Boldtoys G1 Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by thedreaded1, Mar 20, 2012.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    shockwave is seriously, the same type of engineering as a Megatron Gun, so the basis for design is there once you set it up. I wouldn't be surprised if Hegemon gets a remold into Shockwave.

2. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

What?

No.

The legs both turn into the gun handle, sure, but in a different way from Megatron, and the torso and arm transformations are completely different. Megs shifts his torso over and his arms become the back of the gun slide and he flips around the gun barrel from where it's stored on his back. Shockwave's arms are[i/i] the gun barrel, his backpack becomes a targeting area, there is no slide like in an Earth gun, and his torso doesn't shift, he just kind of leans forward. The guns wind up looking very different, adn I don't see how you could use Hegemon as a basis for a real homage of Shockwave. Even in robot mode, the torso would look completely wrong, and where Hegemon has a gun barrel and Earth-style trigger on his back, Shockwave is supposed to have the targeting section of the gun fold up into a backpack. The parts all look different and fold into completely different places fr alt mode.

I don't think it would be a remold, I think it would have to be a new design entirely.

I'd like to see the removable barrel be integrated into the forearms on a modern update though. Have the sides slide forward or fold out to cover the hands and form the barrel. Maybe a place to stash the trigger instead of having it just sit there in robot mode.

3. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope the people wanting shockwave are not wanting this third party group to do it. Their are plenty out there that would ACE a classics/g1 shockwave. All I see with this group is someone who jumped the gun and is just trying to get in the 3rd party race. These guys don't seem to have anything on par with what I'm used to seeing.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I didn't say anything about a real homage. If they are simply doing a gun <-> transformers scheme, not adhering to G1 transformation scheme, they can.

Also, torsos can be cheated, but I know how some feels about cheaty transformations.

And yes, I'd rather have the group that did Hegemon do Shockwave.

5. Oh_Slag

Oh_Slag Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hegemon all the way. Boldtoys' version is not bad, just looks too stiff.

BTW, any stores offering preorders for the Hegemon version yet?

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Maybe but not in the size class that a lot of us want, that being Ultra-sized or equal to PP01 Faith Leader and the MP Seeker molds. Who knows how far in the future or how long we'll have to wait for Takara's MP Megatron v2 to go with MP-10?

7. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    Captuered Prey is

8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    RobotKingdom offers it too.

9. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

CapturedPrey is in the States, so that should help those of us who were concerned about customs when importing from RobotKingdom or other overseas vendors.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    RK had the preorder out for at least a month now =)

11. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    the inside of the thigh's is a very KO like design i fear this would be a floppy mess

but it does look great

12. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So far I'm liking this one a lot more than the Hegemon one, especially for the head and legs.

13. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why hasn't this been front paged yet?

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think hegemon is a better match to things like Hexatron and Hercules so seems like a better bet - I don't dislike the new one but the arms looka bit fragile.

It's something I'd consider though even though I think G1 Megatron is a berk.

I think there's part of me that would rather have a Movie acurate ROTF Megatron since hasbro's managed to completely failed at ever making a toy that looked anything like him.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    No contest, the Hegemon design absolutely destroys this thing imo.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This. Not sure i am going to get any but if i did it would be Hegemon.

17. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Oh joy another stupid gun formers, 3rd worst alt mode in g1, come on best vertion of megatron was a tank, lets have a 3rd party of that.

18. Rahvin

Rahvin Well-Known Member

Megatron was not a tank in G1, and I absolutely hated the G2 tank design even as a child. I associate Megatron with a Walther P.38 handgun, and his original cartoon/animated movie appearances as such. I never particularly liked Beast Wars/Machines or the Unicron trilogy.

For me, Megatron IS a gun, and the only possible version of Megatron that I would purchase other than a gun is the IDW War Within Cybertronian version, a mining machine converted into a superheavy tank (and I am filled with dismay that the only toy representation of that incarnation was the horrible Titanium figure, which I nonetheless own).

Also, Shockwave is a giant gun, though a fixed-emplacement cannon is acceptable (since he didn't use mass-shifting to fit in a hand in the cartoon and behaved as if he were a fixed-emplacement cannon), and Galvatron is a giant space cannon.

19. Deszaras79

Deszaras79 I ♥ Brickformers

I want Browning
    [​IMG]!

20. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A variety of size options for my 3rd party Megatron is cool. This one looks about Deluxe size. Hegemon is Voyager sized, Megashooten is about Legends size, and Megagun is Nebulan sized.