Blackout is NOT too backheavy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Peaugh, May 26, 2007.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    What everyone is complaining about being a stand because he's too backheavy is the button you push to make his blades spin. True, it can also function as a stand, but his backpack isn't cause for him to fall over, as evidenced by the following:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just attached his backpack upside down, and there's no hidden supports anywhere, or any creative transformation or posing "tricks" to get him to stay upright. This guy is STABLE. Just helping to dispel some of the complaints, since I wasn't too big on the guy either until I had him in my hands. :) 

2. Armada_MK

Armada_MK Emissary of Primus

News Credits:
    Kool this case is closed:) 

3. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

are the panels the arms are on secure, as it not likely to droop awquardly over time?

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They seem very secure on mine.

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    The panels that attach the ams to the shoulder? They're hinged off of the panel the backpack is attached to, AND they peg onto the main body fairly securely. As long as you don't break the tabs they attach to the arms will be fine.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    For some reason, even when scorpy's not in it, the cage thing seems to fall open all the time, even when it was securely pegged in. Also, Mines elbows and left leg are really loose.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Awesome! Makes me want it even more.

8. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Can't wait to get mine in the mail Tuesday! This will be 4 movie figs already!!

I'm picky so sue me!!

9. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    June 2nd can't come any closer

10. Prowl S

Prowl S Marine Poolee

Wouldn't hide him in a fox hole like that though. I think his back would be a little exposed.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

To be fair, the way you have the backpack attached, the centre of gravity is tilted slightly forward, so it's not really a true test. However, I agree.. he's not really that back-heavy. Or rather, he IS back-heavy, but he has the right supports to sustain it (those spurs on his heels make quite a difference). Even while wielding the propeller on one shoulder, he is still able to pose quite securely in a straight position.

Besides the weight issue though, there's no denying that's one big hunk o' helicopter he's got hanging... no-- trailing off his back. It would have been nice if they'd been able to reduce it to some degree.

Besides that though, I agree that this is a great figure. I like him a lot, and coming from a so-called movie-hater, that should be a ringing endorsement. :) 

zmog

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's more due to the rotor spinning gimmick. Since the plunger goes all the way up through the tail, they can't really do anything with the tail. They could have moved the trigger up underneath the rotor, like with Evac, but that doesn't feel as nice to me for some reason.

If that plunger wasn't there, though, they could have split the tail, and had the halves collapse up alongside the rotor, which would have better approximated his look in the movie.

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that side pic was actually the first one I took, and I noticed the angled backpack. IF you look at the first two pics, which I took after the side view, you'll see that I straightened the back pack to go straight up and down.

Yeah, That I agree with. I'm not super against it, but it would have been nice if they'd been able to reduce his back kibble a bit.

14. SMOG

Ironic Rick Astley nostalgic reference FTW! :) 

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    But Evac's rotor has a way smoother action. It spins like, forever.

16. lester_ninja

lester_ninja Member

I returned my blackout. Mostly because there was glue or paint in his eye, but I also wasn't really pleased with how much weight was on that propeller piece. If you remove it hes almost as small as a deluxe. He seems dwarfed by Ratchet. I would have been happy if there was no propeller gimmick at all and they just compinsated by making his weight more evenly distributed.

It's probably not likely to happen, but I'm still hoping for Leader Class Blackout. I wish they were not going with Leader Starscream and Bonecrusher... if that is true.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    There are no Leader SS or Voyager Bonecrusher.

18. SMOG

At first, my Blackout's spinning action was really sticky. Like you would get a spin for about as long as it took to push the button in and then it would stop.

I don't know what happened, but now suddenly, it spins freely, like Evac's rotor does. It's like the gears were mis-aligned or something just worked itself out. I recommend fooling around with the rotor, transforming it to weapon mode and stuff... it might loosen up like mine did.

zmog