Bob Chipman asks: Is The G1 Transformers Movie really that good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TargetmasterJoe, Sep 9, 2017.

1. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Somewhat recognized Internet critic, Bob Chipman (a.k.a. Moviebob), dedicated a new episode of his series Really That Good to The Transformers: The Movie.

Take a look and debate just how well of a point he's made!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mugen Roid

Mugen Roid Chaotic smirker

YouTube:
    I love the work that Moviebob does, but I cringe every time that Geewuner attempts to talk about Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I personally think he makes a very good point regarding the G1 movie in a lot of places. In fact, I was surprised with stuff like:

• Because the toys are a collection of robot toys from Japan, Hasbro had to make up their own toy story (so to speak) regarding the Transformers in general and because of that, they did so good a job with the likes of Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Starscream that the movie became a case of "Gone Horribly Right."
    • The idea that the movie can be seen as a war movie wherein the leaders of both sides have been taken out and the rookies are scrambling to figure out what to do next when the embodiment of the apocalypse shows up to wreck everything and these rookies become better and stronger as a result.
    • The other idea that the movie has a moral that not only is change from a status quo inevitable, it should be welcomed.
    I never thought of those points until Moviebob pointed them out in this video.

• Like Like x 8
  4. The Smirker

The Smirker Drifting is my game.

Really thorough review, it reminded me why tftm was so good and why I loved it. Kudos to him, top effort.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jumacas

Jumacas Well-Known Member

Maybe Hasbro should see this, so they can try getting Transformers horribly right again. How many decades have to pass until Hasbro and some part of the fandom, re-learn, for the millionth time, that Transformers, thanks to G1 and other brilliant works of fiction, is something far far greater than just toys? The sole reason that this franchise exists and has lasted so long is because G1 made people see characters in the plastic, rather than plastic in the characters. Supposedly, they took that lesson when they killed off Optimus Prime and half of the cast in the '86 movie. But, their decisions ever since, say otherwise. Constatly disregarding the mythos, the concept, the characters, the uniqueness of the concept and the artistry and sheer creativity about it, with the excuse of everything being "just toys". The toys are cool, don't get me wrong. But, overall, the way Hasbro treats Transformers, is really, like owning Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, and seeing no further value in it other a means to advertise and sell bubblegum. And somehow, the fandom seems ok with it and rewards them for it for fiction that is far below par.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

He lost me when he started whining about Hot Rod.

Too much attached emotionally to the movie to be believable or objective.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    This did nothing to convince me. The movie is still just a stupid, soulless toy commercial aping popular trends and fumbling to establish its own mythology.

You could even say it really isn't that good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope. this is just a view from a guy that does not "get" what some people like about something.

its like trying to scientifically prove why your favorite color is wrong. stupid.

I always thought the voice acting was solid.

9. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Well to be honest, the Transformers writing has never been high quality. Sure it has its lore and awesome storytelling moments, but it has had its mediocre characters and storytelling as well. I often get so involved in my perception of Transformers lore that I tend to blur the lines of my vision of the story compared to the actual story being told, which results in me mistakenly putting the writing on way too high of a pedestal. This isn't to say the storylines in Transformers is bad though. It honestly comes down to what people prefer in the end. I look at Transformers back then compared to now and see there's just as much care being put in the stories. We have fun likeable characters, awesome villains, and pretty good storylines.

Sure the stories often have their silliness and/or their flaws, but G1 had those as well. I could point out so many problems in G1 just like how someone could look at the movies and do the same thing. It even works in the opposite way, I could look at the movies and point out the good just like how I can do so with G1. It honestly boils down to preference; which storyline manages to connect more to the individual. Some like Animated's take on Transformers, some like G1, and even some like the movie's take. There really isn't a defined take on Transformers since different creators have different visions. The only defining element that spans across continuities is the transforming element and the portrayal of certain characters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jumacas

I think there is a debate about a much broader issue lingering here, which is that of aesthetic relativism, which I am absolutely not a fan of as a concept. G1 did far more than it was asked to, for its time. While far far from something perfect, I would liken it to anything from the golden age of comics, which if you read today, you can point to a million flaws and overall silliness. But that was not were their qualities lied. They created something authentic, with a beating heart. We don't think low of them today, because, subsequent media have respected their legacy and built upon it in a loving way, rather than amplifying their flaws and misrepresenting them to the general public, like recent Transformers media have done. The fact alone that there needs to be a comparative debate today, and that it is justified by valid arguments, should prove to Hasbro and to all us, that the franchise has not indeed moved forward, but rather struggling to re-claim already claimed creative ground.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Seriously? You're not a fan of the original animated movie? I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're hanging around TFW2005, what version of Transformers DO you find "that good"?

• Like Like x 4
  12. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:
    There are a couple of things I do like about the animated movie.

Namely the soundtrack and voice acting to a degree.

Even after watching the video, I still wasn't feeling it. Maybe because I was never around the 1980s. Some interesting commentary though.

13. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    The soundtrack and the mythology added to the franchise are the only good parts of the original movie.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I enjoyed this as an examination of the 'cult classic' nature of the film, with a handful of insights I hadn't really considered before.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's not. it's as convoluted, disjointed and bad as any bayformer movie, it juat has more transformers in it.

16. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I'm surprised at how many of the people above have panned this video, or, even that anyone could. It was genuinely actually kind of inspirational to me, much the same way Gurren Lagann was, and maybe even moreso in how personal it is. The allegory between Optimus Prime's death and the death of a nuclear family, and the message that Hot Rod, and by proxy the viewer, could become something greater in spite of it that MovieBob shared here really highlighted and gave perspective to a depth in the movie that I've never articulated but have been able to feel for a long time.

The same goes for the allegory between Spike and the adult fan. Now I want to grow up to be him from the comic and the cartoon.

[and immediately I find myself re-watching the last 15 minutes. As you all should too.]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Jumacas

People in the Transformers fandom, especially, will go to great lengths to defend and justify their cognitive dissonance.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or on the other hand, you're reading far too much into it, and it's simply a shameless rip-off of the Obi-Wan / Luke dynamic from Star Wars. (Old leader/mentor figure dies, young innocent hero character gains wisdom and responsibility, steps up to the plate.)

Look, TFTM is a fun film. It's extremely well-made. It's iconic, it's colourful, it's a cult classic and it's a guilty pleasure.

But is it actually a good film? I'm not convinced.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

You imply that anything about Star Wars was truly original?

You list positive traits of TFTM... and then say they don't contribute to it's merits? That it is "extremely well made" but not a good film?
    I can't say that you're wrong...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some people here need to read beyond the video's title. Bob there is not calling TFTM a good movie so much as he is examining why it works for those who do enjoy it, and has more apparent 'staying power' than most other merchandise-driven feature animation of that time.

• Like Like x 6