to me and cough. Twats.

14. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

And they also have the right to work at a place that DOESN'T allow smoking, as opposed to going to a place that DOES allow it then demanding it to change. Which is, to ANY logical person, bullshit.

It's the same thing with restaurants. Non-smokers have the option of going to places that do not allow smoking. Instead, they send letters to their senators to take the decision OUT of business owners hands. I'm all for banning smoking in a restaurant, so long as the restaurant owner is the one who decided it.

This is also coming from a non-smoker.

15. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Being in Berlin in the mid-90s was awesome. Die Mauer was still fresh in everyone's mind, reunification was still a weird concept, you could get beer out of the vending machines, everyone was smoking, and it was sexy in a European way.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  16. flamepanther

That depends a LOT on what you consider a "right". Some people think they have a "right" to smoke whenever and wherever they want, no questions asked. I find that more than dubious.
    You can omit the quotes. Chemical addiction to nicotine is what it is.
    It works both ways. People wouldn't do that if they hadn't been subjected to problems from inconsiderate smokers. Their mistake is assuming that all smokers are alike and therefore similarly inconsiderate. Believing anyone who doesn't want to be subjected to smoke is the same kind of jerk that seeks you out to cough at you would be a similar mistake.

Miners also have the right to choose not to work in a mine. That doesn't mean the owners of the mine aren't required to filter the hazardous dust out of the air and provide safety measures. The problem with the smoking issue is that it isn't just a matter of preference. It is a health concern as well, and businesses are responsible for that. "You could work somewhere else" is not a compelling argument. As far as "any logical person," they wouldn't be a habitual smoker in the first place, so that doesn't really work here.

All of this is coming from an occasional tobacco smoker, so I appreciate the right to make ones own decisions. As they say though, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree whole heartedly with Flamepanther. Smokers have a hard time realizing that smoke hurts the people around them. They think it's ok that they are emitting harmfull toxins that anyone else in the same room/office/area have to inhale. And you ask "shouldn't people have the right to choose to work in a smoke free environment as opposed to a smoking one"- but the big problem there is that, if one restaurant allows smoking, then another has to allow people in order to compete, and eventually all restaurants will have to allow smoking in order to compete. There has to be some amount of rules and guideline that a company has to follow so that everyone is treated fairly. In this situation you have a group that have a bad habit that causes ill welfare to others, and then another group that wants that to stop- sounds reasonable. Of course there are going to be conflicts of interests, but I am glad some for once that some governments step in and basically remove those conflicts.

My whole family besides me smokes- and it never bothere me at home. In my workplace though? That's different.

Generally, hurting others is against the law- so why is this different?

18. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

That analogy doesn't work because you're trying to compare hazards being caused by the actual job directly based on the natural hazards of the location with something that people are personally choosing.

Plus it isn't a case of "Not Working at a Restaurant" it's a case of working at a DIFFERENT restaurant.

19. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fixed.

P.S. STOP SMOKING!

20. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've also never smoked in my life, but I'll always say it should be the right of whoever owns the business to decide. If you don't like the smoking as a customer or as an employee then go somewhere where there is no smoke.

Places should have just as much right to be pro-smoke as to be smoke-free.

-D