Minor/Repaint: Black Zarak

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GeoKaiser, Aug 17, 2014.

1. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:
    Black Zarak: I aim to own an original one day, but made this to display in the meantime (actually, I'll probably only display this one even when I own the fragile original!). This is a repainted G1 Scorponok (or several frankenstein'd Scorponoks anyway) with a KO Zarak headmaster and a partial Darkov resin kit for the key Black Zarak items (head, staff, visor, etc). The resin parts are of OK quality and fit a bit loose. A few minor modifications were made to make these usable on this figure. The Darkov staff was warped and very fragile, so I replaced the long part of the staff with tubing that will be more sturdy and lengthened it a bit too. All red parts received new red paint and the gold was custom mixed to look closer to the original's hideous "gold" plastic. Thanks to Concepts in Chrome, the chest and the leg guards are actually gold "chrome". The stickers are from Reprolabel's Scorponok kit (I also tried the other repro-set that is on Ebay, but felt this was of better quality although frankly neither look exactly like the real thing close-up). I have not yet acquired all of the smaller accessories to paint for the full city mode; but after years I finally have a body for my HeadRobots Night Rider!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Very nice work on this. You ask me, no point in owning the GPS-prone original when you have this.

3. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man I wish I hadn't missed out on that kit :( 

4. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    That is beautiful! Could you tell us a little more on replacing the staff? This really is a better BZ than the original will ever become. I've had mine on display since a couple of years now and I will never want to spend that amount of cash anymore on something I could make myself. (Anyone offering resin pieces for Greatshot!?)

Awesome job and I hope had fun making it!

iDD

5. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

Magnificent! I have had 1 of these half painted for about a year now and this makes me want to finish it up. You did a knockout job. If I was you I wouldnt even waste money on the real thing as great as this looks.

6. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm working on the same repaint myself. Where did you find the repro parts? I keep looking, but can't find anything.

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

OP said Darkov? I thought Darkov didn't do repro parts anymore but maybe they were purchased when he still did.

8. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:
    I'm not sure he still does, but i was able to successfully get a partial set a while back near the end of his run. That's why some of the parts were a bit flawed, I think. I did see him selling some on Ebay a year ago or so. Not trying to start a Darkov discussion here, there are whole threads about him.

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    beautiful, dude. just spot on! Yeah, wish Takatom did somehow decide to release an Encore BZ into the re-issue line someday! :cry :

10. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:

Thanks

I used a dremel to cut the ends off and carve little pegs on the ends of the pieces that fit in to a plasitc tube I had in my junk bin. I think it came off a foil balloon that my kid had (I keep anything that may be used for kitbashing one day lol). The new staff is not toy accurate but will be sturdy and more impressive because it is longer. It still comes apart for storage. The staff was warped pretty bad when I got it. It also drooped more over time in display and snapped quickly when I tried to correct it.

Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

11. batfan007

batfan007 Grimstrong Shipper

News Credits:
    Yeah, him and Overlord seem like strange choices never to reissue.

Such an awesome custom, I agree with the others, why bother with an original which is going to fade and crumble when you've done such a great job with this custom.

12. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    That is tip-top.

13. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    That is really slick. It's nice to see a BZ that doesn't look like it'll crumble with a slight breeze.

14. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:
    Pics restored...thanks for nothing Photobucket

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

A work of art!!

16. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Wow that "gold plastic" paint mix you made is absolutely beautiful and went on soooo smooth!