BM/BW in G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, Apr 20, 2008.

1. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Ever since Beast Machines started, there had been a lot of talk of the organic nature of Cybertron. I doubted it all myself until I was watching Dweller in the Depths today and the Quintessons were talking about the precursor to the Transformers called the Transorganics. They sure seemed to have plenty of organic matter to them, including a bear with octopus tentacles. Hell, through the whle episode, the depths of Cybertron looked organic. Now whether the organic nature was always there or the Quints brought it there from another world may never be explained, but doesn't that show at least some organics in the Transformers past?

Oh, and I saw Webworld too, and I noticed it's the first mention of the word Maximal that I've ever heard. I know it was just somethign the alien said, but my ears perked up when I heard it.

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Cool. I like the connection. As a fan of Beast Machines, I like that there is a way to connect it. Especially given how badly it was received.

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I noticed that too so the Beast Machines thing never really struck me as being so far out of left-field. While Cybertron had been shown to be metallic, nothing tells us that it was built out of scratch, like a bunch of metal welded together with no core.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The more I look back, the more it seems they were always heading in that direction. Constantly testing the waters with animal alt modes like Ravage, Laserbeak, the Dinobots, then pushing it just a wee bit further with the Insecticons and their appetite for all things metal and organic.

There seems to be a lot of animal life on Cybertron, whether it's robotic or not. Hard to say judging by some of the pics (fish, bats, etc.). Why have robotic animals?

Rumble turning into a tree. Hehe. Not really, but c'mon! The first plant-former!

"Desertion of the Dinobots part 2" when Shockwave puts them all to work mining the rocky interior of the planet.

"Dweller in the Depths" like you said.

Alpha Trion predicting the merging of human/nebulan life with Transformers and how it was key to a miracle.

Syntho-flesh; first used by Pretenders and seen still in use by the Maximals and Predacons.

Transmetal and Transmetal 2 tech, which interwove the machine with the animal to an even greater degree.

The further you go along, the closer and closer it gets to seriously merging the technological with the organic until we wind up with Beast Machines.

5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

There is actually an origin for the planet Cybertron given in Marvel Comics issue "Primal Scream". Primus had been locked in battle with Unicron until Primus managed to trick him resulting in the two of them being trapped in lifeless metallic asteroids. Unicron then psionically reshaped his asteroid into his transforming planet eating body we know so well and in response, Primus reshaped his into Cybertron and created the Transformers.

6. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Although I don't think that BW/BM followed the Marvel continuity. Yeah, references to Primus and everything, but I think they'd have found bits of him in BM as they went deeper into the planet.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Transmetal technology was a biproduct of alien technology, not of Cybertron or Earth, so it shouldn't be counted. Though Megatron's experiments with it (resulting in Transmetal ducky and Transmetal 2) could be counted as half-and-half.

Still, you raise a valid point. I always loved Beast Machines because it was so ahead of it's time and even bests most cartoons nowadays. It gets so much undeserved flak when it should be being praised. Alas, some people are just too close-minded.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Beast Machines fit in very well with the G1 cartoon, while Beast Wars (probably due to Simon Furman's involvement) followed the comic.

That leads to my theory of there being two distinct TF universes, and at some point in between BW and BM, they switched. Beast Machines followed a version of Beast Wars that we never saw.

9. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

You know that is a pretty good theory. If they're flying through time, it can't be much of a stretch to say they moved to another universe.

10. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

BW I'd have to say pulled elements from both the cartoon and the comics while BM based it's background information on just the cartoon. As for finding "bits" of Primus, he's supposed to BE Cybertron. Like Unicron, the whole planet is his physical body.

11. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see the progression of cybertronians themselves from purely technological to technorganic as a result of their continued exposure to alien lifeforms though. I mean, Headmasters; right there you have two separate species merging to form a single whole. Whether its human or nebulan or vok or something else, the end result is a higher degree of integration of organic material into their technology.

It's also one of the reasons I love TF Animated; all their safeguards to prevent organic contamination. :D  We already saw how Megs reacted to organics. It's nice to see the 'bots take on it too.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    As I recall, Furman only directly participated in the Beast Wars cartoon fairly late in its run. Larry and Bob had already incorporated elements of the Marvel G1/G2 continuity into the cartoon beforehand.

Of course, as they were greatly impressed with the G2 comic, I suppose Furman indirectly contributed to BW before he had even heard of it.

13. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    HAHA, I can't believe I completely forgot about Primus and the old comics! I've been so focused on IDW and Animated so much that I forgot the particulars of the other fiction. :eek:  Thanks for the refresher.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Oh I see, I thought you meant the Transformers invented Transmetal technology. My bad.

15. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    these topics hurt my head, lol...