Bleach DVD releases

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Bryan, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For you anime fanatics out there: How many Bleach episodes have been released stateside?

I'm up through 32 and Netflix doesn't haven't any more. But it seems that there's around 144 total so far?

Any word on a release schedule?

2. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    According to www.animeondvd.com, DVD 9 (episodes 33-36) will be released March 18th. Unfortunately, they don't have any information on 10 and beyond.

3. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    is bleach any good?

4. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Bleach is a great series Soundwave if you like the action type of anime, its also got comedy in there. I'd recommend you watch the subtitled Japanesee versions if possible. That American version is ok though, they change Shinigami to Soul Repears and the chants to the kido a bit. I think the Shinigami thing was because it translates to Death God in English.

As for the DVDs, going up to about episode 36 seems right the US airing is only on episode 51 and they are also a bit weird on how often new episodes air.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to find out. The current releases ended on a crap flashback episode with Renji and Yukio, and it was weak.

Site saved for the future.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Renji / Rukia flashback was pretty good, I felt. It was nice to find out the past of the characters, I'm a sucker for episodes like that.

(Are they really translating her name as Yukio? Or am I getting her mixed up with someone else?)

At any rate, I'm getting the season box sets once they're out with the uncut Japanese audio, that's how I already saw them so it'd be nice to have proper releases.

Bleach is an awesome series BTW, very much in the same vein as Dragonball Z except the fights don't last for more than four or five episodes unless they're cutting between different scenes and stuff. The current Arrancar / Hueco Mundo arc is very good stuff, the Arrancar are very awesome villains with some powers that make the Shinigami seem weak.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, I'm sure your spelling is correct. I was just typing it out the way I hear it in my head.

And yeah, the episode by itself was great...but ending on it indefinitely after seeing the 31 previous episodes build up the story was weak. I was like, "Dammit, really?"

And I'm loving Bleach. I watch almost no anime--love animation, but can't seem to get into most anime. The cultural differences just jar me too much. But Bleach works for me. Can't wait to see more.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Bleach is good for the first 60 or so episodes then there is the inevitable FILLER ARC that goes on for 50 or so episodes. No where near as bad as Naruto's "150 or more filler eps" This happens because the anime is animated faster than they can make the manga(and manga is usually a weekly). This led to the Freeza fight being 50 episodes in DBZ and Runoni Kenshin having a crappy ending.

9. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Hell, even the "Soul Society" Arc in the comic book is irritatingly lengthy (I just borrow these books from the Library, so that might be an attributing factor there), but at least they get somewhere quicker than the Anime does. In other words, the Magna's better but only if you've got the tolerance to read it.

And as of late, I cannot watch an Anime with the Japanese Dub unless I'm watching Escaflowne (or the English Dub in whatever Anime I'm watching, is bad); After listening to several Japanese Dubs of my Favorite Anime, the language just began to sound a bit Redundant to me (and all the voices sounded identical to each other), it just kinda all ran together and became jibberish. However, I'm considering listening to the remaining seasons of Bleach in Japanese.

The English Dub is good, considering that it comes from a Viz Production, there are some great voice actors that portray their characters well. I just think the voice actors just overdo it sometimes; especially Johnny Yong Bosch and several other voice actors [for the soul reapers. I.E., Renji and the Soul Reaper villains], who as of late is the "go-to-guy" for the cocky, arrogant male characters in cartoons or video games (IMHO, anyhow). Not to mention that I haven't been able to stand a Anime that dragged out since Dragon Ball Z (when their arcs were good) and I think that's where my patience for that kind of thing died.

10. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Bleach is golden for those first 20 episodes or so, then it's (essentially) a lot of filler mixed in with some good/excellent episodes til 60. Then it's completely awful filler til ~110 or so...then it picks up and becomes wonderful again for the most part, and then it becomes (essentially) a lot of filler mixed in with some good/excellent episodes from 120-160 (which is the most recent arc).

It's a fun/stupid show to watch...the biggest complaint I have with it is that they have a lot of truly interesting material to work with, but they try to focus on too many characters and include too much unnecessary filler (as there are times when it feels as though the "comedy" bits are in there just to fill up time).

There are also some continuity issues, where rules and laws that govern the Bleach universe, set early in the series, are broken for the sake of convenience. These show up most prevalently after the Soul Society arc wraps around episode 65, though.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya I really put Bleach and Kenshin in the same ballpark as both are great shows with great ideas but are cursed with only having one great ark surrounded by painstaking filler.