Blu-Ray issues on PC OS Windows XP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by benben2142, Oct 14, 2008.

1. benben2142

benben2142 Well-Known Member

Hey, I recentley bought iron man on blu ray, and I want to play it on my PC OS Windows XP and my PC is Blu ray compatible. I've tried playing it on power dvd and it told me to update, done that then it sai download patch and click run instead of save, so I do that then it keeps asking same question, so can someone provide me with a decent program that plays blu ray. Sent me a link if possible.. thanks!

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Even though your PC has a Blu-Ray drive, playing Blu-Ray movies on a PC is rarely ever simple. Windows XP, from what I believe, can have a rough time playing films on Blu-Ray. Make sure your videocard supports HDPC, then make sure your connection to your monitor is either via DVI or HDMI. I believe that a simple VGA connection will not allow for Blu-Ray playback.

3. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

4. benben2142

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm sure you mean are there any full LEGAL editions of Cyberlink PowerDVD that are free? The answer is no.

6. benben2142

Is there any other programs that an play blu ray? Can windows media player?

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Windows Media Player can not. To my knowledge, there are no freeware Blu-Ray video players for the PC. It's either PowerDVD or pretty much nothing else. And you will still need to make sure your pc and video card are HDCP compliant. And then you need to make sure your PC is connected to a monitor via HDMI or DVI.

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, I keep putting band-aids on my system holding out until blu-ray is stable and native within Vista media center. They are really dragging their feet with HD.

Just read the requirements, Blu-ray doesn't play on 720p? BAHH. I'll need a new projector. Mine does 1080i now, but vista looks like shit.

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

If the PC came with a BD-ROM, then it came with the playback software.
    If that isn't working for you, then you're not doing something right, or it hasn't been set up correctly.

If it's a laptop, the display is automatically HDCP compliant. (I ran a program that checks that for you.)

If it's an external monitor, as mentioned earlier, then you need HDCP confirmation. (Though, if you bought the PC as a package deal, and it has Blu-Ray preinstalled, the included monitor would be HDCP compliant. No big box company would screw you like that.)

Here's the link to the program I used. It should still be available for download...

CyberLink Blu-ray Disc Support You'll need to give them your email address to download it, but it does work.

And if you get a red or yellow indicator when it comes to your graphics card, it doesn't automatically mean that it's non HDCP compliant. It might need a simple driver update. If you card can't reproduce anything above 720p (1280 x 800- 1366 x 768(most LCD TVs on the market right now.) are the resolutions) then it will automatically fail.

I upgraded my video drivers, and now it's capable of displaying 2048 x 1546. I ran the adviser again, and voilĂ ! I had green indicators across the board.

Give it a shot, should help you quite a bit.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

BTW: kinda related, but does anyone know of an external BD drive (USB? Firewire?) which can play BR movies on PC in Vista (and if possible, OS X). I would like to watch some movies on my laptop (and desktop) which does not have a built in BD drive.

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Newegg.com - LG Black/White 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache USB External Blu-ray Burner External 6X Blu-ray Disc Rewriter Model BE06LU11 - Blu-Ray Burners
    External drive.
    Newegg.com - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 2X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 16X CD-ROM SATA Slim Internal 2X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model BC-5500S - Blu-Ray Drives Laptop drive.
    Newegg.com - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 2X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 16X CD-ROM E-IDE/ATAPI Slim Internal 2X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model BC-5500A - Blu-Ray Drives
    Laptop drive.

All expensive, but they'll do what you're asking for. Replacing a laptop's drive is easy.