Blue Eyes VS Red Eyes - What's the reason?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DemonessQ3A, Mar 24, 2011.

1. DemonessQ3A

DemonessQ3A Well-Known Member

Most of Autobots have blue eyes, and most of decepticons have red eyes. What's the reason for this? They're the same species.

2. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I've always just chalked it up to Red=evil, blue=good.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

That's the general rule I go by as well. However, we all know there are exceptions to every rule...

For example, in toy and comic form, Grimlock generally has red eyes, but in the cartoon they were blue. There's probably a whole load of others as well.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Its probably like that so its easier for kids to differentiate between the good guys and bad guys.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah, just to make the difference between the two more clear.

I know there are people opposed to it, people who love to see many variations of eye color..personally, I love it.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's the whole blue = good red = evil analogue which grew out of the original cartoon. Blue is the colour of the sky on a clear and calm day, red is the colour of fire and destruction.

For a fiction explanation, Exodus is the only fiction to really attempt an explanation, but suggesting that all Decepticons have red eyes because of their Dark Energon taint.
    Animated is the other major one, and it actually does show the Constructicons get branded and have their entire colour schemes change as a result. So there is probably something in the Animated branding process that affects physical colouration and the eyes.

7. DemonessQ3A

DemonessQ3A Well-Known Member

I know the general blue-good vs red-evil rule. But confused if decepticons are "born" evil if their eye color is biological. The Animated seems try to give a logical explanation.

another question: if blue eyes comes from western people's racial feature. (that's natural, not wrong)
    Someone in my country has made an analysis about "racial attitude" in Chinese traditional culture. Since the majority of chinese have dark-brown eyes, in chinese myths and old fiction, good guys have dark-brown eyes, and blue - gray -green eyes are either evil (90%) or especailly clever (10%).

In Robowarriors - a chinese transforming robot cartoon, good guys have light-brown eyes. This is probably (1) to avoid repetition on autobots, (2) dark-brown eyes seem not so fit for transforming robots.
    Bad guys also have red-eyes. (I think the reason is no human race have red-eyes. This color reminds us of fire, blood and carnivore)

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Or, how about that the transformers used different color LED's for their own eyes? :p 

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Unicron has green eyes and Swindle has purple ones. Those are just two off the top of my head.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm surprised Starscream doesn't have brown eyes since he's so full of shit.
    But then again, I haven't seen brown LED's.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:lol  Have you been saving that one up?

12. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Well, Blue eyes has about 3000 attack points, while the Red eyes has only 2400 and--oh...nevermind. Wrong franchise.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Hahaha!

I always figured they should have given Starscream green eyes, on account of the whole "green-eyed monster of jealousy" thing, since jealousy is his defining characteristic. But I guess red looks more sinister, and maybe isn't so on-the-nose.

14. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    I, too, was thinking about this the other day. The real reason, as has been stated, is that blue = good guys, red = bad guys. Transformers isn't the only franchise to do that (see lightsaber colors in original Star Wars films, among many others).

In-universe I can't really think of a satisfying explanation. Physiologically, since 'bots are not born into their faction, and good and evil are arbitrary viewpoints and not some kind of inherent physical property, that seems like a flimsy reason. Perhaps it is a matter of changing LEDs/settings based on the preference of the 'bot, or enlisting in either faction has the requirement that, in addition to a faction symbol, soldiers must change their eye color.

Interestingly, in Beast Wars, this trend is not followed at all. Depth Charge, Rhinox,Rattrap and Primal all have red eyes, while Cheetor and Silverbolt have yellow, and Rampage has green. Out-of-universe, I think eye color was chosen to fit the color scheme best in BW's case.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I always like yellow eyes when they show up on figures. G1 Optimus and Megatron had yellow eyes on their toys. Blue eyes on a figure where their head is mostly blue sometimes looks duff. On some Optimus toys you can barely see their eyes at all, even with light-piping.
    Amusingly Powermaster Optimus had blue eyes on his normal mode head and red eyes on his supermode head. I guess combining with your trailer makes you evil.

Anyway, wish there were more yellow eyes in the TF media.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The 'blue eyes, red eyes' rule is a bit simplistic; I didn't like it at first, but have gotten used to it by now.

Soundwave's eyes were originally yellow, mind you. And Grimlock's were red.

17. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

You guys forget that in Knight Rider, KITT had red scanner "eyes" and KARR had yellow scanner. Yellow scanner looked so bad-ass when they showed it at night.

Didn't Shockwave had a yellow eye?

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well at least MP Grimlock has both Red and Blue.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I c wat u did ther

20. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Yes. Yes he did.