Bluestreak, Silverstreak, Same guy different name?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm confused about a G1 character. In the cartoons, he's called Bluestreak, but the toy is Silverstreak. I've never seen a toy called Bluestreak, doesn't mean there isn't one, just never seen it. I've got Silverstreak my self.
    Is he the same guy with different name, or are they two separate people? I've looked in the resources G1 menu and found both. Both look the same, and both have identical bio's. Is there a reason for this?
    It's almost like the deal with Jetfire. In the cartoon, he's Skyfire, but the toy is called Jetfire!
    I don't want to get in another converse about Jetfire, but I am curious about Silver/Bluestreak.

If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Hasbro lost the rights to use the name "Bluestreak," so when the Toys R Us reissue was released in the early 2000's the name "Silverstreak" was used instead. They're the same dude.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    His G1 toy was named Bluestreak. But, I believe hasbro lost the rights to his name, so he took on the moniker Silverstreak.

4. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Hasbro also never pursued the name "Bluestreak", because, in the words of a designer or two, "there's nothing blue about him". He's a silver/gray car. The name makes no sense from a marketing standpoint. Even if he went super fast, it'd still be ... a silverstreak ;) 

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

He was called Bluestreak in the G1 cartoon, comics, and his original toy. When they came out with the G1 Reissues, in the 2000s, Hasbro was unable to secure the trademark for the name Bluestreak, so the G1 Reissue toy was renamed Silverstreak... and since then, the name pretty much stuck, as far as the toys were concerned. He's still referred to as Bluestreak in the Dreamwave and IDW comics.

6. Tigertrack

...........see, I never knew that! If I remembered correctly though, didn't he have more blue in the cartoon? Or am I thinking Smokescreen?
    At any rate, I figured he was the same character......................almost seems like some of these characters have multiple identities, Silverstreak, Bluestreak, Jetfire, Skyfire, et'c. How many other characters have two names?

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You must be thinking of Smokescreen. I've been watching the DVD's and like Kickback said there is nothing blue about him. Which had me wondering why or how he took on that name in the first place.

8. Tigertrack

How can I confuse Smokescreen with Bluestreak? Smokescreen was the coolest of the Datsun's!

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Well, there's Hot Rod, who is now called Rodimus due to copyright issues with the former name.

In the case of Jetfire/Skyfire, he was called Jetfire in the Marvel G1 comics, but in the G1 cartoon he was called Skyfire. I have no idea why that was so, but for the most part he's called Jetfire.

10. Tigertrack

I thought Hot Rod became Rodimus Prime when he became leader?

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    He did, but due to a Tradmark issue he stayed as Rodimus in future incarnations and toys.

This is from TFwiki about it. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hot_Rod_(G1)

12. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more. :D 

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    He was called Bluestreak because the original Diaclone colors were blue with a silver hood. The decision was made to change the colors of the toy to silver with a black hood before the cartoon came about, but after the name was settled. Then ultimately the black hood was dropped before the toy was released so he was just plain silver.

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The reason that the original name was designed and given to him is because how he is. Blue Streak informally means fast-moving person or thing and to talk very quickly and without pausing.

What does his bio indicate about him?

1) In automobile mode, Bluestreak is among the fastest Autobots.
    2) Bluestreak often talks incessantly and inanely.

15. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Insane Galvatron is 100% correct.

"Hot Rod" was lost as a name, so when the reissue of the figure came out, taking a play on the Beast Wars Transmetals 2 character "Optimus Minor", Hasbro went ahead and made him "Rodimus Minor". Then, Hasbro got really picky with how they use the name "Prime" (hence Hot Rod now being just "Rodimus" and why "Nexus Prime" was given the unfortunate name of "Nexus Maximus" originally). The last use of "Rodimus Prime" was both in the figure's reissue state-side, as well as in the Transformers Energon cartoon (I believe), but not in the actual toy release.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    he did but as Hasbro can't get rights to the name Hot Rod he is called Rodimus. its a change for marketing reasons plain and simple same for Blue/Silverstreak.

17. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Jetfire/Skyfire = Because of Harmony Gold's Robotech/Macross
    Bluestreak/Silverstreak = 2003's TRU reissue, trademark lossIn
    Hotrod/Rodimus (Prime) = 1986 TFTM H.P. gained matrix, became R.P., O.P. reactivated, R.P. became H.R. again. H.R. retconned into just Rodimus (no prime), trademark loss.
    Shockwave/Shockblast = Trademark loss, later regained. Now Shockwave = TF character, Shockblast = the GI Joe character
    Shrapnel/Insecticon/Sharpshot/Zeke = trademark loss, then temporary fix for the character, then final new name chosen for the character. Shrapnel name sounds too war related considering the current world condition at the moment.
    Bombshell/Hardshell = trademark loss, then final new name chosen for the character. Also too war related and whatnot.
    Jazz/Agent Meister/Autobot Jazz = trademark loss, then temporary fix (see TRU CSIII 2003 stickers), then final new name for character. Jazz was too generic to trademark, being a music genre and female WWE wrestler and other such nonsense.
    Tracks/Autobot Tracks = TM loss, too generic and whatnot.
    Grapple/AUOTBOT GRAPPLE/Autobot Grapple = trademark loss, then hasbro without spellcheck, then final new name for character.

I could go on... but well... I won't.

18. Tigertrack

Let's not forget Megatron became Galvatron!

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:

This.

The name had nothing to do with his colour scheme. It was a name based off of personality. To talk alot is to talk up a bluestreak. But that is an old saying so it really did get lost on a silver character.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

20. Tigertrack

Then there's that movie Blue Streak with Martin Lawance! That was awesome!