Blu-ray what? HD-DVD who?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kronos, Aug 28, 2007.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/23/mempiles-teradisc-fits-1tb-on-a-single-optical-disc/

"We've heard a lot of talk about the death of optical media, but for inexpensive high-capacity storage, it's pretty hard to beat -- which is why the TeraDisc, from Israel's Mempile, look like it has such promise. Eschewing the reflectivity principles in current optical media entirely, the TeraDisc system uses light-sensitive molecules called chromophores to create hologram-like matrices that can be used to store a full terabyte of data on a single disc using a red laser -- and Mempile says that an eventual transition to a blue laser system will enable storage capacities of up to 5TB. The company is hoping to get a prototype ready in 18 months, and plans to ship the first version a year after that, priced around $3,000 for the drive and $30-60 for a 600GB disc. No word on the price of those 1TB discs, but you can bet they won't be cheap."

Thats crazy!

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a techincal guy but based on the above news, should I buy a PS3? I'm curious if Blu-ray development will continue to be supported?

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you think the battle between Blu-ray and HD DVD is bad, then the one for the dominant holographic format is going to be even worse. There are about 4-5 companies working on different technologies. Mempile seems to be the cheapest, but they've got a long ways to go before they ship an actual product. Most likely, it will never see the light of day.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Man! I miss the days of Betamax VS VHS.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

So will that play a whole movie on my 9080p SuperHDTV?

Where we are at right now with consumer TVs, Bluray and HDDVD are enough. I wish companies would instead make a disc that can hold Bluray, HDDVD, and DVD so that way we can get all 3 formats on a single disc and play any movie on any player.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Don't we all? The Formt War is getting very old and has a while to go still. :( 

7. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I thought I read somewhere they were developing discs that had blu ray on one side and hd-dvd on the other.

8. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    best i've heard is a player that plays both formats, no dual-format discs though.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the technology sure is impressive...it would be 5-10 years before something like this ever hit the mainstream.

10. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, they've got Hybrid discs in the works.

But that doesn't help determine a winner in the format war... If anything, it'll just prolong it even more.

11. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Yeah I've seen the player, LG had one of the first ones. They still cost $900+

It's nice to have both formats on one disc if all movies were released that way but no go. Some companies release on both (thank you), some decide on just 1.

12. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Plus, a tri-format disc will cost a fortune. Think $40-$50. It ain't going to happen anytime soon so you can just kiss that idea goodbye. Dual-players are the more likely option if you do not want to pick a side. They cost a little under $1000 now. Which isn't horrible. But its still cheaper to buy both players separately.

With the Paramount/Dreamworks fiasco, I think the format war will last another few years. Unless Warner Bros goes Blu-ray exclusive, then it will be alot sooner. If they go HD exclusive, well the Studios will be split and then I don't see it ever ending. But I personally believe no matter what in about 1-2 years blu-ray will be the clear cut winner and the only HD format out there on optical media. But I guess time will tell.

Oh, on a side note I own a PS3 and I am loving Blu-ray.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I honestly see a dual format future this generation.

There are two many players choosing sides for reasons that do not benefit the consumer, and even if HD-DVD turns things around and gains market share (which is unlikely), I promise you Sony will never abandon the Blu-ray format and none of Sony's various studios will ever put out a movie on HD-DVD.

As to the price of the TeraDisc media, I inferred that those high prices are based on today's market. They will probably be lower -though comparatively expensive when they come out on the market.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Bend over, consumer, here it comes again :3

15. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Very, very true. Sony/Disney/Fox will never abandon blu-ray. So it is hear to stay. We may have to live with 2 formats. But I doubt it. HD-DVD could still be put out of its misery. Its all up to WB at this point. If they tip the scale to blu-ray the war will be over by next year. Lets hope they do, because I just want one bloody format.

16. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    their will be one winner! but in the mean time were all losers! its a shame they make people decide. BUT most consumers dont see a need to upgrade yet. so this will be a long war. DVD is still tops for most! and with upconverters around, its not nessicery to upgrade yet! Just a waste of money right now!

17. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Our DVD player with 2.1 Surround broke last week when a DVD player got stuck inside. We bought it last November with the Best Buy Extended Service Plan. I took it to Best Buy and they mailed it to Phillips. Phillips said it they could not repair the player or get the DVD out without damage to the unit, so Best Buy told me to grab another system off the shelves or something similar for the same price. They did not have another 2.1 Home Theather system for $299 so I grabbed a Toshiba A2 HD-DVD Player to go with our 26 inch Sharp Flat Screen (720p). :) 

I have not watched an HD-DVD yet, but I got some on the way in the mail from Blockbuster.com. Looks the TF Movie will be my 1st HD-DVD purchase.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

5 terabytes?

Mother of God.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I thought Blockbuster decided to only offer Blu-ray.

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Format wars bring out my harshest, deepest, darkest senses of schadenfreude. HD is my current choice simply because it's the least expensive to go for if I choose to. :lol