Bonds backs McGwire, Rose for Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drippy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Duh.. he wants his freaky steroid ass to be eligible when it is his time...

3. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Bah, least Rose deserves to be there cept for the gambling, McGwire and Bonds should never make it.

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    "Shoeless" Joe Jackson first, please.:) 

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I much rather have McGwire than Bonds making the HOF. At least McGwire is a nice and sincere person, 'roids notwithstanding. Bonds is just a SOB who don't deserve a job at this point. He'll get roundly booed if he ever breaks Hank Aaron's record I'll bet (unless he's in SF).

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pete Rose FTW

to hell with Bonds.

7. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd want McGuire in the Hall of Fame for the fact that he and Sosa helped reenergize baseball in 98 with the homerun chase.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT. What they did for baseball that year was a big deal to me. It was one of the main things that brought me back from the strike debacle.

9. Laquah

Laquah Wanna be a Canadian Idiot TFW2005 Supporter

Of those three - Pete Rose should be the only one even considered for the hall.

10. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

I've never had a beef against Bonds, big deal if he isn't nice to the media.

As far as the 'roids go, well if he did do them, which he mostly likely did, I blame baseball for not better policeing themselves.

11. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

McGwire was already awesome before his home run tirade!

Bonds on the other hand can kiss my ass.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Yeah, Pete Rose deserves to be there. Gambling might be wrong, but it never affected or influenced his play.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT. At least a little gambling never hurt or influenced his game.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nothing else need be said

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Gee, what a totally magnanimus gesture by Bonds. Nice of him to stick his neck out on an issue that in no way has any affect on him whatsoever. :roll

IMO Bonds should go in the Hall, simply because he established his credentials BEFORE he got juiced. So far as I know, there's no evidence, accusation, or even suspicion that he was juiced for his first three MVPs.

Big Mac should go in someday, but I don't think he deserved it now. Many still consider being a 1st ballot Hall of Famer to be a special mark of distinction, which is likely the only reason Gwynn and Ripken didn't get 100%. Given the suspicion of steroid use, and his refusal to discuss his own past, it gives enough of a taint to deny him immediate entry. Unlike Bonds, McGwire was a one-dimensional player. Take away his power, and he has no case for the hall. Put that under the shadow of steroids, and a strong case for the Hall becomes much weaker. In the end, it was McGwire who chose to play coy about his past. I see no reason why the writers can't play coy with his entrance into Cooperstown. He's still got another 14 years to make it in, and if he doesn't want to talk, I've got no problem making him wait.

As for Pete Rose, he burned his bridges badly. Many fans stuck by him for nearly two decades as he insisted he didn't bet on baseball. Then he writes a book and admits that he DID! Many who backed him felt played and resentful. It'll be a long time before he gets in. He should get in, but I don't think his time in purgatory is over yet.

Now, Shoeless Joe Jackson... he deserves to go in. Guy was given a lifetime ban. Well, his lifetime is long over, as are the lifetimes of those who imposed the ban and almost anyone who ever saw him play.

16. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

I agree with Boo & misterd.

Before any of these 3 are allowed into the Hall, Shoeless Joe should be there 1st.

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

No to McGwire. Wasn't a good enough player. A stronger Dave Kingman.

No to Rose. He did it to himself and had the chance to make things right two years ago and blew it. Now, even the players who are in the Hall don't want him in.

Yes to Bonds.

Hall of Fame players shouldn't be judged on how they treat the media. That's stupid.

18. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Meh..just stick asterisks beside their names that say "assisted"

19. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Looking at MAC's stats, he hit .260 or less 8 times. He struck out nearly 1,600 times and only had slightly above 1,600 hits in a 16-year career. A Hall of Famer getting only on average 100 hits per season!!!

The power and OBP are there, but everywhere else is lacking.

I don't see the numbers for him to get in (power aside). I don't even think anybody has ever thought of him as one of the all-time greats. Plus, I'm not so sure the writers will give him a pass next year or thereafter.

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Fame is more than just their playing credentials. McGuire and Sosa's home run chase brought baseball back from the brink. After the strike, fans just didn't care and it took that home run chase to bring people back to their TVs and back into stadium seats. To me, that alone gets him in the hall, even if not on the first ballot.

Rose deserves to be in as a player, the gambling was done as a coach and does taint his legacy, the fact that he refuses to really see it as the problem it was and how bad the cover up hurt his chances is sad to see. He may never get into the hall simply because of his attitude. His best chance was to come clean and appologise pubicly back when he had most of the fans on his side.

Bonds coming out in favor of Rose & McGuire is like Jerry Springer giving a lecture on journalistic integrity :)