blockbuster total access changing....:(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, Aug 20, 2007.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi everyone. I know a while back that there was a topic about bb's total access vs. netflix. For a lot of us posting, we picked bb. Well, that changed this morning. Right now I've got a plan that $15 a month, 2 movies at a time, as many as I can get, unlimited in store exchanges, and 1 free in store a month. That plan is now dead. Now, for the same price, I still get my 2 at a time unlimited, but only 3 instore exchanges a month. That cuts me out of 6 to 8 movies a month. If I want to keep almost the equivalent package, it's $22 a month. I just got screwed. Think it may be time to go back to Netflix.

Oh, they give bb access members in store rentals for $2 now. Whoopee!
    (smiley flipping bird) for BB.

Anyone else getting the shaft?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Nope, because I have netflix - they just lowered prices on all plans, and the changes are good for existing members too.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Blockbuster is just an incredibly stupid company.

"Our competition is lowering their prices. How should we respond? Let's RAISE our prices by $7 a month, while at the same time taking features away from our plans! It's gold!"

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Netflix ftw. Haven't been to BB in a long time and don't plan on going back.

5. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

Shoot the Blockbusters in my area don't participate in any of the promotions that are advertised. Plus I don't even rent movies enough to use this to my benefit. Can you rent games with that program too?

6. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Well, as of today, I'm a Netflix customer again. The only reason that I switched in the first place was because I could trade movies instore and double what I was getting a month plus 1 free game a month. Now, it's limited to 3 instores and no game. I've gone back to Netflix. They've got a better selection in the catagories I watch anyway.

7. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I was not happy when my mom cancelled our Netflix account to give this a try.

Needless to say, I'm even more pissed.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

QFT. I have always preferred Netflix over BB. No contest.

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Blockbuster is losing money hand over fist because of its return in-store option.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Remember all the people saying that when Blockbuster started doing this whole in-store-return thing it would put Netflix out of business? Where are all of those folks at right now?

For what it's worth, we didn't drop Netflix because they've always been good to us. And here we are only a few short months later and our prices are lower for the same plan we always had while Blockbuster's prices are going up, and features are dropping.

Oh, and Netflix in the meantime has added the feature that you can watch up to fifteen hours a month of online movies or television shows from them. Which, for our purposes, just as well be unlimited.

Thank you Netflix.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fortunately, Netflix kicks so much ass they saved your queue for you. So it'll be waiting, and they won't judge you for coming back to them.
    Absolutely. I've said this before, but I'll say it again here. Netflix sent me DVDs in Iraq and Afghanistan. They have my customer loyalty for life.

And when prices dropped and Watch Now debuted, they proved they deserved it. Blockbuster bragged about having in-store exchanges--hell, with Watch Now, I don't even have to get off my ass to catch a movie in between mailings.

I figured BB would screw it up--they've made so many missteps business-wise in the last few years it would have been out of character for them not to this time.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  12. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

that's only for the $15 plan, how many hours of movies now u can watch is baised on how much your plan is. i only have the one movie at a time unlimited($8), so i only get 8 hours. not complaining just saying, i love netflix, and am thinking of upgrading to 2 movies unlimited since the price drop!

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Blockbuster is famous for changing it's policy and pricing after 1/2 a year when they think they now have their customer base hooked. And it always goes up never down. That's why I stopped going there.

14. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I switched to Netflix many years ago and have never looked back. The wide selection range does it for me, mostly. I had to tone back my plan to one-out since I was spending so much time watching movies. But my queue is still around 500 movies, more if I put all of the TV series stuff in.

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I got an email telling me they were changing their policies but that it would only affect new customers and as long as my account was kept up, things wouldn't change for me.

That said, I'm seriously planning on dropping them anyway. BB sucks for HD content. I've waited over a year for some movies. Their in store selection is miniscule and every store has the EXACT same selection. They carry lots of little shit movies that nobody gives a rats ass about and some of the more popular movies they don't have even one copy of. Of course that applies to normal DVDs too. I noticed last night they have a wall for Redline, and less than one shelf (about 5 spots) for TMNT. Every single movie in my queue has at best "Very Long Wait." Half of them are listed as "Coming Soon" even thought they've been released for many months now.

I think it's time to return to Netflix...if only they had games too.

16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    It should be noted that Netflix isn't doing that great right now either. BB has been aggressive in its plot to take down Netflix, and it is working. Unfortunately it is more like a kamikaze mission.

17. Night Flame

Netflix lost some ground monetarily, but they're still treating their customers pretty darned good in comparison with any of the competition.

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Right, they are. However, remember when their site was down the other week? Panic ensued and stocks dropped. Numerous articles have popped up on this ugly war. Don't be surprised if Netflix folds. As unfortunate as that would be.

19. Night Flame

I don't really see Netflix folding. At least not in the next ten months or so. Yeah, they were down for a day and stocks dropped, but considering the overall stock market at the moment, they're actually doing OK yet.

I'd hate it if Netflix folded. And while that's a possibility, I don't think their first minor setback is going to be enough to do them in.

20. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I didn't realize BB plans have changed? I just have the $5.00 a month, get two months, return them and get two more. Blockbuster as a business doesn't make any sense.