Blue Dragon, Anyone Get It?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by The_Bardock, Sep 2, 2007.

1. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

So did anyone pick up Blue Dragon last week? What are your impressions?
    My 360 is currently being repaired, but when it gets back I think i'm gonna check it out.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked it up-- and I want to play it... only, I also bought Bioshock, and I wanted to beat that first, and well, I can't believe how many people are talking about beating Bioshock- they must have really rushed through it or played it nonstop, because everytime I think I've beaten it, there is another area to go to. I am not mad that it's long, but I really want to dive into Blue Dragon. When I do, which may be tonight, I will post something more substantial about it.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

^ Same here , but hav'nt bought Bioshock yet. Played the demos to both games and Im pretty pumped.

4. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Im playing it...about 10 hours into it...its OK. I was a litte weary after reading the initial reviews, they aren't too good, but I was in the mood for a new RPG so I picked it up anyway.

Unfortunately so far I am agreeing with the reviews that (so far) its pretty boring storywise. I am hoping it does pick up though.

5. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I tried the demo and was not impressed. Just seems like a very regular and bland RPG.

6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I noticed an ad for it last night. I couldn't help but be reminded of this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Spirit

:dj 

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Ok, so, I am pretty much just at the world map and fought a few enemies. Now, initially, this had some design aspects that just didn't agree with me. I am not crazy about playing as spunky kids, especially with these bland, reused Akira Toriyama character templates. And being an RPG in general makes it hard to for me to put the time into it that is needed.

So, I was weary to, but what made me buy it was two things: Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu. I love most of the FF games and would easily say Nobuo Uematsu composes my favorite music. Now, it's too early for me to me to judge the games story, so I'm not too sure if H.S. is back in top form (he hasn't made a story fo the FF games since 5 or 6, he was just the producer of 7-11), but so far I can hear a lot of FF nods in the music, and that's a good thing. It isn't quite on par so far with a traditional FF in terms of the music's melodies, but it's still very good. I want to say that's enough to keep me playing all the way through, but if it is too plodding in the story department, and the character development is lacking, then I won't play all the way through.

Otherwise, you should know going in that it is VERY traditional. Turn-based battles, tapping the search button against everything hoping to find gold or items, HP, XP, SP (skill points), and leveling up. I DO like the little additions they made to traveling the world map. You see your enemys, so it isn't random, but on the world map, if there are multiple enemys, you can select the area around you and if they are within that area, you can fight which group you choose, or opt' to fight all of them.

Visually, the game is very good and don't really get justice from still screens. The graphics are very cartoony but very crisp and charming.

Oh well, there is my 1 hour into it impressions. Hope it helps.

8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

was really looking forward to this. The demo was ok. Then the reviews came and the reports of a boring story, which is a fatal flaw for RPGs. Now I think I'll just rent it. Looking forward to Eternal Sonata. I liked the demo, but have also read reviews saying the story isn't that great. I'll have to rent that one too. I rarely buy games anymore.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

hmmm...Blue Dragon was the reason i was planning on picking up the 360...but with the not so good reviews so far...i guess i'll pass on both.

Maybe i'll see how Eternal Sonata goes.

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well, if you were looking for a japanese feeling RPG, then look no further. I also wouldn't doubt that Mistwalkers future releases will be leagues better. Microsoft probably had a lot of influence on Blue Dragon, trying to make it a "by-the-books' RPG to attract japanese fans and probably had Mistwalker rush it out the door. Lost Oddysey is looking great though.

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

H.S. has always been somewhat hit and miss to me. FF I and V's story are both rather bland, while IV, and VI are much better. II was a different producer and III was average.

Sounds like Blue is another bland.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I was going to buy it at first sight.

I played the demo and liked every part of it except the way all the characters would "walk into" and "walk out of" Shu. Come on! It's 2007 -not 1987.
    But seriously, I liked everything else about the game including the Toriyama designs.

Then I downloaded the Stranglehold demo and my interest in that game surged. Then I downloaded the Bioshock demo and that blew away my expectations.
    Then I bought in on the Metroid hype for the Wii -and rightfully so.
    So, I ended up bying Bioshock and Metroid and I currently don't have the money or the time for Blue Dragon.

I hate it that so many publishers release games in the fourth quarter.
    I understand the business model -that's when the sales are.
    But, in some cases it can hurt. Blue Dragon is a game that just needed to be localized. If Microsoft had released it just a couple of weeks earlier I would have bought it.

By the time I am done with the games I am currently playing, Eternal Sonata will be out. I may end up not playing this at all.

One other note is that I hate it that all the reviews compared this game to Final Fantasy. While I can understand the connection based on the game's designers, the game itself does not seem to be trying to be Final Fantasy at all.

Lost Odyssey seems to share its design with Final Fantasy more if you ask me.

13. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I've got it, and I enjoy it :)  Pretty fun. Although a blatant rip off of Final Fantasy!

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    How so?
    Is there a protagonist with decidedly soft features for a man who has a name based on some type of storm or weather pattern?
    Is the protagonist's past linked to main villain's past?
    Did they train in the military together?
    Do you collect Materia in this game?

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:

Wow did you only ever play 7 and 8? The whole structure is similar to an older FF game in terms of gameplay.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Since FF 7, they have pretty much all had the aspects I hit upon except for FF 9.

I honestly can't see how one can claim this game that came out in 2007 is a ripoff of a game that came out in 1995.
    Maybe that is just me.

17. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Any game that comes out, and is called a ripoff, has to be ripping off something from the past. All the FF's have different storylines, but most of them have a lot of staples that the series brought into mainstream gaming. It's the control and combat and world setup that BD takes from the earlier FF's. And no, the things you mentioned, besides soft features for the main character, were exclusive to one or two games.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Better point about ripoffs: A creator cannot rip off his own work.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I wish I had been smart enough to think about that.

20. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Ok then, let's dig into the terminology if you will- it isn't ripping off, just copying.
    (and yes, you can copy yourself)

Note: Also, I had stated previously in this very thread that the reason I got BD is because I WANTED something that echoed H.S.