Blockbuster to favor Blu-ray HD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaScourge, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I for one certainly won't be downloading my movies from the net. I want a hard copy of what I own. And I don't want to have to download special features and all that separately, if they'd even bother with that stuff if it was all downloaded.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

well...there are sites that you can d/l the entire .ISO image of a DVD...all 8+ gb of it.

there are time that i would rip the entire DVD onto my Laptop's HDD so i can watch everything...and the reason i rip it to the HDD is to save battery (using the DVD drive uses the battery way too fast)

3. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

People like me huh? I NEVER got a phone call and I got a notice from a collection agency demanding payment. This was not from Blockbuster as they had already turned it over. To answer your stupid question: NO, it's not hard to pay the late fee and I would have the very next time I rented just like I always did. Just so happened that this time I hadn't been back in to rent in a while. Say what you want, my credit report claims otherwise. I was not the only person in my immediate circle this happened to either.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Yeah, over what bandwidth will I be able to download my 30GB HD movies with?

Also, I like owning physical copies of my movies.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

While im sure it will be more and more of an option as things go on but 15/24/30/50 GBs downloads, for each title is not attractive even if you have 5MBps service optical media is here to stay for atleast another decade and a half.

6. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

You don't have to return the videos to the store, you can just put them in your mailbox (or anyones mailbox) and they get shipped back. The nice thing about returning them to the store (on my way to bw3s for 35 cent wings on tuesday night) is you can pick up 2 dvds right away and once the dvds get returned to the store their status gets changed to returned which sends out your dvds. With netflix, when you send them back it takes the 2-3 days to get there to set the status to received/returned and then they sent out the next dvds which will take another 2-3 days.

Blockbuster FTMFWOMGBBQ!

And I've used netflix, back when it started. At first the dvds were pretty quick but after awhile I swear they would hold the dvds or slow them down.

7. Cheetatron

Err that was answered already...

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So you CAN mail back the DVDs you pick up at the store with blockbuster?

If that's true, and the price is right, I may look into it. I have no issue with netflix turn-around times (I mail one in and get the next in 2-3 days tops), but the instant gratification I can get with a store picked, mailable copy may swing me.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I knew Disney was supporting Blu-ray, but I didn't realize they were exclusive. That is a blow to HD DVD. While Universal has some good properties, Disney has the entire Pixar collection, and Pirates.

10. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    And, uh, their Disney movies.

11. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

[​IMG]

No, let me try to explain this. They send you two DVDs in the mail. You watch those two dvds and then are finished with them. You then go to the store drop off the two (mailed) DVDs in the store, they will credit you two free rentals from the store (meaning in their plastic box), they also mark the two (mailed) DVDs as received (or returned). Then that triggers two new (mailed) dvds to be shipped to your house. You then watch the two (store boxed) dvds, then the mailed ones come the 3 days later and you watch those. You then take the four (two mailed and two store boxed) dvds back to the store to receive two new (store) boxed dvds. Then of course when you drop off those four dvds they mark the two mailed dvds as received, credit you the two free rentals and send you the next 2 dvds on your list.

Hope that helps.

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Well that seemed obvious.

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    :D  I guess. I don't believe they have any of their classically animated movies out on Blu-ray yet. Maybe they do but I don't ever recall seeing any in the store.

14. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People have been saying this for years and it has yet to become a reality. When people want to watch a movie they want to do it now, not wait hours for it to download. Due to all the DRM, you're usually forced to watch it on your computer which is a huge PITA.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    That is a good point, I haven't seen any either. Probably down the road I guess. The Pixar films are big earners and suited for High Def.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So in other words, I was right. Any DVD you get from the store HAS TO GO BACK TO THE STORE - you can't mail back any ol' DVD. I HATE returning movies to the store (it's out of the way, I forget to do it, etc.), so making me physically return the store rentals ruins the whole perk of getting them from there.

That sucks, no thanks. I'll stick with Netflix.

17. Cheetatron

On the first page of this thread
    On the third page of this thread and no longer relevant because the question had been asked and aswered in the first page...
    Now granted I might be thick but your not making much sense. Are you saying you purpously answered a question that had already been long answered and done with? Whats the point of that exactly? post count bumping?

Back on topic: does anyone know if you can upgrade your store membership for use with this online program?