Blockbuster Online Vs. Gamefly

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Orion_Prime48, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    im wondering, if anyone here has used Blockbuster Online (for games not movies) before and if theyre any better than Gamefly? I have Gamefly currently but im over them, theyre too expensive and it takes way too long to actually get something from them. so is Blockbuster any better or faster than Gamefly? I know theyre quite a bit cheaper but beyond that...

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It depends on the shipping center locations for Blockbuster Online rentals. But be forewarned, I have seen some massive screw-ups on Blockbusters part when it comes to their deliveries and returns. The single biggest complaint is if you return a game to a store, rather than mailing it in, it can take days, and in some cases, weeks to have it removed from your queue.

EDIT:
    Here's the current list of shipping centers...

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Updated the above post with shipping center locations. You may also want to know that if you return a game/movie to the store and rent something out via the store, that game/movie MUST be returned to the same store and is subject to late fees. Keep that in mind when making your decision.

I currently use Gamefly. Once I got some pointers from members here, I was able to get the system to work how I wanted it. I've been much happier with it over the last 8 months than I was in the first 4.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What kind of Gamefly pointers are there? I've been considering signing up, I assumed it worked just like Netflix.

Blockbuster Online - I'm not touching anything Blockbuster with a shitty stick.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I signed up, I made the mistake of assuming they will simply send the next game in my game queue. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't always the case. I had put games low on my, rather large, list that I was interested in playing if nothing new was out. However, Gamefly was continually sending me games that were listed in my bottoms slots instead of my top 5 slots.

People informed me to keep only a handful of games in my queue. I did that, only keeping 5 current games in my queue. I now always get a game in my top 5 choices. In many cases, I get my top choice now. Example was I had Donkey Kong Country Returns in my top 5. Moved it to top spot, mailed current game back 3 days before release. Day of release, I get a message that I was getting DKCR sent out.

I know a lot of people who keep no more than 3 games in the queue, and it's really improved their experience.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Thanks, good to know.

7. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    well there are 3 shipping centers extremely close to m on that list.

and I do that trick with Gamefly as well but I still barely get anything I actually want, and even then it takes a week for them to get anything I send back and another week to get anything from them. on the other hand Netflix takes like 2 days total for return and new movies

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You should definitely take advantage of the Blockbuster 2-week free trial. If you find it isn't much better, or worse, than Gamefly, then you can simply cancel. Best case scenario is you find a good alternative to Gamefly. Worst case is you don't, but won't be out any cash.

9. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I've tried both, but kept neither subscription. The one caveat with Blockbuster is that they seem to have new games available three to four months following their street release.

10. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    yea.. I noticed that :redface2:  AC: Brotherhood and NFS Hot pursuit have been out for months but arent according to blockbuster

they still have soem games id like to play but dammit to hell I wanna play Hot pursuit and that new Monster Jam!

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I really love Gamefly. I've never tried BBO but I've got no reason to even check it out. Like the above poster wrote, you only need to keep 5 games max in your queue. I usually average a game a month, so that comes out to less that $20 a game vs. buying it for $60. The games I know will take a very long time (such as Fallout) I'll buy and stretch out over long periods of time. The others that I can play through quickly go through GF. Plus, you can sell them your old games for pretty decent credit towards your account.

12. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i do not have neither but some of my friends tried gamefly and the thing that sucks is you can not take 2 of the same game out. so those games that re MP but do not split screen, makes it hard to play MP if there is more that one console in the house or if you got a group together, you would need more than one account.

should be able to just pay a premium of sorts sort of like doing bluray with netflix to have multiple copies of one game out.

13. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    they cant really do that with games cause people would just hog them and people wanting it wouldnt be able to get it cause one person would have multiple copies of one game