Books of Magick: Life during Wartime

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by yodafett, Jul 23, 2010.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'm a big Tim Hunter fan (the DC Vertigo character, to be clear), and I've read I think all of his appearances except the series mentioned in the thread title. Has anyone read it, and is it any good? From what I gather, it only ran 15 issues and was never fully collected in TPB, so may be tough to track down and I'm not sure if it's even worth it.

2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I remember Vol 1, which was a four part series that came out. They stopped after that and I had no idea they ever picked back up again. Of course now I don't really read comics so I can't speak to the Vol 2 issues.

It was kind of like A Christmas Carol meets Harry Potter, where the main character (Tim or Tom, I can't remember) was taken into the worlds of magic from the past, present, and future because he was believed to become the world's most powerful magician. It was before graphic novels really took off and I thought the artwork was amazing at the time. It definately wasn't a series meant for kids.

3. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Right, that was the Books of Magic mini series. Some of Neil Gaiman's finest work, IMHO. It then went into the Books of Magic ongoing, then Hunter: Age of Magic, and finally Si Spencer's Books of Magick: Life during Wartime.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Had the first few issues of Wartime. It was pretty dark, but I missed a few issues and like you said, never collected. Worth tracking down though, if you're a fan.