Bold idea for a future series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by The F.N.G., Jan 14, 2011.

1. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is an idea I've been thinking about for the past week or so based upon seeing a couple threads discussing TF: Prime. With the new series, people are speculating when and if they'll kill off Optimus. I'm thinking, for a future series, why not just get it over with before the series even begins?

Have Optimus die in a battle close to the end of the war on Cybertron, with Rodimus Prime taking over the role of Autobot leader. Any thoughts?

2. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    I'd actually not mind this, not necessarily Rodimus taking over, but the whole Optimus dying before hand idea though.

Though I doubt Hasbro would do this as Optimus is one of their biggest names

3. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would kind of like new leaders with brand spanking new characters to take center stage for once. Optimus and co. may still exist in the continuity, but a series without homages would be incredibly interesting. It would never happen though.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think they would ever go with such a plan. Optimus Prime is far more iconic than Rodimus, heck these days Hasbro is very protective of the "Prime" handle. To do a series where Optimus dies in the beginning and Rodimus is Prime... well, reactions to Optimus's death in the 1986 movie and complaints about Rodimus Prime's characterization in season 3, anyone?

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it would be great to experiment with a show that isn't Prime-centric. Unfortunately he, and now Bumblebee I suppose, are the anchors of the franchise. It's probably not a risk Hasbro would be willing to take.

Although, it could be an excellent excuse to bring back G2, or something along the same line. That is, Prime is not dead, but out of the picture being old and legendary, with a newer generation of Cybertronians in focus.

Whatever happens, I'm excited to see what happens after the movie franchise ends. In particular, whether Hasbro will focus on expanding the Transformers universe, or increasing its resolution.

6. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    All of this. I, too, want a series where Optimus (and probably also Megatron) die within the first few episodes. Then the rest of the show revolves around a small Special Ops team lead by Jazz. I'd like the show to get political, and show the true nature of some of the Autobots (like maybe Prowl really trying to gain the new leadership position, but the Autobot council is unsure).

All of that, is what I'm using as a basis for my fanfic I hope to continue (past the first chapter I've done).

7. Oracle_Aesir

News Credits:
    I hope they retire Bumblebee personally...

8. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

I'd love a series in which Optimus and Megatron are dead and gone. Have Rodimus or Star Saber or Big Bang as the newly minted Autobot commander and Straxus or Deathsaurus or Overlord leading the Cons. The TF multiverse is filled with characters begging to be reused again. Why just stick to the same dozen over and over again?

Characters who should be banned:
    Optimus Prime
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Bumblebee
    Any Dinobots

Megatron
    Starscream
    Soundwave
    Shockwave
    Any Constructicons

9. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I'd love a series to go without Prime or even Megatron (and I love Megatron, so that's saying a lot). Another idea that would keep Prime in the mix would have him and Megatron teleported away during a fight in the first episodes and the rest of the series is their teams dealing with their loss while the leaders try to make it back, and maybe meet new recruits along the way.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I could fly with all new characters...

11. Oracle_Aesir

News Credits:
    Basically what happened in War Within 2 then? lol

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Now that would be interesting to see.

13. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

Eh, the reuse of characters is one of the things I love about the Transformers multiverse, and something I think really helps to tie it all together. Besides, if you just reuse obscure enough characters it's pretty much the same as having brand new ones.

14. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Yeah, I practically stole the idea from there, I'll admit it.

15. Oracle_Aesir

News Credits:
    but if you use different characters in every series then they don't get old and stagnant feeling like Bumblebee and Optimus have been getting recently

16. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, that's what I said.

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Some fans would probably welcome such a change, what with Optimus becoming less interesting these days, but of course, Hasbro remembers what happened with G1 and the major changes they did, and don't want to pull that again since it's financial suicide. However, a more positive reaction might come from replacing Megatron with someone else... other than Galvatron!

18. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I am too young to have seen G1 on tv, I have read about some of the negative reactions to Rodimus in season 3. Didn't really say it in my original post, but I do think some better characterization would be in order.

I did also read about the whole "Truck not Munky" thing, but don't a lot of people now regard it as one of the best?

As I said it's a bold idea, and it's interesting seeing other peoples opinions on the idea.

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I rather see Hasbro do something new again. I want new characters and new factions again. The ten years of Autobots and Decepticons in every series have really got old.

The series really needs to start going forward again instead of this nonstop repeating pattern. Far as I care it could be Dinobots against Seacons or Maximals against Terrorcons, but the Autobots and Decepticons needs to be retired again for awhile.

20. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a feeling that we'll see some reeeeeallllly interesting things done with Prime in the current series...they did name it after him, after all.