Bootleg Cassettes being sold as originals

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by RoboticPlanet, Apr 9, 2008.

1. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Seller 1000hp.ls1 has these bootlegs mixed in with his other legit auctions.

(warning: embedded audio)
    Lazerbeak
    Ratbat
    Frenzy

An message to him hasn't yielded a reply. Some of his cassettes are definitely legit. I'm not sure about his Ravage though.
    IMO, this is the worst kind of seller selling these things. Unlike the usual suspects, this guy doesn't have a record of bootleg sales.

2. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    what else is new! Damm Ko's!

3. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

How can you tell these are KOs? The Frenzy looks completely legit to me.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    i bought a junker g1 prime off him and it was legit not a KO.the ravage does look legit,i have the KO and there is no decepticon sticker on his shoulder.The others are hard to tell.The frenzy and rattrap do look like k.o's they are identical to mine.

on second look i think he appied decepticon stickers on them all,the rattrap sticker is too big

5. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    The easiest way, of the many, to tell Frenzy & Lazerbeak are from the rivets which are shiny aluminum-looking, rather than the darker steel color of the originals. The red paint on Lazerbeak and the blue color on Frenzy's stickers are the wrong shade when compared with the originals.

Ratbat's a bit tougher, as the obvious signs are fewer. The bootleg doesn't have the rivet problem, but the easiest way to tell he's a bootleg is the chest screw that's painted. The original doesn't have a painted screw as the screw must have been in place after paints apps were applied. Less subtle is the purple plastic is very, very slightly the wrong shade. Another detail that I can't see from the pic, is bootleg Ratbat's 2 right ears instead of unique left- and right-molded ears.

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I also hate this kind of seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/G1-Dinobot-Grimlock-Box-for-MISB-MOSC-New_W0QQitemZ360025718586QQihZ023QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I would really like to get these KO boxes cheap so I can stick my loose G1 figures in them just for display. But look at those prices! He's has "best offer" but there are stupid people buying them for the asking price so he's not gonna lower the price when he's got retards paying $29.95 + $20.00 shipping. This is seriously pissing me off because I just want to display them on my shelf for the memories. I'm not in this as a "collector", I'm just a kid from the 80's that would like to have these back. But I'm not paying $50 for an empty KO box. I can buy the entire figure in the box for $50. I'd like to beat the crap out of these sellers. If this guy can find a way to get these boxes then why can't somebody else? Somebody that's cool & won't gouge like a slimeball scalper. He's the only one on Ebay that has these.

I asked him if he could go lower on the Wheeljack box & he said $20.00 + the $20.00 shipping. IT'S A FRIGGIN KO!!!! A FAKE! Why are people paying $50 for a fake unless they don't know it's a fake????

7. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah what he said. Good account here on how to tell.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    You know the kind of seller I HATE? The idiots who make money off corn flakes shaped like Illinois (or whatever the hell it was), pancakes with Jesus on them, and things of that nature.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I can't seem to find Jesus in my cereal.

9. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Frenzy looks like he is a legit item, the Gold Chrome on his chest was also because he was released with Gold chrome weapons in a two pack with Ratbat who also had Gold Chrome weapons.

But in later waves it was changed to sliver on both.

10. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Yeah but the gold chrome one should have plastic foot right? The one in his auction looks like metal foot.

11. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    I decided to pull out my metal-toed original (left) and bootleg (right). The bootleg has had Rumble (well, Frenzy according to reprolabels.com) applied, so don't pay attention to them.

Notice the obvious difference in the rivets. The plastic color difference may not be as apparent, but the bootleg has a lighter shade.
    [​IMG]

The original has light blue hips, while the bootleg has dark blue. These can be barely seen in the Frenzy auction too. Look at the knees and around the hip stickers.
    [​IMG]

The elbows and feet are super-chromed on the bootleg. The silver face paint on the bootleg is shinier as well. I don't think it shows up in the picture, but the original has fairly detailed hands while the bootlegs lacks this detail.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, giving the two a shake test, the bootleg is super rattly while the original feels nice and solid

Disregarding the decals, the bootleg is identical to the one in the auction.

12. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

And knowing is half the battle... G.I.JOE! Yo Joe!

Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't know enough to distinguish between the two other than the metal feet. :p 

13. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    well from the couple I have seen There's two Variations on the repackaged Frenzy, The Gold chrome version had solid black plastic toes while the later sliver chrome version had sliver chrome feet. The only real way to tell is the Hastak trade mark stamp, Which ppl bidding on these should ask to see a pic of.

He also has it pictured with a micro cassette case (Which was only available with the Micro change release of the figures (Pre-TF) while it's not hard to get those cases, this could be the Takara release which we all know Takara loves chroming everything possible...

It also could be a bootleg, im not doubting that ether but I would like to see more of the figure he's selling before it's determined exactly what it is original, Bootleg?