Bob Chipman asks: Is The G1 Transformers Movie really that good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TargetmasterJoe, Sep 9, 2017.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Film, like any communicative art form, relies on both the intentions of the creator and the subjective experience of the viewer. If you ignore either one, the art becomes pointless and masturbatory. It's also intellectually dishonest. If the artist meant something and nobody gets it, then the artist has failed. If the viewer can make up absolutely any bullshit interpretation they want, then what's the point of the work (we can make shit up without it), and why should we give a crap about anyone's interpretation besides our own? It's the meeting of the two perspectives that makes art meaningful.

This is compouned in film, where there are many artists involved in the work, whose visions and goals may differ from those of the others.

In the case of TFTM, maybe I wouldn't classify it as "Fine Art" but that's totally different from not having any artistic merit at all. I have full faith that at least some of the people involved wanted to make something meaningful within the limitations they had to work within... even if others involved didn't really care.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's like that old story about the Friday the 13th movies back when Paramount was making them. The creative types at the studio hated those movies & wouldn't go near them. They were the black sheep of the family. But the people in accounting loved them, because they always turned a profit & everyone always got paid.

(Is suddenly not sure that analogy works here, but whatever)

3. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I'm impressed very impressed by this post

• Like Like x 1
  4. RubberChicken

RubberChicken Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I liked the part where he said "Hot Rod sucks"

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Durr hurr

• Like Like x 1
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Always in someone's corner

News Credits:
    The people who despise Hot Rod and idolize Optimus are the same people who would do EXACTLY WHAT HOT ROD DID if put in his situation. They're all fanboys of the infallible Optimus like Hot Rod was.

• Like Like x 3
  7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    This thread makes me feel old...

8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

SPLIT is a fairly big fan of Beast Wars, and probably even moreso Transformers Animated.

I'm not going to watch the video, as I'm at work and wouldn't be able to hear the sound anyway, but I will say that I never walk into viewing TFTF thinking it's on the level of Wrath of Khan. That would be absolute folly. I do, however, get just as much fun watching it as I do Flash Gordon, Krull, or Enemy Mine. It keeps me entertained, and therefore I believe that it is "good".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    *hits 'Like'*

The guy really knows his stuff, both Transformers and history of the time. :buttrock 

--Moony

• Like Like x 2