Blu Ray review thread?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by tikgnat, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Didn't we used to have one? I can't seem to find it.

Anyway I wanted everyone to share their thoughts on their recent Blu Ray purchases... I'll start.

Conan the Barbarian (1982, UK disc)

I bouught this when I saw it, because Conan the Barbarian is probably my favourite film of all time. The film transfer was super crisp (as good as it's ever going to get at any rate) and as far as I could tell, not a lot of filtering to ruin the film.

It had the extra scene in it, just after the Princess tells Conan 'He will kill you! He has seen your fires and he will come!' where Conan and Subotai have a discussion about the upcoming battle.

Problem is, it cut the final battle of the mounds, specifically the parts which involve horses... basically back in the 80's animal rights activists thought horses had actually been killed during filming. Of course they weren't, but it looks pretty damn visceral. But in the UK they actually cut the sequences where horses throw their riders, or where Conan chops horses feet out from under them, or horses roll down hills through rubber pungee sticks. The minor cuts are bad enough, but when these cuts totally jar the films epic Basil Poledouris score, that was it.

I returned the disc (and didn't check any extras because of this) and ordered Conan the Barbarian from AMERICA!

Conan the Barbarian (1982, US disc)

I was mildly concerned that this disc wouldn't play in my BD player, I didn't have the forethought to check... but it worked fine.

Picture quality on this disc is identical to the UK disc that I returned, so I watched this one all the way though, and weirdly that extra scene with Subotai/Conan isn't there anymore, but wanton horse cruelty is. So the US version is basically how the old film used to be, all in shiny HD.

Extras are quite nice, the standard extras which have been used in all the previous Conan DVD's are included (ie the same deleted scenes, same documentaries etc) but the BD has a couple of exclusives, some old 80's interviews which were previously unreleased (interviews of cast and director during filming, and after release) whch are really interesting. The other extra is a look at how replica swords are manufactured at... Albion Armorers? I think that was their name? Anyway it was a neat look into the materials and techniques that the replica sword company uses.

All in all, the US disc is fantastic. My only quibble is why that Subotai/Conan scene is excised completely... I mean its bluray, surely it could have been included as a branch, or even in the deleted scenes? Very odd. But I'm quite happy without it, it detracts from the film just at that point, especially since it was never originally included there is no score for that part either.

Once I get through them I'll review Star Wars: George Lucas steals more of my money!

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, people could always use this to review blu-rays. Quality of transfer, features, audio as opposed to just the movie itself.