2D Artwork: Book illustration

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Commander_V, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Commander_V

Commander_V I have no title HAH

Hi there :) 
    I've been lurking around on this site for some time, but only recently have actually registered here. Neat entrance, eh? Anywho, I thought I'd come share some of the things I've been working on, in particularly, the graphic work-in-progress for the fanfic book I am currently writing.
    This is a drawing done by me that was finished this morning. Hope you like it. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.
    It is pencil on plain standard sized paper.

[​IMG]

2. Psychomud

Psychomud Well-Known Member

Not bad. What helped me out best with my art is Brune Hogarth's 'Dynamic Anotomy' book (his whole series really!) - check it out.

ALSO - to give OP (and all TF's a more 3D feel - use thicker lines weights on the outline of the bot (sillouette) and slightly smaller (but still thick) lines on the major part of his body...

Example:

[​IMG]

Notice the varying line weights that bring depth to each of the characters in the panel above. Aslo, I use line weights to bring out major features in the bulk of their bodies. Shading and light also help bring your characters to life. Always consider your light source.

3. Commander_V

Commander_V I have no title HAH

I will definitely have to check that out. Thank you for the tip on the book.

Yeah, I totally see what you mean about the line weights. That's something I am going to have to play with a little. The one major gripe I have about the picture: it is very 2D. At the same time, I'm not wanting comic book style looking characters either, so I'm going to have to find a good medium ground to get the look I want.

Thank you again!

4. Psychomud

Psychomud Well-Known Member

No problem ;-)

5. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Reflected light helps a lot too....a very slight highlight on the shadow side which follows the form....basically light bouncing back onto an object from others around it. Helps tremendously with a 3-D look for some reason.