Blade Runner, I have a complicated question

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Recall, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Currently watching Blade Runner for like the billionth time and there is a segment within the film that for some reason doesn't sit well with I. Its where Leon and Deckard confront each other and Leon beats the crap out of Deckard. What is said between the two just seems odd, as if some other meaning is behind what is said, and I thought maybe someone could possibly clarify and help answer my question concerning them.

This is what is said:

Leon: "How long do I live?"
    Deckard: "Four years."
    Leon throws Deckard into the side of a truck, knocks away Deckard’s gun
    Leon: "More than you!"
    Leon swings a punch towards Deckard, but Deckard ducks...

Its the "More than you" line that raises the question. Obviously its a threat, Leon wants to kill Deckard for what he did to Zhora but if Deckard is human of course he has lived longer than four years no matter when Deckard dies, so the "More than you" line makes no literal sense.

Or is it implying Deckard is too a replicant and is on a limited life span, so by Leon killing Deckard he will reach his four years before obviously Deckard will. If that's the case does Deckard know he is a replicant? It seems a very off hand response.

Basically is it a very badly written threat or is there more to the line than that?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I think you can take it either way. The writers have always insisted that they never intended for Deckard to be a Replicant, but Ridley Scott shot the film with the intention that he was.

I don't see a problem with the line if its not a Replicant reference, its a common line for that sort of scene and Leon isn't a particularly intelegent or articulate character like Batty.

3. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

The guy who made the movie pretty much says that Deckkard is a Replicate.
    Kinda like how Dumbledore is now gay because J.K. Rowling says so.

It's not stated within the fiction but if the creator says it I guess it's true.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It produces mixed messages through out the entire movie which I suppose creates this issue, which in the end I guess is one of the many reasons people love it :) 

I agree Leon doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the draw and can agree with it being a line thats fine for the context of the actual scene. I suppose I was just looking into it too much.

It wasn't a concern of wether Deckard is a replicant or not but just how the scene played out. Its like Leon knew something than Deckard didn't.

5. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

What a twist!

Maybe he sensed it?

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

In before ChildsPlay comes in and states how "bad this movie is".

Smh.

7. RabidYak

Not a difficult thing to do considering that virtually the entire film invites you to think about what you've seen and draw an opinion, it woulden't be half the masterpiece that it is if the characters sat around spewing verbal diahorrea like allot of the higher profile SF movies.

Living proof that being entitled to an opinion isn't the same as being entitled to having it listened to or taken seriously.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I personally took it that replicants can pick up on replicant traits easyer than a human can, also linked in to why Deckard was so good at spotting them even if he didn't know he was one but I've got to admit its been well over 10 years since I watched the film so if i were to watch now I could well think totally different.

9. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I think you're looking too deep into it. I'm taking it to mean:

Leon: How long do I live?
    Deckard: Four years.
    Leon: Ha ha! You have a longer lifespan than I, yet you're going to die before I do!

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

It can be interpreted in various ways, but when I watched the movie the first time, the impression I had after that scene was the same as yours.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I figured it, implying he's going to murder Deckard, with a "you're a replicant" twist just to drive the potential point home further.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have always taken it as, Deckard telling him he has a 4 year lifespan. and in that moment, leon says I will live longer than you, as he is trying to kill Deckard.
    it is a woefully awkward line by all means.

i mean, leon also has a line that he says, "wake up, time to die" but we don't disassemble that line for meaning.

and lastly, Rachel was designed to never know what she was, and was specially modified to have a lengthened lifespan.
    whatever Scott thunk or felt i don't care.
    i just like the fact that deckard may be a replicant- he doesn't know for sure about anything anymore.

which, brings us full circle. Those replicants had questions for their creator. why am i here, what am i here for, how much time do i have...
    and to me, it is the one thing that makes the replicants the most human- puts them in the same helpless, boat as us.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just think it was a threat, nothing more.

Bear in mind, replicants cannot 'sense' other replicants, and if it were common knowledge that replicants were brought online as Blade Runners, surely the best way to get out of being retired would be to shout out 'you're a replicant too!'

On another note, how are you watching this? Because HD was made for this film. Its like a whole new film!

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

This.

Bladerunner is my fav film ever, and always great for generating topics to chew over. However in this case I think you're overcomplicating an otherwise simple scene.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There’s so many versions of this film.
    I have the HD-DVD and in the ‘Final Cut’ they give even more clues that Deckard is a replicant.
    Gaff makes origami creatures that match the dreams Deckard is having.
    Coincidence, or does he somehow know what Deckard is dreaming, like having records of what he is programmed to dream.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this. Everyone else is trying to make bacon from apples, and only pigs do that.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It was just a query, no obscure cooking is going on.

19. RabidYak

I've taken it as the latter, like how Deckard knows Racheal's story about the spiders. That then raises the question of whether its just Gaff that knows or if Bryant and/or Tyrell were in on it as well.

The Unicorn stuff was first put back in by the 1992 DC, althougth the FC has a more complete version of the dream.

20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I know, right. Imagine if everyone listened to and trusted the opinion of the fans of this movie and went to watch it for themselves...the horror.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.