Books!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spartan-117, May 9, 2007.

1. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of sleep overs and lone working at work lately so it means I've had a chance to do a fair bit of reading in the lulls in activity. Anyway, basically I want this thread to be where people can discuss what they're reading a recommend authors and books. I wouldn't expect great things from me, I tend to go for books that are entertaining rather than high end and intellectual, but I'll give anything a try.
    I'll start off by naming my favourite author - Bill Bryson. I own all of his books excluding "Mother Tongue" and I'd recommend them to anyone. Get "a short history of nearly everything", it's a science book rather than a travel book but he actually makes science more interesting and funny than it ever was in school.
    So, anyone got anything to add or will this go down like a lead balloon?

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Highlights

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Right now I'm reading John Stossel's Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Get the Shovel. Why everything you know is Wrong.

Pretty good look at hundreds of topics and asininity of them. Stuff like the panic over not enough room to put our garbage.

This all started when a barge of NYC garbage was being transported to New Orleans where NYC was paying to dump the garbage. Well on the way the barge driver decided he would try to dump it off in North Carolina. Well the local dump refused to accept it and then called the media. The media had a field day and started the claim of shortage of dumping space. Well then New orleans got wind of the story and refused to allow the dumping of it there too.

It goes on in more detail and such. Lot of good points.

Stuff like Gas is expensive (not really). It seems expensive because you don't adjust for inflation. Also what isn't considered is all the costs that go into getting it from the ground to your gas tank. Also look at bottled water. Small bottle costs well over a dollar. That comes out to $6-7 a gallon. Premium Ice Cream is about $5 for a quart. That is $20+ a gallon.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i really like Piers Anothony's Xanth series. There's like 31 books now.

It's a fantasy based series, where individuals have powers (even really stupid ones), lots of puns of names of things (like B's, Comic Strip), Different worlds (one world, North means you get older, South younger), Dragons, Zombies, Metal People, etc. etc...

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Onion.

And I'm finally reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Sorry, but as long as Exxon continues claiming $12-14 billion in quarterly profits, I'm going to continue to claim that gas costs too damn much.

7. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    for some reason I can't stand reading books, though I read tons on the internet

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Reading Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." So far I think it's pretentious garbage, and I'm almost halfway through it.

Big fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels for entertainment, looking forward to the next one. And taking my semester break to catch up on my Economists.

Hands down his best novel, IMO.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I just started reading Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner.

Cool book with a lot of un-orthodox observations.

I just may look in to that John Stossel book.

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson

Behold A Pale Horse by William Cooper

Celistine Phrophecy by James Redfield

Conversations with God: Neal Donald Walsh

All great books on life and the Govt.

11. Aldude

Aldude Automorph

My favourite books are:
    Myst: The book of Atrus (Rand/Robyn Miller)
    Myst: The book of Ti'ana (Rand Miller)
    Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Grant Naylor)
    Red Dwarf: Better than Life (Grant Naylor)
    The Log (Craig Charles)

12. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. An excellent fantasy series starring a sharp-tongued djinni and a cast of well-developed characters. It is humerous, intriguing, funny, well-written, and full of sarcastic wit. One of my personal favorite parts are the often humerous references to all sorts of famous people and places, from William Gladstone to Cleopatra to Atlantis to Prague. They are arguably my favorite books of all time, and I highly recommend them to anyone with even just a passing interest in fantasy and the like. Read them!!!

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got both! Love em. Read Backwards or Last human? Both are pretty good too.

14. tapestry100

tapestry100 poke a badger w/a spoon TFW2005 Supporter

Currently reading I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - it's about the only human left after everyone else has been changed into a vampire

15. Aldude

Aldude Automorph

Yeh I got both, and yeh, they're both good.
    But neither of them compare to Better Than Life (which is my favourite of the lot)

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Juggling a few things right now:

Jeff Hobbs' 'The Tourists'

There's a table at work where advance copies of books, TV shows and CDs get dumped after they've been reviewed, and subsequently picked over by the features dept. staff no doubt. 99% of it is crap, and there was nothing about this one to suggest otherwise..except a sticker that mentioned that Bret Easton Ellis served as mentor/editor on this, Hobbs' first book. Good enough for me...and free is a rather attractive price.

I picked up first edition/first printings of Hunter S. Thompson's 'Generation of Swine' and 'Hey Rube.' The former I've read/own in paperback, the latter I just never got around to buying when it was current. Passed on the PB more than once, as even before he died, I started a quest to own 1st Ed./1st print HBs of ALL of HST's books. I'm essentially down to the prohibitively expensive 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' and 'Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72' Still need The Great Shark Hunt too, but it's not expensive so much as a waiting game. The other two...I'll be buying after grad school methinks.

Before I got sucked into those, I was zipping through the Star Wars Zahn trilogy and was halfway though Dark Force Rising. I haven't read them since the prequels wrapped. Been wanting to give them a go to see how well things hold up in light of the prequels. That and I bought/read Outbound Flight in PB just before that, which is...a prequel to those sequel books...that takes place during the prequel movies. :sly: 

17. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I still have to pick those up.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm currently re-reading my James Herbert books; I'm a big fan. I just finished Portent; quite a change from the more horrid chillers he's better known for. Well worth a read.
    Before that I read The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins; based on an (apparently fact based) plot by Hitler to kidnap Winston Churchill during WWII. It's a superb book, and the movie was excellent (big fan of WWII war films, and it's one of my favourites).
    After I'm done with the James Herbert books I plan to go back and read either my Biggles books or James Bond books (I have complete collections of each; which in the case of the Biggles books comprises 98 books, several of which are first editions and worth a crapload).

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I want eyeballkid's reading list. Or lack thereof. Either way.

20. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this has taken off. As far as fiction goes I've just finished Stephen Baxter's Manifold trilogy and the additional Phase Space short stories. It's apparently Hard Scifi (although he could be making everything up for all I know, or care) and he seems to get a fair bit of praise. I found the books to be entertaining but they seemed to end with massive info dumps. You get a problem or mystery at the beginning then at the end the answer is revealed but there doesn't seem to be much development towards that answer in between. Maybe it's just me. Still, I found it all very entertaining.