Blackberry Storm 2?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipwreck, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I was wondering if there are any blackberry fans around here... I'm interested in getting a new phone and i get a discount from Verizon in October but my contract doesn't expire until Jan. So I'm debating on if i should get the rumored Storm 2 that comes on in September or wait and get an Iphone in jan? What are your opinions of the two phones?

2. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Coming from an iPhone lover, I'm enthralled with my new Storm 1. Can't put it down. From what I know, teh only BIG improvement in the Storm 2 will be the addition of wi-fi. You may want to recheck and talk to someone at Verizon, because they had a huge rebate going on and I got mine for $59 after rebate, NOT with a New-Every-2, I was only at 14 months or so.

That being said, make sure it's got the latest firmware updates because some of the earlier software patches had issues causing lags. It's also nice to have a Global phone. :) 

3. Shipwreck

I have the once a year rebate and the New-Every-2 one as well. How is the internet on it?

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    But ... the reviews on the Storm were horrible. I have my LG Voyager and love it ... I want to upgrade, not downgrade.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

No phone out there has the Smoothness of an iPhone Plain and Simple.

6. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Here's my opinion. Go for the storm. Why?

I fiddled with my friends iphone and its cool and all but its not really that awsome. I mean there isn't even expandable memory.

The storm has a memory slot, a touch screen, apps, and internet.

That's just my opinion though.

7. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Reviews on the Storm are divided, you either love it or hate it, but most places I found seemed to have a fairly even split. And most of those complaints (like I mentioned earlier: lagging or spontaneous rebooting) were addressed in firmware updates. The Storm just wasn't ready to be released at street date, IMO. Internet is ok. a bit slow, but more than serviceable if you aren't using it for your primary web source.

Another perk for the Storm over the iPhone is that you can tether it for internet access where you can't with the iPhone. Also, teh Storm says it supports up to 16GB microSD, which is all that's out now, but if you search the RIM forums, they're said that 32GB support is ready, as soon as 32GB microSD is available to the public, just as an FYI.

The ONLY complaint I have (if you can consider it a complaint) is the limited number of apps/games compared to Apple. But if that's your primary reason for a touch screen, you probably aren't looking at Blackberries anyways.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I do not own either, but I personally would recommend the Storm. Why? Verizon. To me, verizon is much better of a company overall than AT&T. I have verizon for my personal phone, and ATT with my work phone. I've had to deal with each in terms of quality and service. ATT has deadzones where I've had little to no signal, and their customer service, if you ever get someone on the phone, is worse. Verizon is the opposite. Always have had a great signal everywhere, and customer service has been great to me so far.

I've been in this debate myself, and if I ever bite the bullet on getting a smartphone for personal use, it would be with whatever Verizon offers.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think your signal is because you're in the northeast. In the midwest, it's the exact opposite, and there's deadzones with Verizon that you won't get with AT&T.

10. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

The iphone has those aside from the one highlighted in red. Besides it's expandable up to 32gb memory which is cheaper yes, but who wants to hear a damn click sound everytime they touch something on the phone. Thankfully they are fixing that with the Storm 2.

11. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I don't hear a click sound... :-\

12. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

Wasn't that one of the big points it had about the Storm when it first came out. The guy picks it up in the commercial and presses the screen. He says "Whoa, did it just click?!" I remember messing with one a while back at circuit city and it was clicking and the screen would push down slightly.

13. kenm2474

I thought the same thing not owning one. Playing with it for 5 or 10 minutes isnt enough time to come to a full judgement. You need a few days to really see all the features and 95% of the time if you say it dosent have this or that...then there is the App. Store. As of July 14, 2009, there are over 65,000 third-party applications. Thats larger than any of the other companies combined.

EDIT: I mean there isn't even expandable memory.
    Thats why there is iTunes. So you can Delete, Change and Recover all the information you want instantly.
    The storm has a memory slot
    8G, 16G, and 32G(Not yet Available on SD memory) iPhones Available.
    a touch screen
    Yes it Dose. As of yet Nothing is as responsive as the iPhones Touch Screen
    apps
    Yes again. But no where near the capacity of the iTunes Apps. Store.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  14. Shipwreck

Which service is cheaper?

15. kenm2474

Hmmm..Between Who? I think that between Verizon and AT&T they are pretty close. I personaly hate AT&T as they aquired an exclusivity Contract to the iPhone but their Network cannot handle it. They charge for things that are typically free with other companies such as AT&T Navigation $10.00 a month while its free with the unlimited package with Verizon & Sprint. AT&T cant handle MMS with the iPhone as their Network again cant handle it. Also Bluetooh transfer is unavailable due to AT&T because their Network cant handle it.

16. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I bought the storm a few months ago since I couldn't get an iPhone because of my verizon contract, let me tell you, I love this phone. All the problems the iPhone has are not issues with my storm. Believe me, I wanted the iphone, I got an of dare, pocket of, whatever I could find that was similar. Yes it clicks, but not loudly, yes the screen moves, but not an issue for me. I even got an iPhone theme so it has an iPhone screen.
    I vote storm, every time. (unless verizon gets the iPhone... God help me if they do)

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    What are you talking about? ATT network cant' handle bluetooth? huh? My bluetooth capable phone is 3 years old, and it's hardly the oldest. I use bluetooth all the time. it's a direct connection, it doesn't even use a network at all, regardless of provider.

18. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    No Audible clicks for me. Yes, the screen does depress down, so you feel a pressure "click" I guess you could call it, but no sound at all, which for me, is good, because no more accidendal putton pushes.

But with the Storm, it's plug and play (the phone), you don't have to use a proprietary software that governs your files for you, you can also store any files you want, not just files recognized by iTunes, thus making it MUCH more flexible. And plugging it into a different PC won't automatically wipe out everything on it if you forget to check settings before you change PCs and have your entire library synched with an empty one... :sly2: 

But they aren't upgradeable, you have to buy a whole new phone. microSD cards can be changed pretty well on the fly for almost unlimited storage or gataloging. when the 32GB come out, you could store 1TB of date in a matchbox, versus needing 30 different phones.

No arguement at all on those points.

I had to add the $30 data package to my existing phone package, which adds unlimited data and up to 10 non-Exchange email accounts. For those 2 you need to choose the $45 add-on, but unless work pays for it you probably don't need those.

19. kenm2474

iPhones run diffrently than AT&Ts other phones. Thats why older phones such as yours is able to Bluetooth transfer and have MMS. Not so with the iPhone. AT&Ts Network cant handle it. Thats why its trying desperately to get MMS going by late summer. It should have been done at the very beginning.

20. yodafett

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I thought that was a limitation with the iPhone OS, which is why it was so nice to have Bluetooth added in the 3.0 update last month? or is that only for peripherals?