3D Artwork: Blitzwing and physically possible transformations

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Dark_T_Zeratul, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Dark_T_Zeratul

Dark_T_Zeratul Well-Known Member

So I'm working on a 3D model of Blitzwing. Ideally, I would like it to be transformable. However, I've hit a bit of a snag: I can't conceive of any possible configuration for the arms/tank treads that could actually work. I've already decided that there would have to be four tank treads instead of two, but beyond that I'm hitting a ton of other snags. For starters, let's go by the toy's transformation, using a very simple model I whipped up specifically to test transformation workability:

http://www.antiochforever.com/wrongplot/3d/TankTest.PNG
    Tank mode. Everything looks fine here, at least at first glance. But then you look at the other forms, and, well...

http://www.antiochforever.com/wrongplot/3d/PlaneTest.PNG
    Plane mode. First: thinking about it realistically, either the tank treads are exposed or there's a big piece of metal covering them on the top (which would be the bottom in tank mode) and thus they couldn't actually work. In fact, even without covering the inner treads, we already have this problem in that the wings are attached to the outer treads in such a way that would make movement impossible for them. In addition, there's supposed to be a gun where the outer treads are, something which would require the treads to be hollow inside, again making it impossible for them to actually work. On the toy, this isn't an issue, since they DON'T actually work, but in real life this causes a very big problem.

http://www.antiochforever.com/wrongplot/3d/RobotTest.PNG
    Next robot mode. While I didn't actually add them in on the model, Blitzwing's arms are supposed to come out of the inner treads. The result of this, as with the toy, is that it is physically impossible for the shoulders to move in any direction but forward. Naturally, this makes his range of motion extraordinarily limiting (as well as having the aforementioned hollow treads problem). Obviously, this just won't do in the real world.

The comics and cartoon are no help, as they pretty much just relegate the treads to non-existence in robot and plane mode, something which, as I said, can't really be done in the real world. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful, as I'm somewhat unwilling to go on without knowing how I will be building this guy. To aid you all, here's a link to the most comprehensive gallery of toy pictures that I could find: http://www.seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php?id=158&size=0&start=0

2. weewoo

weewoo Veteran

instead of keeping the treads intact through the transformation, you could have them roll up into a coil in a similar way that those rolly garage doors roll up. you'd still have to figure out what to do with the wheely things in the middle that support the treads, but it'd allow you to fold sides and do stuff you otherwise couldnt?

3. Dark_T_Zeratul

That could get really complicated... Especially when it comes to the tread unrolling again. And you'd have to think that it would have to come apart at the same place every time, and probably need to be continuously attached to the same part that it would roll up around...
    I'm not necessarily looking to keep the EXACT same transformation - I'm open to variations. For instance, one thing I'd thought of was having the "outer" treads fold in alongisde where the nosecone would be, instead of up over the other set. The only problem that really leaves is where the arms could come from, given that the tread is taking up that space.

4. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

I thought of doing Blitzwing myself but ended up in the fetal position crying once I started to think about the mechanics of it all.

5. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

actually, you could have the front 2 wheels on each side slide up, and roll on top of the back 3 wheels. They would stay inside the treads, and they would move out of the way so they aren't cluttering anything up. They would just bulk up his back a little. Since his arms actually come OUT of the other set, this should work fine. Then, for the wings, the entire tread section (contracted for robot form) would fold over, creating a similar "thick winged" design to the original, but instead of an odd gap between the top and the bottom, there's tank treads.

6. Dark_T_Zeratul

I don't blame you. I was doing fine on the body, getting ready to start on the arms... I think I spent about thirty minutes just poring over pictures and trying to contemplate how it could possibly be done before giving up and asking here.

Again, doing anything that would change the shape/size of the treads would be extremely difficult to model. Remember, I'm actually going to be doing this in 3D; this has to be something that would, theoretically, be possible in a toy.

7. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

Maybe you could do two seperate models - tank/robot and plane/robot? Not the best solution, but maybe the only alternative.

8. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

I am well aware of how this would work in 3d. I can try and rig up a 3d example after the weekend is over if you still need it.

As far as something that would, theoretically, be possible in a toy, that's a different matter. I'm assuming the toy wouldn't have real treads then. However, you're placing a lot of restrictions on it. You have to realize that some compromises are bound to be made.

Could you perhaps reword what your requires are, in an ordered list? You want the treads to work, etc. We can then approach each portion of the problem in a more scientific way.

9. Dark_T_Zeratul

• The treads should be workable
    • It does not have to transform exactly like the toy does, but the end result shouldn't look too tremendously different, at least from the front
    • I've already realized that it will probably require using four sets of treads instead of two
    • I want to be able to have a single transformable model

And if you could rig up an example of how it could work in 3D, I would greatly appreciate it. Obviously it doesn't have to be anything fancy - see the example shots in my first post.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

A little help here,

Don't assume the treads are slack like a bicycle chain. With all the other parts that move and shift on a TF it's not that hard to imagine that the treads themselves are animated (like a multi segmented tenticle) This might give you a bit more freedom for them to wrap around objects.

One of my "rainy day" projects is going to be drawing Blitzwing with more pronounced Seeker elements, since he was suposedly 'experemented on' by Shockwave.

11. Trypitcon

Sweet!

12. Dark_T_Zeratul

OK... I think I've finally figured out how to do it, and without mucking around with the tank treads either. It will, however, have two seperate treads on each side as I mentioned before. So, without further ado...

I'll start off with the tank mode. It may not be totally clear, but the wings are now on the top of the treads in tank mode, and the treads aren't quite as wide anymore. But then, tank mode wasn't the one with issues, so we'll move onto the transformation.

It's basically the same as the toy's transformation from tank to plane. So that it can be physically possible, the front treads are going to extend outwards. The joint between them is hinged in two places, allowing it to bend realistically and without placing a hinge on top of the tank treads. And thus we get a working plane mode.

Finally, the transformation into robot mode. The major difference here is that the tank treads slide up instead of rotating around. The result of this is that the joint is on the top, allowing the arms to slide/rotate out of the outer treads. The wings rotate around so that they're angled in the right direction, and... Voila! A physically workable robot mode for Blitzwing.

Feel free to use this transformation for your own work (Trypticon, I'm looking at you -- I'd love to see what you can do with Blitzwing given a transformation that can actually be performed).

13. Trypitcon

:confused2  no pressure.

Yeah I'll get to him one of these days. Think I want to do a simpler character for my next project though. :D 

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

FYI, MTMTE #8 has a dissected Blitzwing with treads and all...

Works pretty well by that drawing.