Bloody Wink & Nod to TF '86 in TF:DotM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hazekiah, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    No, no, no...not Leanord Nimoy's bass-heavy throat-clots trying to stifle Megatron's voice AGAIN.

*ZING!*

I mean something DIFFERENT.

When the pilot of the Decepticon ship is yanked from the cockpit and ripped apart limb-from-limb as the Autobots announce their surprise attack (wait, WAT?!?), it's seemingly a subtle reference to the scene from the Transformers '86 animated movie script/storyboards and the Marvel Comics TF:TM adaptation; where Ultra Magnus is drawn-and-quartered by the Sweeps in his death scene, which was changed to him simply exploding under fire in the finished film...for whatever reason.

I guess the Marvel/TF fan in me is just glad that the movies finally got their dismemberment kicks, too.

>:) 

For that matter, I'm glad it was the Wreckers who did it too. They didn't get to do much, but what they DID do was suitably savage, at least!

That's all.

I just haven't seen any of that mentioned anywhere and thought SOMEONE should point it out.

:p 

2. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Couldn't find it online but I still have my issue of the Marvel Comics adaptation of TF '86 handy, so I went ahead and scanned it in for anyone who's not sure wtf I'm talking about in here.

http://tiny.cc/Ultra_Magnus_Dismembered

The anti-climatic demise of Ultra Magnus - YouTube

I'm pretty sure there were storyboards for the original scene in the bonus features of at least one of the DVD releases, too.

If anyone can find video of that online then feel free to share!

Same goes for any clips of The Wreckers and THEIR dismemberment scene from THIS movie, of course.

The more the merrier!

:) 

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    there is no connection there, that scene was jsut there to make the movie wreckers look like a badass, there was no reference at all, you are seriously overthinking these movies and trying to draw connections to things where there is none

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Your opinion is duly noted.

The fact remains, however, that they've been trying to "draw & quarter" Transformers on film since 1986 and only finally succeeded in doing so with this movie.

Considering how well Ehren Kruger and Co. evidently know their TF-history, I don't really think it's out of the question to speculate that the scene may well have been included as an acknowledgement of that fact.

5. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

oh yeah? well what about jazzs slide and jump onto brawl in the 07 movie and kups jump onto blitzwing in the 86? and what about the megatron helping optimus at the end of the film that mirrors ultra magnus helping optimus against shockwave in the dreamwave comics. really you and about 5 other people are looking to deeply into these sorts of things when their are far larger concidences that are more likey to be references than these

6. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

:trolls: 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's actually a reference to when the Wreckers ruined Bitzwing in the Marvel comics, complete with Leadfoot aping Twin Twist holding a severed head.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Funniest fucking statement I've heard all day.

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    What?!? The Jazz/Kup thing at least is blatantly obvious. I'd never in a million years suggest otherwise. Doesn't mean THIS can't be one, too.

^ Fantastic post! Thanks for the contribution, that's great! Even after all these years I've still only caught up with a handful of the U.K. stories here and there, so that's definitely new to me and very interesting.

My point still stands about the two films as well, however.

:) 

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    :lolol  agreed.

:wtf:  While I've only been on the boards a relatively short time, this is probably the strangest thing I've yet read here.

Were you bored at home on a rainy day and the Internet was out when you came up with all these bizzare theories?

11. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

:lolol 

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Uh, guys, correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't the core plot of this third film weave together no fewer than three separate major storylines from the original cartoon, feature Spike's seldom seen G1 girlfriend/wife, and include not only The Wreckers but also their little-known spaceship by name?!?

Yeah...that's what I thought.

:p 

THAT'S the strangest thing you've read here so far...?!?

Surrrre.

And, no, I was watching a Transformers movie where they DO graphically draw & quarter a Transformer right before our eyes and remembered the first time I watched a Transformers movie and noticed that the planned, scripted, and storyboarded graphic drawing & quartering of Ultra Magnus had been censored and removed from the finished product.

It doesn't seem particularly bizarre to me that someone who worked on the film might get as much of a kick out of finally making that happen as I did finally seeing it happen.