Bob Budiansky interview

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by $shockwave$, Jul 26, 2009.

1. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Bob Budiansky interviewed

GrungewerX and Carcass recently secured an exclusive interview with the original Marvel Transformers writer, Bob Budiansky this past week. They've got the interview up on their blog at http://transformers-advent.blogspot.com/ or at Carcass's personal blog at http://rustingcarcass.yuku.com/topic/954

The transcript was provided by Carcass, who also conducted the interview, but GrungewerX contributed many of the questions. I'm sure the fans of TFW2005 would love to read it as it gives a lot of insight into Bob's original thought process in writing the series.

also he is responsible for most of the 80's background story. :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
  3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Ah ok... so he is the creator of Circuit Breaker. Interesting...

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Ulcthar!!!!!

5. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    The "Father" Of G1 Interview

The Rusting Carcass has posted a long interview with Bob Budiansky, an editor and writer for Marvel Comics back in the 80s. His name probably doesn't mean much too many but he is essentially the "father" of the Generation One Transformers that we know and love and helped create the foundation for all that has followed these 25 years. With a few exceptions, fan favorites such as Megatron, the Dinobots, Sideswipe, Shockwave and more all were named and defined under his pen as he created the initial Tech Specs on the boxes and devised their back-story and personalities that were used in the cartoon series and US Transformers comics from then on (but not always exactly followed of course).

Click here to read the full interview as he attempts to recount how he became involved with Transformers, how some of the names were created (Megaton + Tron = Megatron), and more.

6. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Shockwave was Spock as a Decepticon. I guess that sounds logical. That's an obscure Transformers/Star Trek tie in. Very interesting to consider that he would have written the tech specs about the same time Star Trek III: The Search for Spock came out (which was 1984).

So if Shockwave wrote an autobiography would the title be "I am Spock."

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

legit

8. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Evil Decepticon Ulchtar, LOeffinL

9. frilly toothpick

frilly toothpick Decepticrumb

wow, im glad he pushed for the megatron name. id say that if it werent for mr budiansky, transformers would have had go-bot sounding names.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Budianski is responsible for what we enjoy today. I really think that without his work on the bios of each character, TFs would just be another half-remembered '80s fad. I can't be the only person who'd buy Transformers because of their bio details? Hell, I bought Guzzle purely on the strength of his motto. "It is better to have fought and lost than never to have fought at all."

11. newguy

newguy i

That man is a hero

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Bob Budiensky was responsible for some of the greatest TF stories and ideas ever. And the worst too. Car wash of Doom anyone?

13. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Excellent read! Thanks for the linky.

14. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    #1 - What's wrong with the Carwash of Doom? Wonderful idea of a Carwash that makes people give up their gas to get energon for the Decepticons.

#2 - I wish the Transformers films gave Budiansky credit. Something like "Based on characters and concepts created by Bob Budiansky and Marvel Comics" or something like that. He's as much the father of Transformers as Stan Lee is of the FF.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

You are not alone. :) 

25 years on, it's unfortunate that the details aren't as fresh for him. Some of the questions asked in the interview were REALLY nerdy, and I would have loved to ask him a few things myself... but whether he would remember this stuff as well as we do... unlikely. :D 

For him it was just a bunch of toys he wrote for in the 80's, but I think the work he did for those old profiles was exceptional. He underplays it in this interview, talking about pulling ideas out of the air, but the fact that they still stand as some of the most credible work in the TF canon shows that at the time he didn't just phone it in.

I liked this bit:
    That really sums up what a big part of the appeal of Transformers was for me (and still is), and explains why I lost interest when they moved into space in Season 3.

What makes Transformers special is their displaced context, and their duality as living machines (and how that conflicts with our own perceptions of machines).

Remove that, and it's just another melodrama about space aliens.

zmog

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I think that's where a lot of people kind of lost interest. It wasn't about these incredible machines living in our world, disguised as our cars anymore. It was just another space/sci-fi cartoon.

I've noticed it's often a little disappointing to realise that this thing that is so important to us was just another job to so many of the people who worked on it. Makes it kinda nice that in recent years they've been able to get the recognition they deserve for bringing so many people so much joy, and such empty wallets.

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    GrungewerX also had PMed me about this, so I've edited the first post to provide better information and links to both locations of the original interview. I've also merged 2 threads on this interview together. Thanks everyone, especially Sol Fury for Schoolin' me, as I only knew about 2/3rds of what I wrote on the FP. :D 

18. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Personally I love how we have Bay front paged saying "I hate Dinobots" then the next article up is " I created the Dinobots" lol

Why is Bay held with more regard as a creative genious around here than Bob Budiansky ??

I wonder what the TF movie would have been like if the original Marvel writers were allowed creative input on it.......... AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!1

19. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great & insightful interview.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    According to whom?
    Bay is referenced more right now because the movie is current.
    That's it.

And arguments about who is more of a "creative genius" are doomed from the start anyway.