"Boosting up" FP Superion *pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TFao, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I recently got a SL Supe and a FP upgrade to go with it, and just like I had already seen in many side by side pics, he just doesn't quite see eye to eye with FP Brut.

[​IMG]

I've seen guys play around with Legos to help semi-mod TF combiners before so I gave it a shot, and came up with this...

(please excuse the quick and dirty pics)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like much (and to be honest, it isn't), but if you keep the Superion head folded down, and you fold in the chest wings in combined mode...

From this-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To this-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a nice little cavity there that can be filled to create a new base for a head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't want to take my Superion's head apart yet, so I just put a cylindrical block in its place as a stand in for the head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this little "boost", Superion can get much closer to Brut's height.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a little before an after comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it does nothing to bulk him up to Brut proportions, but I kinda like that the aerialbots would be a more sleek and streamlined combiner than the combaticons.

My little "mock up" here doesn't peg in or anything, but I'm hoping that a 3rd party company would be willing to mass produce something like this. Maybe even throw in a new head sculpt and a crotch piece to go with it. Maybe even a shapeways guy could come up with something?

What do you all think?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Hmm...why not take a G1 Superion head and mod it to fit the new assembly? That way, you keep everything else in it's original factory condition.

3. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking about just looking for a new head to add to this setup. And a G1/2 head would be the best candidate.

But I still think that a 3rd party add-on (to a 3rd party add-on :thumb ) that refined this piece, and also cam with a new head sculpt and crotch piece would be pretty sweet.

I don't know about making these new pieces able to store in altmode or individual botmode, probably would be too hard to pull off. But I think it would go a long way towards improving FP Sup's combined mode. Still not on par with FP Brut, but an improvement none the less.

4. Satomiblood

I might try something like this tonight. If I can come up with something that looks less Lego-ish and blends in with Superion a bit better, I'll post it.

5. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

6. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

No other comments? Over 150 views... only 1 dude comments? C'mon folks, what do you think?

7. Gundamben831

Gundamben831 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've never owned the bot so I can't make and true opinions about it, otherwise it seems cool that your trying to build him up more but my only question is why use legos?

8. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Merely a mock up, not a finished product.

It's more of a pitch to those more skilled than myself (3rd party informers, shapeway guys, radicons in general) to pick it up from here and carry it through to the end. If not, I am fine with just keeping Superion the way he is w/ the FP kit.

As for the Legos, it's all I had. I don't display it on my shelf with the Legos on if you were wondering. Plus I have seen others use them in previous semi-mods, so I figured I would give it a shot.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shoji Kawamori uses Legos to rough-in his transforming designs, so it's totally a legit practice :p .

I don't advocate using bare Legos as a finished surface, though. Using them as a structural base, and then completely sculpting over them, I'm fine with.

10. Gundamben831

Gundamben831 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    gotcha I haven't looked at many mods so I wouldn't know about it that much hence why i asked about the use of them. I am bummed I missed out on the Bruticus and Superion sets becasue after looking at the aftermarket add-on sets really makes me want to kick myself for not buying tf's earlier when they were actually affordable and to only have to buy the FP kits later. Some of the combining bots are ridiculously over-priced on ebay or any of the third party stores or sellers. I am really happy that I have hercules in my collection now but man to look back and realize that some things do have more potential than they may actually seem like they do.

11. Satomiblood

Well, if you wanted some valuable C&C, it may be better if this thread were moved to Radicons.

12. blueben

blueben Holocaust

News Credits:
    And boost the height to much FP Brut. That will be great.

13. beangrower

beangrower Well-Known Member

I wanted to do something like this too.
    I posted this earlier:

Before boost
    [​IMG]
    after neck"boost"
    [​IMG]
    To me..I just didn't like that his head was sunken in.

14. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Good point. Maybe I'll just start one over there too?

Same thought, different plan of attack. :thumbs2: 

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    through in the process abdomen filler while your at it

16. Satomiblood

No need. Just ask a mod to move this one.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  17. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Someone posted something up on Shapeways last year that filled the gap in Superion's chest. I forget who, but I ordered a few and love them :) 

This idea never occurred to me, but now that I see it I think it absolutely improves Superion significantly. Great idea! I'd totally buy this if you put it up on Shapeways!

18. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I bought the abdomin filler (you can see it in my pics in the first post), the one that you can attach in altmode as well, and I must say it is great. Works like a charm. I wish that there were some way to tweak it a bit to add a sort of crootch piece like FP Brut's.

As for it being produced on shapeways, you never know! I posted this in the Radicons section, and I think the gears are turning. This may be made after all! I can't wait to see how it turns out...

19. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Sweet! Count me in for two!

I like that they could just include a new head with the piece and you wouldn't need to alter Superion permanently. Whatever they/y'all come up with, though, try for some alt. mode integration, please? :p 

20. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm working on a little something that will bulk up Superion and give him more of a G1 look.
    [​IMG]