Blueray-High Def DVD's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

So, I'm curious and looking for info and opinions on this matter..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back in 99 I started collecting DVD's as often as I could, which back then wasn't much..But it's since grown rather large, in my opinion. I don't burn or bootleg or anything, I have to buy from the store, and get the case. More so if they then come out with the special edition and then a anniversary edition and what not. So now some movies I have like 2-3 versions of each.

Now, the question is, I'm starting to see and hear all about the BlueRay stuff, and HD DVD's and players etc. And they're expensive. What do you all think..Will this stuff take over and become the norm for movie releases and send regualr DVD the way of beta and VHS? Do you start collecting the BlueRay and HD DVD's now, at the prices they're at now? Are they the way to go now..Or will regular DVD's still be around and usable for the forseeable future?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    actually, youre better posting this off at general discussion. joe moore seems to know his shit when it comes to DVDs.

3. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

No idea how to do that though, so,

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Whatever you do, don't toss out your current collection. From the sounds of it, neither new DVD spec really gives a HUGE improvement over current DVD tech, and there's no reason to upgrade an entire library of movies, especially if you like current extra features on the DVDs you have.

As for whether the improvement is worth buying into at this point? That's a question better answered by people with TVs far, FAR better than mine.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok here's the deal. Right now, it's not very benefinicial to upgrade your collection just yet. If you have or are planning on buying an HDTV in the near future, Blu-Ray and HDDVD may be an option, but I would still hold off. Right now, with the format war in full effect, it's hard to choose who to go with. Blu-Ray has many more studios backing them, but HDDVD is a less expensive option. If you want, I can go into some of the major differences between the format, cause there are some significant ones.

What I would invest in, if you have or are buying an HDTV, is an upconverting DVD Player. This has done wonders for my DVD's. For as little as $80 you can buy a DVD player that will upconvert your current DVD's to 720p and 1080i (standard players will output at 480p at best). A new player is coming out for $230 that will upconvert DVD's to 1080p, and the reviews for that player seem very positive. You would need to buy an HDMI cable to use the upconverting. Buy that cable from Target or Wal-Mart. Best Buy and Circuit City charge $80+ for it, while Target and Wal-Mart have them for as little as $30. I got a Monster HDMI on sale at Target for $24 a few months ago.

Now if you are sticking with a standard tube TV, then the HD formats won't give you anything over your current DVD's.

If there's anything else you need help with, let me know. I have been really brushing up on the HD stuff lately.

6. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I have 3 tv's, a flat 32" Hd TV, a 35" tube, and then another 35" flat tv. And I have 3 cheapo dvd players for 33$ from Walmart. I don't know that I've ever had or noticed any issue with quality of DVD's. Is the audio quality improved or something.

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    On the Blu-Ray and HDDVD you can get improved sound. However, you would need a 5.1 surround sound system or better to use the uncompressed audio tracks. Through standard TV speakers the sound is actually a bit softer on both Blu-Ray and HDDVD.

If you spend the cash on an upconverting DVD player, you will see a noticeable rise in video quality on your HD TV's. The sound will depend on your setup no matter which DVD player you use. If you use an Optical Audio Out to a surround sound system, you will get great audio playback. The cheapo player should be fine on your 35" tube TV.

8. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Will the BR and HD dvd players play the old dvd's as well?

9. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Players that support either new format willl play standard DVDs anyways. So I don't see DVD going the way of vhs anytime soon.

10. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Yeah, DVDs aren't going anywhere. This whole BR/HD-DVD thing is more like a slight upgrade rather than a whole format change like the move from VHS.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Honestly I think DVDs look great on an HDTV. To me HDDVD and Bluray is more hype than anything and really only caters to videophiles. I wouldn't even bother until DVDs finally get fazed out

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'd at least wait until there's a clear winner between HDDVD and Blu-Ray.

13. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes they will. Most (if not all) will also upconvert your standard DVD's to 1080i as well.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hold on, how does resampling a normal DVD to a higher res source work? Wouldn't it look the same on a HDTV?

15. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I think HD-DVD, Bluray, CD and DVD are all going to die pretty soon. With download services becoming increasingly common, having physical collections of music and video is goint to become a thing of the past.

a HD DVD player isn't necessarily so expensive, though. If you have an xbox 360, the add-on costs $200. The 360 also has great quality DVD playback. Also, you don't actually need a HD DVD player yet. Most HD DVDs have standard definition DVD on one side and HD on the other, so they will actually work on your current DVD player.

In any case, I would not upgrade my collection to HD. Although the increase in quality is significant, I wouldn't say it's big enough to warrant buying any movie all over again. Just buy your new films on the new format.

About upscaling: many TVs upscale internally, so if you have a fancy TV, you may not need a player that does the same thing.

16. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

They will keep making dvds for a while. Kinda like when cd's first came out and Laserdisc.

17. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's what I initially thought, but the upsampling uses algorithms to resample the DVD at a higher pixel count. As long as the source material was well mastered, the upconversion looks pretty amazing and shows much greater clarity than a simple progressive scan at 480p. Results of upconversion will vary greatly depending on the player. I use a Panasonic player that does a pretty amazing job. I used to have a generic brand (might have been Apex) upconverting DVD player and when I bought the Panasonic the change was very noticeable. There are some no-name companies who's upconversion techniques leave a lot to be desired.

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've heard a number of people say this but I don't see it happening any time soon. For most people, having a movie on a disc is much more convenient and you can do what you want with it, at least in the case of CD and DVD. Also, the movie and music industries are really shooting themselves in the foot with their assinine DRM implementations.

Who needs an Xbox? I bought the drive and hooked it up to my computer.

If I remember right, the combination discs are actually more expensive than if you bought the HD DVD version alone. It is cheaper than buying the two versions separately though.

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Allowing the TV itself to do any upscaling is a bad idea. The TV would need to interlace and deinterlace the video which usually results in the blurry images that DVD and standard TV are known for on HD sets. By using a direct digital signal (via HDMI) from the player to the TV, there's no need to interlace the video at the TV itself resulting in much sharper images. If you use a DLP then there's no interlacing at all, from a DVD connected with an HDMI, as the video will remain digital all the way through. The best DVD upconversion systems use DCDI, which is the highest rated upconversion there is.

20. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Don't worry about upgrading your collection right now. Also save your dvds, most HD / Blu-Ray players (I know for sure HD-DVD, not quite sure if Blu-ray) will play current DVDs. Right now I got a HDtv (52 inch DLP), also got a progressive scan and upscaling dvd player for about $110 (this was over a year ago, now they are even cheaper). Also picked up some HDMI cables offline, way cheaper than Best Buy, Target, Crap-Mart (wally world), Circuit City, etc. I did pick up this weekend a cambridge surrond sound speakers(5.1 for now), picked up a receiver for 7.1.

As for which is better, I would say Blu-Ray but due to costs right now it might not win out. But don't quote me on who will win the battle between HDdvd and Blu-Ray. I think Blu-Ray is better, but that doesn't mean who will win.