Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaScourge, Jun 26, 2006.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

ok, i have a few questions:

i know when Sony was trying to get the Beta to be propular, they was also making tapes for the VHS (correct me if i'm wrong)

so i was wondering: will Sony and company (ie. the BR Crew) be making movies for the HD-DVD and vice versa???

and has anyone bought the DVD/HD-DVD discs that so far i've only seen in Circuit City in Georgia...those would be cool cause you can watch the movie now and when you eventually get a HD-DVD Player, you can just flip the disc and watch it in HD. It was like $25-30...

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I dont believe sony has either announced plans to release HD movies on HD-DVD or to release an HD-DVD player. Only way they will is if Blu Ray fails.

I haven't bought a single DVD/HD-DVD 2 sided movie. I hope the blu ray guys end up doing something similar.

3. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I have to agree there. It would be useful for those who do not have HD or Blu-Ray players.

4. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

This shit gets more confusing every day.

I believe Toshiba or Sanyo are releasing a dual-format player this fall.

I believe I heard that the encoding for Bluray takes up a lot more space than HD. Seems like I read that the current discs are 40 gigs and they can't even fit all the special features from a reguar DVD on it, so they are trying to get it up to 70.

I'm just gonna have to see both formats, side by side to really make any decision.

I'm a serious movie buff, but honestly, I'll probably wait until one wins out and the prices drop way down.

Screw it. I'm happy with standard-def DVDs. These people need to dust off and watch some VHS for a while.

5. OmegaScourge

wasn't the HD-DVDs 40gb while the BR 50gbs...and i too am happy with current-gen DVDs seeing i have a tube tv

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^I myself am starving for HD content and have decided to stop buying dvds of movies or shows that can benefit from being released on an hd medium

Interesting I have never heard that before. The Blu-Ray standard requires support for Mpeg 2, h.264, and VC-1 the most space prohibitive format of these is mpeg 2 and apparently you can get about 2 hours on a 25gb disc, probably at 1080p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

7. OmegaScourge

i wonder how the quality looks on these DVD player that upconverts it to 1080(i or p, dunno which one though)....it cost as much as a regular DVD Player.

8. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Doesn't Shin Gouki have one of those upconverter DVD players?

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I do too, but the difference between those and true high def is considerable. However, I have a few thousand dollars invested in DVDs and won't be spending hundreds of dollars on any replacement player in the near future.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I hope the video stores have enough room for all these formats. Or vhs rentals are going to disappear and become todays 8track.

I love technology and it's advances, just hard to keep up with it all. I guess the winning solution these days is to have an HD compatible tv (with 1080i) and a PS3 (or any blue ray player).
    To get the best of both competitive worlds

11. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

My recomendation is to wait, even if it takes 5 years, for a winner in this battle.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I do too, but the difference between those and true high def is considerable. However, I have a few thousand dollars invested in DVDs and won't be spending hundreds of dollars on any replacement player in the near future.

13. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    It's way too soon for another DVD format, I hope both crash and burn.

14. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

There's something I've been wondering about HD and Blu-Ray. Are the new players going to play DVDs. I know you aren't going to be able to play HD/Blu-Rays on regular DVD players, but are the new ones going to be backwards compatible like most game systems are?

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^yes both have the option to be backwards compatible.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its down to individual studios to decide what formats they are going to produce for. Some have picked sides, some are releasing on both and some smaller outfits arn't getting involved yet. Regurdless of thier position now, they will all end up going where the money is once the market has chosen its path.

As far as hardware is concerned, both Sony and Toshiba have thier arses covered with production partnerships with somebody from the other camp.

Some manufacturers have dual format players in the works for later in the year, so you'll be better off waiting for those if you want to get in on the action before the format war is over.

17. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm sure they will go the way of the mini-disc.

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are supposedly some clauses in the licensing, preventing a dual format player. However, this hasn't prevented LG and Samsung from working on them.

I would wait until at least November when the PS3 finally ships. If Blu-ray doesn't dominate then, there's going to be a long drawn out battle.

There are more affordable alternatives coming from Taiwan and China that deliver HD video and in some cases greater capacity than BR and HD. Sadly, we'll probably never see them in the US due to their less restrictive copy protections. Damn you MPAA!

19. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I'm happy with my regular dvds. Not touching either one of these until they get a single format for next gen dvd..

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

None of those formats (VMD, DMD, FVD) hold more than blu-ray. HVD which holds a couple 100 GBs up to 3.9 TBs per disc is intended for archival and the readers for those discs cost like $15,000