Boba Fett: failing to Keep It Simple Stupid

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by LoserBroadside, Feb 19, 2006.

1. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Boba Fett: failing to "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

Star Wars Transformer's Boba Fett looks amazing in both modes, and is absolutely no fun to handle or transform.

I got him a couple of days ago but I've held off on reviewing until I could make up my mind about him. The reason is that he really does look great. The molded details on him in both modes are many, the paint job is fantastic (particularly his ship mode) and the complexity of the toy is stunning.

In fact, my reasons for disliking and not being able to recommend this toy are different than usual: he's too complex.

The legs are a prime example of this. The simple approach would have been to have the knee joint double as the transformation joint like in E. Strongarm's legs. That would have allowed for good range on motion in the hips as well as the knees. This would have also used the basic shape of the ship's prow to form the legs and feet, making him very stable. Instead the designers employed a cumberson telescoping knee joing that restricts the knee bend to about 35 degrees and uses the narrow end of the prow to form the lower legs. Because the wider end of the prow becomes the hips, the hip range of motion is COMPLETELY blocked by the ship parts. He can split is legs to either side, and that's it.

The transformation for this toy is complex at a level usually reseved for Alternators. But the problem is this toy is much smaller and made of more plyable plastic. Parts pop off too easily. The arm/wings come off because the design requires that the arm pegs be able to pass through two layers of ship hull, not extend too far into the cockpit, ratchet swivel forward and backwards, and slide as a transformation hinge along a c-shaped track. The pegs they chose for this are too soft and too shallow, and are split in the top like Meister's ill-fated arm pegs. Plus, the arm movement is tied into the shoulder movement, which uses similar pegs. The result is that you cannot turn the wings in ship mode without either popping the arms off, moving the shoulder peices out of position or both.

The elbow joint is another issue of over-complexity. Instead of using a simple hinge, the designers added a spring-loaded plunger to the lateral rotation. The result, the arm either stays straight or bent to 90 degrees. That's it. Or, you can use the second elbow-ish joint that is down lower, but that one looks funny.

Finally, the guns that the toy comes with are too soft and the pegs are too short. Having Boba hold them is a pain and pegging them into place on the ship risks deforming the pegs.

Alright, I'm bored of writing this. This is more time then I planned to spend reviewing this toy. Overall; it's a very nice display peice but it ain't no toy.

-LB reeeeeally wanted to like this toy...

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

pics?

3. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sounds pretty suck.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn! After Vader, I'd figured the line was gonna be Cybertron-tricky, at best. :/

Ah well, I'll probably still pick him up if he displays nice.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just picked him up. I like him a lot.

As said he does fall apart when you try to transform him, but the pieces pop right back on. I actually LIKE the complexity of a transformer. Makes me feel like i got more for my money. With Vader i felt ripped off because it was simple. Boba looks smaller, but is well worth it for the complexity. Plus he looks great in both modes. They did it right once again.. So far i like two of the figure molds.

Boba get's a thumbs up from me.. Now to get Obi Wan and Jango sometime..

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just got him and Maul, and while I enjoy the complex transformation, I gotta agree with LB...the legs could have bent at the knee and made them SO much better. That way they could be a little longer (which he could use IMO), and have more stability, articulation, etc.

I REALLY hate the way the arms fall off. They could have fixed that with a washer on the inside of the cockpit to keep them from falling off. Perhaps I will try to fix this myself.

He does look awesome in both modes, and the ship mode is especially killer, but those crappy hips and arms falling off should have been designed better.

I still feel these are nice TFs, and will continue buying them, I just wish the designers would look more at keeping them in one piece, not just what design looks like it will hold together on paper.

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    And this goes towards what I see as a problem with the SWTF. Overly complex. Though word has it that these aren't TF team designed, but SW team. I gave them the chance with Vader and Luke. I'm a moderate SW fan, and though that would let me give some leeway towards design, but even at that I'm not buying anymore.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just posted a simple fix for the arms in the kitbash section.

Now to figure out the crappy hips!

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The legs bug the hell out of me on all of these guys except Vader. Robots need big stomping boots. Stomping is the whole point of giant robots. If you're not going to stomp on anything, you might as well be driving a tank.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Today I was having TF buying withdrawals so Boba is now part of my collection. He's cooler than I thought he would be. He looks a lot nicer in person than in pics. When you have him standing with a wide stance and his blasters pointed at you his proportions aren't as bad. No problems with the arms popping off on mine. The knees are kind of loose and Boba likes to lean backwards and sometimes fall. This is remedied by slightly leaning him forward. This guy is definitely better than that POS Luke X-wing TF I bought a few weeks back.