Black Transformers Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backscatter, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Over the years, mostly from Takara and eHobby we've seen Black Transformers. Black Transformers used to be rare. Sometimes even appearing as Lucky Draws. Nowadays, well since RID/CR there's at least one Transformer appeaing in Black and often Teal. No TF Generation now is without any, at least that I know of. Not all Black Transformers are automatically "Nemesis" either. Anyway, my questions are this:

Is there any stroyline, either cannon or fan created, that speaks of the reason for Black Transformers?

Something that could explain why not all Black Transformers are Nemesis? e.g THS-02B Hybrid Style Convoy Black Version really isn't a Nemesis Convoy?

2. Master Sing

Master Sing G1 OG

It would be wrong to assume that all black transformers should be labeled as Nemesis because stereotyping is wrong...

especially during Black History Month...

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a painfully obvious answer. No disrepect to Black Histroy Month in my questions. I was not equating these questions to humans.

4. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

LOL Black was associated with evil long before it would ever be compared with race.... black is symbolic of a darker side of things, evil, corruption, yang.. At least for me anyway, i see a black truck i think... this dude is gonna fuck people up. Dont bring race into the color of toys lol.

5. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

They're just going to use "Nemesis" as a new name anyway to get credit cards.

As for stories for black Transformers, I'm pretty sure that the Prime repaints (Nucleon Quest, RID, Armada), Robot Masters Victory Leo/Star Saber ehobby set, black repaints in Cybertron (LeoJack and Nitro Convoy) did, while things like the black G1 Hot Rod, Starscream, and original Prime didn't.

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Not sure if there is/was any story behind it. IMO, its just another way to produce a repaint. Could be wrong about the story stuff, though...I'm sure there's something out there.

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Heh. And here I thought this would be a question about "Why are all black Transformers white?" Seriously, Jazz, Tigatron, Rapid Run... well, okay, Rapid Run's a real light gray, but you get the point...

8. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As far as official stories to back up black TFs...

From G1 I don't think there's any official story behind the black JafCon Prime, but Nucleaon Quest Prime, just judging from the name, must have something to do with Nucleaon.

In RiD, Scourge was supposed to be a clone of a cross between Optimus and a tanker truck, at least according to his specs. There was also the black Lucky Draw Optimus, but I don't think there was any storyline behind that piece.

In Armada, Nemisis Prime made an appearance and seem to be controlled by Sideways/Unicron.

In Cybertron, Nemisis Breaker was an evil clone of Leo Breaker.

In the Robot Masters series, the black repaints were, I think, powered up versions of the regular character.

According to his box, THS2B (black Prime) is black so he can absorb more solar energy to power his weapons.

I think that covers it. Did I miss anything?

9. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Red & Blue robots think they're better than Black and Teal robots..
    & White robots named Ultra magnus think their better then both of them.
    LOL!

Seriously, Optimus+white=UM? A good clone, A bad clone, and Optimus?

10. Master Sing

Master Sing G1 OG

None taken... A brotha was just havin' a little fun to make work go by faster.... It's good to see that the rest of y'all got a sense of humor and that my little 'joke' was taken in good taste... payceout

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wasn't there a backstory to all of the black robot masters releases?

12. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

I made a comic about this issue...well, sorta

13. A Lance

A Lance Give me your hugs

Because black is sexy, anything painted black is instantly cool and lets face it, people shell out the dosh for black transformers(or any toy/anime robot for that matter).

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Black Convoy, Beast Convoy, Starscream, and Beast Megatron were all powered up with Solitarium, the energy source the story plot is about. Black Star Saber and Victory Leo on the other hand are separate characters. Decepticon clones I believe. They have con symbols on them.

Black Nitro Convoy is basically the exact same as Black Liger Jack (Nemesis Breaker.) A clone made by Galvatron.

Black Lio Convoy doesn't have a back story, but Galva Lio Convoy does. He's basically another Black Lio Convoy. He's another evil clone, though I believe he's supposed to be a combination of Lio Convoy and Galvatron. Hence the name.

FYI, as far as I know, the only lucky draw figures that have any kind of backstory to them are Galva Lio Convoy, Gold Masterpiece Convoy, and Green Micron Energy Unicron.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

It seems like sort of a wasted opportunity that "Nemesis Prime" was never equated with "dead Prime" (as far as I know). Since Prime (and others) took on that black/grey ashen color scheme when they died, Nemesis Prime could be sort of a re-animated, zombie Prime.... having the body of Prime but a different spark (or no spark at all). That seems a lot more interesting to me than the tired ideas of "evil clone" or "evil twin."

I don't know, maybe they've already done something like this. Has there ever been a connection between Black Prime and Dead Prime?

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Sorry, but no.

Black Lio Convoy was from BWII episode 18, titled "Black Lio Convoy". The story was about how the Destrons had found a rock/gem thing that created a pure evil version of whatever it "zaps". First they zap BB, creating a remorseless killing machine that nearly destroys them, then they decide to use it on Lio Convoy, and create Black Lio Convoy.

Actually, Takara wasn't prone to giving us black repaints for the hell of it for years; we got a story, a manga, or a cartoon featuring the character with an explaination.

Nucleon Quest Super Convoy: Before the great rebirth of Cybertron, at a period of all time low energy, Super Convoy and HiQ modified themselves so that they could survive close proximity to a black hole. There, they were able to gather tremendous amounts of Nucleon energy to power Cybertron.

Black Big Convoy: A creation of Vector Sigma to fight off the Blendtron (Unicrons soldiers in BWNeo) Invasion force that was headed to Cybertron before it got there. Vector Sigma based the form of his champion off Big Convoy.

Black G1 Hot Rod: I'm not 100% sure on this one, and I don't feel like looking it up, but as I recall, he shared an origin with Black Lio Convoy, made from another black rock/gem thing.

Black Robotmasters were modified to use Solitarium, except as mentioned, Black Victory Saber.

Black G1 Prime, Dark Fire Convoy (RiD Prime), Black Rodimus (Energon), and a few others don't have an origin story/media support as I recall.