Blockbuster vs. flop

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Noisemaze2006, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

How much money does the movie have to make in order to be considered a flop or a blockbuster?

2. Uncle Servo

Uncle Servo Active Member

Don't know for sure, but I believe that a movie has to make roughly 3x its cost in order to pull a profit. If it doesn't do that, or otherwise fails revenue expectations considerably, then I personally would say that qualifies as a flop.

Something tells me we don't have to worry about TF being a flop though. ;) 

3. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    AFAIK, a simple way of looking at it is that if the US box-office gross is higher than the production cost, it is a success. Foreign box-office, DVD, TV, licensing and merchandise provide a lot of additional revenue.

Films that are considered box-office flops make considerably less than production costs.

Critical success/flop depends entirely on the percentage of good/bad reviews in the press.

It looks like Transformers can already be considered a box-office success. It appears to have grossed more than production cost.

Edit: Whilst reading Wikipedia's entry on Box Office Bombs, was greatly amused by these two tales of supreme floppery:

4. MovieGod

MovieGod Please hand me that piano

It has to make considerably more than its production cost. TF for example cost about $150 million to make and its pulled in $165M domestically as of Sunday with an additional $97M from foreign markets. Even if the numbers erode quickly (which I doubt they will) the movie will easily reach $200-250M from US ticket sales alone which would definitely put it in the blockbuster category.

Edit:
    Not really...and this is where things get strange. The horrendous Devlin-Emmerich GODZILLA for example made $136M domestically which is about $6M more than its production cost. The media savaged the movie saying that it was a "box office failure". It just seems that according to most media outlets breaking even isnt good enough. Whats even more bizarre (and this just might just be the result of lazy reporting) is that movies considered "box office failures" quite often do quite well worldwide. GODZILLAs overseas take was $242M which brought its total cume to $398M...but most people still remember the movie as a failure. (Although I guess it didnt help that the movie was a total piece of garbage.) So what it comes down to is perception...actual figures only have so much impact on whether a movie is considered a flop or not.

5. Uncle Servo

Uncle Servo Active Member

I would love to see the numbers on licensing and merchandise already... and Prime only knows what the DVD revenue's going to be (though I think the words 'metric crapload' would be in order on all counts).

6. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

here's an interesting,and similar,if off-topic question:
    i hear that movies take longer to hit dvd based on how much they make in theatres.apparently,the less it makes,the less time it takes to drop on dvd,because the studios want to hurry and make up their losses on the flops by getting them on disc sooner.
    as such, my contact at suncoast--overpriced,but usually very much up on release dates--predicts spidey 3 to hit disc just before xmas.
    anyone heard of this logic?
    if it's true,i bet tf hits 'round xmas too--if nothing else hasbro will be able to push xmas toys that much harder...

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

SPIDER-MAN 3 is out on Region 2 on 15th October... Very quick!

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hits take longer to come to DVD since they will be in theaters much longer than flops. Besides normal theaters, there are the $1 theaters. So Transformers could easily be in various theaters 3-4 months before it is gone for good. Get every $$ they can. I'd expect the majority of summer hits (Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Transformers, Harry Potter 5, etc) to be on DVD before Thansgiving so they can be gifts for the holidays.

A flop movie could be out of theaters in a month or so. Get it on DVD ASAP before people loose any memories they have of it existing. This way, some of the theatrical marketing might still be remembered so people might pick it up.

9. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

thanx for the input on the dvd thing,despite it being off-topic.i heard about spidey just as it left theatres.hope we see the tf dvd as quickly.

10. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    transformers is already a blockbuster / box office success

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All of this is true unless you incoorporate Phazer Logic. :D 

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't know what qualifies as a Blockbuster, but Transformers is deffinatly not a flop.

13. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

It still has yet to be released in 3 of the 4 worlds major economies(US, Japan, Germany, UK).

14. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:

Here in Sweden, the DVD is set to be released late november. It will probably be released sooner than that in the US since they're terribly slow at doing DVD releases over here... I remember when Judge Dredd came. It took 1.5 years from cinema to home release...

15. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Holy crap, a movie that made only $30? I read that it only made $300,000 in all, so that might be the biggest flop ever, compared to the 1.2mil put into creating it

16. Michael_Prime_2K7

Michael_Prime_2K7 The Crafty One

A little tidbit for you all.

In 1996 I saw ID4 on its opening day. And saw it several times after. The last time I saw it in the theater was the 2nd week of November in 1996. Not less than 2 weeks later it was being sold on VHS... Anyone remember VHS ?? LoL
    :) 

17. cptpain

cptpain Well-Known Member

normally the general consenus is that after a movie is no longer screened at theatres it will take around 6 months to release on hd/dvd/bd and sometimes shorter.

300 came out just 3 months after it left theatres, and i forgot which movie it was but it was really good IMHO and it was on dvd 2 months later, but then again, the menu was crap and didnt have much extras.

it took almost an entire year for Matrix 2 to release on dvd because of #1 wasnt started until after dvd player sales rose.
    and took 8 months for Fast and furious 1(god help us that movie sucked, but not as bad as #2)

18. VehiconTypeRID

VehiconTypeRID Active Member

I expect it out for Christmas along with news about the next movie's script as well. I hope they finally get all of G1 re-released from Sony into the market, I'm also eager to get all of the Japanese Versions (this is taking way too long) as well. Waiting for them to get things released seems a lot better than waiting for Matt Groening to get the Simpsons released in a timely matter. It takes them a long time from one DVD set to another.

19. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

I've heard that a film has to take in roughly twice it's production budget to break even.

As for blockbuster status, there's actually a definition for it.. any film that breaks $100M is considered a blockbuster, regardless of whether it actually breaks even. That's a pretty old estimate, though, and should probably be updated to counter inflation. Personally, I'd vote for a number closer to $150M. I think they also factor in the time it takes to hit that number. A mediocre film that takes three months to hit $100M, I wouldn't call a blockbuster. A film that does it in a week? Oh yeah.

20. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    i'm surprised that anyone can put Transformers and flop in the same sentence. The fanbase started from the 80s. Its as big as Star Wars