Bleeding Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

In the last wonderful episode, Arcee sure bleed when Starscream slashed her. And Cliffjumper bleed a bit when he got stabbed in the heart. As did Tailgate when Airachnid ripped into him. However, when Starscream gets his arm blown off, nothing. No blood whatsoever. And when Wheeljack stabs a whole bunch of Cons, nothing again. And when Scraplets munch on the Bots, even though they stated they were bleeding badly, nothing was shown. Why such inconsistencies with this subject? And why is it that when Cliff gets stabbed in the heart of all places, he bleeds alot less then Arcee who gets a couple of slashes in her lower torso?

2. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I'd say it's just a matter of different transformers' circulatory systems being different than others. Transformers aren't like humans, they aren't the same body structure with few distinguishing features, each one is an entirely different being, as evidenced by the way each transforms differently and how some even have different structures, like humanoid vs animal-like, so little differences like that could be possible. Also, we don't know that transformers in Prime have hearts in the left side of their chest. Or if they have hearts at all. And I'm speaking of hearts like "Organ that distributes blood to the rest of the body," not as a spark.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because only certain cases required the imagery of blood. Had Arcee/Cliffjumper/Tailgate been wounded without the blood effect, we'd have little idea that such a wound is fatal/extremely damaging. Starscream's arm loss was mostly for comedic effect, and the Vehicons... well, I think it was obvious they won't be sending out any Christmas cards this year.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Starscream's arm was blown off by a laser blast, so you could use the lightsaber explanation and say that it instantly "cauterized" the wound, leaving no blood.

As for the Vehicons, it really depends on exactly how "alive" they are, if they are just drones with AI or actual Cybertronians with blood and a spark.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well, we know Vehicons have energon in them because Screamer drained one of his energon in Deus Ex Machina.

6. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Yeah, but didn't Silas, in "Crisscross", when wanting to cut into Arcee, say "aim for the heart" or something like that?

7. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is possible that Cons and Bots are made up differently internally therefore their wounds are pictured differently.

8. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I think that was just a human saying- and he did have Breakdown in his grasp earlier, so he probably knows the relative location of a Cybertronian's spark. He just doesn't call it a spark.

9. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Here's a not very well-known medical fact: when someone gets a massive fatal injury, they often don't bleed as much as you would expect. When the injury is fatal, the heart stops beating, and when blood isn't flowing it clots fast. The massive bleed-outs that some people experience happen because they're still alive and their hearts are actively pumping blood out of the wounds. There have actually been leaked photos of real trauma scenes that have been called fakes because there's very little blood despite the massive injury (decapitation, for example) and the viewers are expecting to see buckets everywhere.

This is what could have happened in Cliff's case. The wound Starscream gave him was almost instantly fatal, so his "heart" (whatever TFs have that pumps their fluids around) would have stopped. I don't know if robotic fluids could have any kind of clotting or shut-off mechanism, but if his robo-heart wasn't pumping it would limit how much energon seeped out.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I always thought when Starscream slash and made Cliffjumper bleed was the equvilent of someone reaching in and wanking out Cliffjumper's heart.

11. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only show Energon "blood" from an injury when it's dramatic. I can live with this explanation.

:sly:  I really hope that was a typo of some kind...

12. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I'm pretty sure they're not drones,they all seem to have different voices and show emotions when being killed with anything other than a blaster. They're just basicly redshirt footsoldiers

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    it was. meant to be yanking, you know ripping out.

14. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :thumbs2:  I figured that, lol. But changing that one letter left a rather disturbing image.

15. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

I think they are alive and not clones or drones, they just all have a standard issue body, like a military uniform

16. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

Agreed; though they do look identical, we've seen that the Eradicons are in fact alive when 'Screamer pulls the energon out of one of them (Frank from Legal ;)  ) and the Eradicon gasps and chokes rather painfully. In terms of showing one of them "bleeding" if you will, the audience isn't meant to get attached to them, Eradicons are literally a dime a dozen. As terrible as it sounds, only characters that the writers want the audience to form any kind of emotional attachment too will be shown "bleeding" or in any kind of pain.

Of course, I'm sticking to the "lightsaber theory" for 'Screamer's arm, and for the episode "Scraplets" I always figured they didn't want to depict massive amounts of energon being sprayed everywhere for two reasons: 1) it would be a little too gruesome for a kids show to have these main characters covered in the equivalent of blood and 2) that much energon would take way too much time to animate.

17. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

That's a good point! Liquids and other flowy things are time consuming to animate, so they might only use blood when it's vital to the plot or mood.

18. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

why thank you! :thumbs2:  It's all about sparing the sanity of TFP's animators, lol. But so far I think the animators and writers alike have done a good job of not over using images of the bots or cons "bleeding" everywhere. Keeping it to a minimum certainly does enhance the drama of the moments when and where it is used. Take for instance this last episode where Arcee is injured; seeing her wounded enough to "bleed" energon I think not only increases the drama of the moment, her own shock and pain, but also emphasizes 'Screamer's underhanded (no pun intended :p ) actions.