BoboFatt's Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by BoboFatt, Dec 15, 2017.

1. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Hello fellow members and collectors,

New guy here. I've been enjoying everyone's collections on the boards for a little while now. The bug has bit me, so I figured I should start my own thread.

About me - I only have about a dozen of my original TFs that I played with as a kid. I think they're called G1, classics, vintage or legends? I gotta get with the lingo. I regretfully sold most of them in the 90s to feed my Star Wars habit. I bought the only two MPs I ever saw in store and I was very impressed with how cool there were. I displayed my small TF collection for a bit, but my SW and movie replica collections snuffed it out. It's been sitting in boxes in my basement for the last 10+ years.

Flash forward to the last month - I like to look at collections of all sorts...been doing it for years. I like getting ideas and seeing how creative folks are with their displays. I remembered how much I used to love TFs and figured I should look for a TF forum and check out some TF collections. I was surprised to see how big the MP line got, got all nostalgic remembering my school yard TF battles with my buddies, and found the whole 3rd party world and the beautiful pieces it had to offer. So I bought a couple of G1s and a couple of MPs. Just as fast as they arrived, I already had a collection goal and display in mind based off my budget, room, and preferences. I recently starting working at home full time and turned my office/spare bedroom, into just my office. I was able to create a little space and now begins my TF collection journey. Not much, but you gotta start some place.

The collection goal - If I had unlimited space and funds, I'd get MIMB every TF I had as a kid. I'd get loose doubles of each vintage and MP of those same TFs so I could display robot and alt mode for each character and line. Since I don't have any unlimited resources, I figured out my compromise. These are not the final displays, but you get the idea. Thanks for stopping by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Nice display, its good to start off with great quality figures like these. Look forward to more

3. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

Very nice. I'm a a MISB collecter and sometimes it's hard. I bought Titans Return Arcee and I wanted to open it, but I left it.

4. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. At this point MISB is out of the question, but who knows what the future holds.

Speaking of quality figures, I decided that I want to get the MPs that are the closest representation to the cartoons. That said, I need the help of you experts.

I'm looking to get Thundercracker next. Which MP version is the closest to the cartoon?

5. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I dont have him, but MP-11T is probably the best representation of Thundercracker from g1.
    $224 tho:banghead: 

MP-7 is good too, but not the best coloring. Also MP-11T is a repaint of starscream and skywarp, so you can get a damn good looking seeker squad going

6. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

MP-11T is amazing. You can source him from either the sale threads here, or you can try on Jungle Japan or Mandarake.

7. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. I hope I'm not about to ask a sacraligious question, but are the KOs acceptable? Id rather get the real deal, but they maybe outta my budget. Plus I just got the Hasbro TRU Starscream and some of the parts are warped and I see sprue bits and stress marks. If the real deal, habro or Takara, have issue for the bigger bucks, maybe the KOs would be just fine for the money?

8. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

There is a philosophical question regarding KOs vs. originals. You can search this site for a pretty reasonable explanation of the draw backs. The quality generally is a gamble, and with some, you aren't that far away from original costs, since the resale prices haven't taken off yet. If you can be patient and source it from reputable domestic sellers, you could probably get most TT MPs for a reasonable prices that approaches the KO cost.

9. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Thank you for your response. Not surprising. Repos are highly frowned upon in the vintage star wars community. Another concern of mine is, being a novice, how can I tell if I'm getting the real deal? I think some of the ones I want are sold out from online stores, so I may have to go on the secondary market in some cases. I've literally seen people buying any expensive SW figure and "returning" it with a cheaper figure in the expensive packaging. I'm sure I'd notice if I bought a Grimlock and a Prowl arrived in a Grimlock package, but I probably wouldn't know if a KO Grimlock was in there. Speaking of dealers, which ones are reputable? After some digging on these boards, it appears BBTS and TFsource...who else?

Another question - if I'm seaching for the vintage TF I played with in the 80s (bought in the US at Kiddie City, Children's Palace, etc), What key words do I use? G1, classic, vintage, or Hasbro? What's the best way to find what I'm looking for? I think they go by many names and my results have been winky. For a guy just getting in, I'm not sure I'm finding what I'm really looking for.

Thanks again for your help.

10. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    I got my new display shelf. Nothing fancy, but it's where my TF collection will live for a good while. I am the original owner of everything below except for the MP Starscream and the vintage Kickback and Bombshell. I must have had a good amount of my old instruction books kept separate from my collection. The bulk of the collection got sold, but the instructions stayed with me. I have a couple of other vintage items, but they don't fit in my planned display. Plus Shockwave just doesn't want to stand anymore. I have some work to do and with the help of my fellow board members, it should be a fun ride.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    They appear to be both Japanese sites. I've never ordered from overseas sites before. That's pretty common for us here state side?

12. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Usually vintage or g1
    Shipping overseas is very common. Although you could probably find a more local location if you want. Just search "Transformers MP-11T". Also BBTS has him but at the moment he is sold out. I mostly get my guys from BBTS or amazon.

13. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Well, gotta try something new everyone once in awhile. Thanks for the help

Looking to get 3rd party MP Insecticons. Who makes the best cartoon version? I'm assuming I need to get Decepticon stickers for them. Any tips on the best quality/size for the MP line?

14. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Dig that display with the G1 instructions. Very cool idea.
    -G

15. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    Some contend no company got aĺl 3 perfect. But I would be inclined to say Fans Toys did best over all.
    Forager is a little tough (expensive ) to find at the moment IIRC..

16. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Thanks. I have plaques for a good portion of my other collectables and I like the look. I thought the instruction booklets were a nice alternative to custom plaques and cheaper. I'll get some acrylic frames for them eventually, but I want to keep them uniform, so I'll probably wait to buy them all at once.

I'll be on the lookout then. Do they make KOs of the 3rd party figures? I know KOs for Hasbro/Takara items are frowned upon, but are KOs of the 3rd party figures (if they make them)? IDK, I figure they are just knock offs of knock offs, kind of. Or are all 3rd party KO figures a no no in the community too?

17. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Its not like we will bully you or anything. You can collect whatever you want however you want. I just dont get KOs because they are not as good quality or as rewarding as the real deal.

18. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    KOs of 3p items are maybe frowned on a little bit less than KOs of the 'real' Masterpieces.
    Technically, 3p items are KOs in the first place i suppose.

Nothing Fans Toys has been knocked off yet, IIRC.
    It's suggeted that the majority of 3P operations can be traced back to one person.
    The companies that are willing to do business with this person seem to escape being KOd. (?)

19. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Ha, that's good to know. As I mentioned, in the SW collecting community is different. You are bullied because it's really hard to tell the difference. It increases the odds of getting shafted, knowingly and unknowingly for the whole community. That's why I'm hesitant about it in the TF world and why I'm asking so many questions. I would prefer the real deal too, but as I stated my TRU Starscream had issues. So my thought was, why not save some money if the quality is hit or miss for originals and KOs? I also can be impatient. The slow road of hunting down deals on real items, although satisfying, can wear on me. I ordered one KO a couple of weeks ago. I'll see how that goes....whenever that gets here.

Interesting and good to know. thanks

20. BoboFatt

BoboFatt Active Member

Ebay:
    Happy New Year everyone.

I'm hoping for some expert assistance. I picked up what was listed as a vintage G1 pre-rub Optimus Prime. What are the tells that can help me ID that all the parts, stickers, etc are legit? I can provide more pics if needed to help with the ID. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1