Blake's 7

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Scourge_151, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone else here a fan of the show?

I've finally watched sereis' C and D, and am very satisfied.

The special effects may be ropey, even for the time, but such a strong cast and great writing more than make up for it.

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Cant say I have, but I looked it up and it sounds interesting. Makes me think of Captain Harlock for some reason.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Great show, althougth its been donkeys since I last watched it.

Certainly the best SF TV show of the years it was on, althougth thats not hard when your competition is Buck Rogers, Old BSG and the declining years of Who 4.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Yep, count me as a fan.

I bought a small Corgi die cast Star Ship at a flea market before I was 10 and played around with it growing up as just some generic starship. Then sometime in the early 90's, my local PBS station, to which I watched Doctor Who and other shows started airing Blakes 7. I was roped in, but amazed to see that the Star Ship was actually a later run of the Corgi Liberator mold, this time in different colors (blue-gray and yellow). So not only did I watch the series as a kid, but I even had a toy of the ship! I watched the series, and really enjoyed it, though I didn't care at all for the last season.

About 4 years ago, during the course of something on some message board, I ended up finding out about the series on DVD, though only available in the UK, and region locked, but still available. I believe as part of whatever it was that was going on (sorry, memory is fuzzy on that), I ended up getting the first 3 series for ubercheap from Amazon UK, including the deluxe set of series 3 with... An official Corgi Die Cast Liberator, in the proper colors!

Unfortunately, due to formating, I can only watch the DVD's on my computer, while my living room DVD player is region free, they end up being in black and white. As an adult, and seeing episodes like the real first episode, I fell in love with the series all over again. It was cheaply made, and sometimes it really showed, but it was a great take on a Robin Hood in space against 1984.

Personally, I couldn't stand the last series, after the loss of the Liberator I felt the show had lost it's soul, among other problems, so in my own personal fanon, the series concludes at series 3, on an almost equally dismal end note.

Heck, I've got a Blakes 7 Modpack for the PC game Star Trek: Bridge Commander so that I can Captain the Liberator, and I've wasted many hours destroying dozens of enemy ships with it.

Finally, when I got my Hybrid almost 4 years ago now, I had named it Liberator for the Milage Databases where I keep my fuel purchase records when it asked for a vehicle name. A good sized vehicle with advanced technology ahead of every vehicle on the road, quadrupling my range compared to my last vehicle, and giving me freedom from gas prices, it seemed rather apropriate.

5. Scourge_151

I do quite like the last series, especially 'Stardrive' , shows how nasty Avon could really be.

6. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife and I recently finished watching the entire series from start to finish. There's an empty space now that we're done with it. I had seen a lot of it on PBS back when they were showing Who 4 episodes when I was a child. Loved the show. Very sad ending.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I don´t like shows where the badguys win.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Blake's 7 was a great show - one of the greatest series endings ever. Like some of the others have already said, my PBS station aired it for awhile back in the late 90s (alongside Red Dwarf and Willima Hartnell-era Doctor Who). It was a great show with a good cast of morally ambiguous "heroes." I haven't seen it in years, but I'd love to watch it again.

A couple years back I heard rumors of a sequel being planned. I imagine it's been abandoned by now, but I'd really like to see something new done with the concept. I think it would really lend itself well to a Battlestar Galactica-esque remake. Especially since a dark and angsty Blake would be a lot truer to the spirit of its source material than the Galactica remake was.

You know, Gareth Thomas (Blake) showed up in a series 1 episode of Torchwood. I thought that was pretty cool, seeing him again.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Then you are missing one HELL of a ride in this case.

10. Nemesis Prime I

Nemesis Prime I Nemesis Prime Transforms!

I Remember the show when i was a Litter I watche Blake's 7 was First Time in Early 90's. Then I was 11 or 13 at Feel Trip to Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester. I upstairs to Old Sci-Fi Movies and Televisions Section, I look at Classic Alien Statue on the Window Glass. I Saw Cordi Starship next to Ultraman Tin box.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've seen a few episodes here and there, and I like what I see. Avon is one hell of a bastard and Orac, their smart arse computer, is hilarious. Once the DVD sets start coming down in price, they'll start appearing on my shelf.

12. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Love this show! A friend of mine got me into it at the same time I got her into Beast Wars and we noticed some interesting parallels between both shows. Not surprising in some ways as JMS says he was influenced by B7 when making Babylon 5, and Larry DiTillio worked on B5 and brought some of that influence to BW.

Both shows are 52 eps. Blake is lost around the exact same time as Optimus Primal. The Axalon is lost around the exact same time as the Liberator. Plus the similar character archtypes.

Primal is like Blake.
    Dinobot is like Avon. (Mixed with Worf from ST: TNG)
    Rattrap is like Vila.
    Cheetor is like Tarrant.
    Rhinox is like Gan, with a bit of Cally's calming influence thrown in for good measure.

Not to mention all the character deaths in both shows.

But it's really the cracking dialogue that pairs up the best:

Who died and made you Blake?
    Vila, Voice from the Past

Who died and made you Prime, Scaleface?
    Rattrap, Chain of command

You've go an army of five Blake, Five and him! Do you still think you can take over this ship?
    Avon, Spacefall

Yeah, heh, heh. All five of us. You mean Chopperface is going with...we're all gonna die.
    Rattrap, Pilot Pt. 2

You have to be careful, some of the plants around here have an intelligence rating.
    Well, that's a comfort, I would hate to be eaten by something stupid.
    Blake and Vila, Time Squad

You see, we've learned something.
    Yes, from now on I shoot my dinner salad before I eat it!
    Primal and Dinobot, Gorilla Warfare

Sentiment breeds weakness. Let it get ahold of you and you are dead.
    Avon, Terminal

Sentiment! The more time I spend with you Maximals, the more I wonder how you survived so long.
    Dinobot, Law of the Jungle

Careful Avon, your sentiment is showing.
    Blake, Terminal

Ah, Maximal sentiment. Oh, I must have been defective to defect.
    Dinobot, Coming of the Fuzors Pt. 2

I don't believe in suicide. It stunts your growth.
    Vila, City at the Edge of the World

Suicide is not in my job description.
    Rattrap

This is stupid Avon.
    When did that ever stop us?
    Vila and Avon

You realize this is crazy.
    Sometimes crazy works.
    Rattrap and Primal

There are plenty more but that's just a taste for your amusement. But if you enjoy Dinobot/Rattrap you'll love Avon/Vila!

13. Scourge_151

Fortunately Blake's 7 is one of those shows with an ending that isn't clearly defined, and substantially up to your own interpretation of what has happened which you cannot see.

14. oddsey

oddsey Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman?

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

Class show.
    Loved it as a kid, but haven't seen it in a long time. Definitely a candidate for a remake.

15. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or a continuation.

16. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

An old thread to dig up I know, but I'm just after finishing season 3 and about to start watching season 4. I hadn't heard of the show until a year or two ago when I started looking for vintage Who.

I think the show really hit a high with 3 and its a shame to have lost the Liberator

Servilan is a thundering bitch

Excellent dialogue, goofy effects that are instantly forgiven and moral ambiguity in space, what more could you want?

A remake or continuation would be excellent, I'd be happy to see the Doctor turn up on their ship in a future season, anything, more of this!

Now to Season 4

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  18. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Oh excellent, I've been meaning to look into the audio plays that are out there, heard there are a lot of them for the Doctor already, so will have to keep an eye out for these too.

I was looking into it and there was a remake in development for a Sky produced relaunch, but the bottom fell out of it for whatever reason, pity.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Hey, there is already thread for this.

There's been some new developments on the revised series: BBC News - Blake's 7 cult BBC classic 'to be remade for Xbox Live'

Microsoft is apparently going to finance a pilot for airing on XBox Live. Not sure why Microsoft is involved and SyFy apparently isn't now, but whatever gets it made.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The new thing is all companies want exclusive ip's for their internet networks now that Netflix has proven it' can be a success with shows like House of cards. And that's the new thing everyone is making these networks. We'd have more but the US has crappy internet due to the cable and phone companies wanting to keep the status quo on their cable channels. So they aren't investing in building the infrastructure like other countries have. That way they can keep their local market monopolies on TV.